UK to formulate Irish border proposals 'in a few days': Hunt

webfact

14 hours ago, Grouse said:

The Sinn Fein leader was on Andrew Marr show today. Bright lady, spoke well ...

"Can Marr & the BBC get any worse?  Watch this...

In his desperation to help stop Brexit, Marr comes close to pleading with Sinn Fein IRA to take their seats in Parliament.

To think, we have to contribute to Marr’s salary on penalty of criminal prosecution."

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

It  would seems there are quite a few here who do not really understand Sein Fein and the reason behind the back stop.

Sein Fien hate the EU but the British more and they feel that the British leaving the EU will unite Ireland.

http://sluggerotoole.com/2016/06/06/the-economic-policies-of-the-eu-have-had-catastrophic-effects-on-the-lives-of-its-citizens/

This is Sinn Fein actual policy

Brexit - Special status for the North within the EU - Sinn Féin believes that the only credible approach is for the north to be designated a special status within the EU and for the whole island of Ireland to remain within the EU together.

Sensible!

50 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Brexit - Special status for the North within the EU - Sinn Féin believes that the only credible approach is for the north to be designated a special status within the EU and for the whole island of Ireland to remain within the EU together.

Sensible!

Whilst this may be true now I remember Sinn Fein campaigning for out of the EU in Dublin a few years back', Their ultimate goal is a unified Ireland which is another discussion completely but their recent support for the EU, is for that reason only. I imagine they will go back campaigning for Ireland out of the EU wants the Brexit mess is done and dusted.

"The Sinn Féin position on European union has altered radically over the years. In the aftermath of Brexit it now finds itself in the curious position of having become an enthusiastic supporter of the EU. At its 2016 Ard Fheis which ratified the leadership’s decision to campaign in support of EU membership for the United Kingdom, Martin McGuinness declared: “The future of Ireland, north and south, is in the EU.”

http://brocairebooks.ie/wp/blog/sinn-fein-and-the-european-union/#primary

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

Sensible!

You can hardly have a pop at anyone else if you're that easily fooled.

What are your thoughts on the disappeared or the disparity that provided terrorists with get out of jail cards while continuing to allow Veterans in their 70s to be hounded?

6 minutes ago, evadgib said:

You can hardly have a pop at anyone else if you're that easily fooled.

What are your thoughts on the disappeared or the disparity that provided terrorists with get out of jail cards while continuing to allow Veterans in their 70s to be hounded?

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

Too off topic for this thread but I find myself closer to Sinn Fein than the DUP. Just my taste in hats plus the history

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

Too off topic for this thread but I find myself closer to Sinn Fein than the DUP. Just my taste in hats plus the history

You clearly weren't working in the centre of London during the height of the bombing campaign!

Having said this, I agree with your first sentence.

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Hastily concocted ‘Irish Border Fix’ delivered on the last hour of the last day by Tory Ministers without any discussions with the Irish Government or the people of Ireland.

That’ll work!

Why would there be discussions with the Irish government?

I know it makes good common sense but Eire comes under the EU rules and therefore TM will be speaking to the EU negotiators who in turn inform Eire what will happen or not.

IMO this is a major failing of the EU when you need 27 countries to endorse something and only one country to throw a spanner into the works and it grinds to a halt.

22 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Why would there be discussions with the Irish government?

I know it makes good common sense but Eire comes under the EU rules and therefore TM will be speaking to the EU negotiators who in turn inform Eire what will happen or not.

IMO this is a major failing of the EU when you need 27 countries to endorse something and only one country to throw a spanner into the works and it grinds to a halt.

Your ‘major failing of the EU’ is subjective.

From the Irish side of the border it’s a major positive.

Ireland is not prey to a British whim, and has, with EU backing, a powerful voice in the Brexit negotiations.

The same powerful voice the UK has been enjoying as a member of the EU but will miss when the UK goes cap in hand begging for trade deals from the US, China and India.

Enjoy.

26 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Ireland is not prey to a British whim, and has, with EU backing, a powerful voice in the Brexit negotiations.

The same powerful voice the UK has been enjoying as a member of the EU but will miss when the UK goes cap in hand begging for trade deals from the US, China and India.

Enjoy.

You seem very bitter that the UK people have voted in a democratic referendum and have voted to leave the EU. Why?

Sadly my Irish cousins were not strong enough and caved in when they  had the opportunity to leave the EU. They believe Sinn Fein will be like UKIP eventually and get them out.

Ireland are being used in my opinion by the EU to keep us in the Customs Union.

Once Ireland realises how much they will be losing and that they are being used by the EU's.

The Republic’s trade with the UK is worth about €65 billion a year and sustains over 400,000 jobs on both islands. Irish farmers and dairies sell 100,000 tonnes of cheese to the UK every year while more than half of the Republic’s €2.5 billion beef exports go to the UK.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ireland-uk-trade-more-significant-than-brexit-border-question-1.3551374

5 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

You seem very bitter that the UK people have voted in a democratic referendum and have voted to leave the EU. Why?

Sadly my Irish cousins were not strong enough and caved in when they  had the opportunity to leave the EU. They believe Sinn Fein will be like UKIP eventually and get them out.

Once Ireland realises how much they will be losing and that they are being used by the EU's.

The Republic’s trade with the UK is worth about €65 billion a year and sustains over 400,000 jobs on both islands. Irish farmers and dairies sell 100,000 tonnes of cheese to the UK every year while more than half of the Republic’s €2.5 billion beef exports go to the UK.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ireland-uk-trade-more-significant-than-brexit-border-question-1.3551374

Excuse me if I don’t bite your ‘a bit bitter bait.

“Once Ireland realises how much they will be losing and that they are being used by the EU's.”

What like, the UK is a better partner for Ireland than is the EU?

Or is it all this ‘loosing’ that should concern the Irish?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dublin-is-top-destination-for-uk-firms-after-brexit-dcqzkk6h8

38 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

An english democratic decision outweighs a Northern Irish democratic  decision. Glad to see that is out there for all to read.

As for the Irish trade stuff - well I guess they’ll just have to go out and find new markets, something that the Brexiters have made such a virtue of. 

The likely scenario is that the UK, as a small open economy out on its own will likely need to keep its relative tariffs low. Irish goods and services will still find the English market accessible.

Going the other way will be a different story. The Uk will be on the outside of the EU trade barrier and will have to deal with them on the same terms the rest of the world does, which aren’t great.

They didn’t vote for this cluster-truck that the English have kindly thrust upon them. 

The current cluster trucking I think you now refer to is being thrusted by Dublin and Brussels. Mrs May and her accomplices are standing by, taking advantage in an effort to Remain, due to insurmountable thrusts.
Never mind, Jacob Rees Mogg will get involved now and show you all a sensible way around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Enjoy.

Ireland is not strictly involved in the negotiations. None of the countries of the EU are as they have selected a team to negotiate for them who report back to the commissioners and the EU parliament though each country can put forward ideas, suggestions etc. 

As for The same powerful voice the UK has been enjoying as a member of the EU" it isn't true either as no country within the EU proper can make its own deal with other countries. That is what the EU does. True they are allowed to vote on it but the Commission has the final say. That is why it took 10 years to conclude a deal with Canada.

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

And we're going round in circles - yet again.....

you are keen on circles DD?

I'll take this opportunity to repeat one of my favourite Kumbels

(famous Danish humour guy)

My intellectual circle is like

a circle with radius zero

This I call my point of view

Have a Belhaven DD, its on me

35 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Ireland is not strictly involved in the negotiations. None of the countries of the EU are as they have selected a team to negotiate for them who report back to the commissioners and the EU parliament though each country can put forward ideas, suggestions etc. 

As for The same powerful voice the UK has been enjoying as a member of the EU" it isn't true either as no country within the EU proper can make its own deal with other countries. That is what the EU does. True they are allowed to vote on it but the Commission has the final say. That is why it took 10 years to conclude a deal with Canada.

The Irish can veto the deal.

The UK, within the EU, has far more bargaining power against the US, China, India, Russia etc than it would have outside of the EU.

Not just bargaining power against nation states but also against large corporations.

Hence UK citizens enjoying the rewards of the EU busting corporate price fixing, manoplolies, product bundling etc.

43 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Its was the combination of UK voters that voted for Brexit

Geez a supranational entity asking one of its member nations to go along with a decision....how dare they! It’s enough to justify you leaving that bloc!!!

46 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Its was the combination of UK voters that voted for Brexit

Maybe some of them want sovereignty now and to take back control, rather than being forced to stay in a so-called “united” bloc of unelected bureaucrats and manipulated votes that doesn’t respect their will and is about to implode anyway. 

Geez a supranational entity asking one of its member nations to go along with a decision....how dare they! It’s enough to justify you leaving that bloc!!!

But our entity, not theirs.
We can decide our own matters, not have it done for us by the EU commissioners.
That’s the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived