UK to formulate Irish border proposals 'in a few days': Hunt

webfact

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

It would be politically impossible for EU not to allow Scotland becoming a member,

that would be contrary to everything EU stands for and works for.

Rubbish.

The EU told Scotland clearly that the UK was the member state. Should Scotland leave the UK they would automatically leave the EU. Scotland, as a sovereign independent nation would be free to apply for EU membership if it could meet all the required criteria and agree to all the rules for new member; oh and would have to join the queue.

Donald Tusk even refused, and who can blame him, to meet Sturgeon when she flew to Brussels hoping to be told it "would be a formality". It won't and never will be just that.

3 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Rubbish.

The EU told Scotland clearly that the UK was the member state. Should Scotland leave the UK they would automatically leave the EU. Scotland, as a sovereign independent nation would be free to apply for EU membership if it could meet all the required criteria and agree to all the rules for new member; oh and would have to join the queue.

Donald Tusk even refused, and who can blame him, to meet Sturgeon when she flew to Brussels hoping to be told it "would be a formality". It won't and never will be just that.

well, I limit myself to echo the well known American fast food producer, Have it your way

you must be completely out of touch with European reality to promote that view

Scotland, recognised state re treaty of treaties, democratic, legal system in order, the governing system in order

Refused becoming member of EU?

As Burger KIng, Have it your way

sometimes it is extremely challenging to fathom what people can bring themselves to express in these threads

52 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Regardless of what the people want? Just impose it.

How wonderfully democratic.

A bit like the Scots and the NI must feel who’ve had the English brexit/tantrum thrust upon them. 

35 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

well, I limit myself to echo the well known American fast food producer, Have it your way

Scotland, recognised state re treaty of treaties, democratic, legal system in order, the governing system in order

sometimes it is extremely challenging to fathom what people can bring themselves to express in these threads

For a new Country to join the E.U. (Which Scotland would be doing) , every other E.U. member Country has to agree to them joining , if one country objects to them joining, the application is rejected  .

Some current E.U Countries are concerned about their own Countries splitting up , areas gaining Independence and them doing the same as Scotland , so, those Countries may veto Scotlands E.U application 

22 minutes ago, sanemax said:

For a new Country to join the E.U. (Which Scotland would be doing) , every other E.U. member Country has to agree to them joining , if one country objects to them joining, the application is rejected  .

Some current E.U Countries are concerned about their own Countries splitting up , areas gaining Independence and them doing the same as Scotland , so, those Countries may veto Scotlands E.U application 

as of today, all 28 must agree

so what?

refusing Scotland membership would be the death of EU

democratic country smack in Europe, no!

all the shakier new states in Yuogoslavia and further east, yes please; come here, become a member

jeez, give me a break

lots of noisy rhetoric OK,  flat refuse - no way

41 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It was a United Kingdom referendum, it wasnt an English referendum .

Indeed it was, but 2 of the 4 constituent parties to that United Kingdom don’t want a decision imposed on them by far away politicians.

The are totally within their rights to reconsider their membership of that United Kingdom should they not approve on the decision being imposed on them - imposed on them by people who are not even their own countrymen. 

Geez, where have I heard that one before? 

4 minutes ago, samran said:

Indeed it was, but 2 of the 4 constituent parties to that United Kingdom don’t want a decision imposed on them by far away politicians. Totally within their rights to reconsider their membership of that United Kingdom should they not approve on the decision being imposed on them - imposed on them by people who are not even their own countrymen. 

Geez, where have I heard that one before? 

London voted to remain as well , should London also seek Independence from the UK ?

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

London voted to remain as well , should London also seek Independence from the UK ?

Good one. I see what you did there. A diversion. I was talking about countries, but now you mention it, why not? It’s a major economic centre, probably subsidising half of the country, why shouldn’t they have more autonomy? 

What’s good for the goose should be good for the gander.

Or is leaving a political and economic arrangement that doesn’t suit your needs only allowed for the precious brexiters? 

1 hour ago, melvinmelvin said:

What currency would Scotland use to support their application? Scottish or English pounds?

22 minutes ago, billd766 said:

What currency would Scotland use to support their application? Scottish or English pounds?

whatever dollar they end up with if the separate from the UK

up to them

if they want to use GBP the would need an agreement with remainder-UK

7 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

whatever dollar they end up with if the separate from the UK

up to them

if they want to use GBP the would need an agreement with remainder-UK

I do find you post rather hard to understand .

Maybe you could use a few more words to express yourself ? 

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Not for the majority in the North it wouldn't!

Many ROI citizens don't support or want a united Ireland either.

The majority is made up of Sinn Fein, SDLP, Independents, and the Alliance party. All of which are nationalist.

The majority is in fact nationalist but whether or not they would vote for reunification I am not sure which greatly saddens me.

3 minutes ago, thequietman said:

The majority is made up of Sinn Fein, SDLP, Independents, and the Alliance party. All of which are nationalist.

The majority is in fact nationalist but whether or not they would vote for reunification I am not sure which greatly saddens me.

The Sinn Fein leader was on Andrew Marr show today. Bright lady, spoke well ...

12 minutes ago, Grouse said:

The Sinn Fein leader was on Andrew Marr show today. Bright lady, spoke well ...

She did indeed but I doubt there'll be many that can forget what lurks just beneath the surface or their part in preventing Stormont functioning for the last two years.

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

I do find you post rather hard to understand .

Maybe you could use a few more words to express yourself ? 

sorry, I'll have a go

if Scotland should separate from the UK they would need to have some kind of recognized currency

(which of course would be an element in any EU membership application should they desire such,

regardless of EU they would need some recognized currency)

(Scottish pounds are not really recognized)

options;

today Scotland uses GPB, they may desire to continue to use GPB,

that would require agreement with rest-UK.

some countries outside of US uses US dollars as national currency - a possible option

Scotland may seek agreement with EU to (prematurely) use Euro as the national currency

or they endeavour to establish their own Scottish currency,

build on today's Scottish pounds (hardlinked to GPB I think)

or something new, FFF, Firth of Forth Farthings, whatever

up to Scotland really

I am sure there are other options also, but recognized currency they need

3 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

as of today, all 28 must agree

so what?

refusing Scotland membership would be the death of EU

democratic country smack in Europe, no!

all the shakier new states in Yuogoslavia and further east, yes please; come here, become a member

jeez, give me a break

lots of noisy rhetoric OK,  flat refuse - no way

Many of the countries have separatist movements. Some have more than one area:- Spanish,Catalonia . France, Corsica,Germany,Bavaria.Italy, South Tyrol. The Netherlands, Fresia. Belgium, VVB. The list goes on. And remember it only requires for Just one country to veto an application.

Some of these areas,have strong separatist party,some do not.

I beleive this map is not all inclusive.

DD950238-D9FB-40FC-A7C5-7BEB0976086F.jpeg

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

Many Brits do not consider London, to now be part of the U.K.

While many Londoners and Americans consider this to be the U.K.

9B18F2F3-85B8-4EDE-BFB3-C091812BFEC9.jpeg

24 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Many of the countries have separatist movements. Some have more than one area:- Spanish,Catalonia . France, Corsica,Germany,Bavaria.Italy, South Tyrol. The Netherlands, Fresia. Belgium, VVB. The list goes on. And remember it only requires for Just one country to veto an application.

Some of these areas,have strong separatist party,some do not.

I beleive this map is not all inclusive.

DD950238-D9FB-40FC-A7C5-7BEB0976086F.jpeg

yep,

you are of course right, it only takes 1 to ditch an application

your map is pretty good, catches most, even the bits in Western Russia

complex picture indeed

not at all sure which ones are "near" reality

I guess split off of the Germans in Belgium and separation in two of the rest might happen

Catalonia? don't know

Faroe Island and Greenland are ongoing processes and will conclude in separate states at some future point I guess

NI and UK ??

Scotland and UK?

1 hour ago, nontabury said:

Many Brits do not consider London, to now be part of the U.K.

While many Londoners and Americans consider this to be the U.K.

9B18F2F3-85B8-4EDE-BFB3-C091812BFEC9.jpeg

How many? But then you just made that up, so there is no real point in asking.

14 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Well that’s the second of the ‘few days’ gone.

Any news on the promised proposal?

Remember when we could read about the likes of a civilised country such as Germany descending into madness? Well here we are again in 2019, only with iPads this time. I just don't know what else to say at this point.

It  would seems there are quite a few here who do not really understand Sein Fein and the reason behind the back stop.

Sein Fien hate the EU but the British more and they feel that the British leaving the EU will unite Ireland.

http://sluggerotoole.com/2016/06/06/the-economic-policies-of-the-eu-have-had-catastrophic-effects-on-the-lives-of-its-citizens/

10 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

isn't it 14th Feb that is the report back to parliament  date ?

so, still ample time

Hastily concocted ‘Irish Border Fix’ delivered on the last hour of the last day by Tory Ministers without any discussions with the Irish Government or the people of Ireland.

That’ll work!

Archived