Rhino beetle hole

On 2/1/2019 at 1:45 PM, Arjen said:

When it is a coconutpalm, we use the kind of colurfull clay what is more like a kind of plastic for children to play with.

In fact it does not matter much what you use, as long as you can prevent water from entering.

It is maybe wise, when this just starts to use that hole and put some of the poison in to kill these insects. When you are lucky it stays with that first one.

You can try the biological way of fighting them. We used our bad contaminated palms with the poison (and although they claim the poison is not harmfull and not detected in the coconuts, we do not use them for consumption) And we got from the local government a kind og flies who will attack the larvae I think? 

There is someone active here with a lot of knowledge about trees (Dr. Treelove I think is his name?)

When you dig in your garden, do you find a kind of very big, white caterpillars? That is a bad sign in this case....

Arjen.

Hi Arjen

Thanks for your reply.

Most of the garden is grass,  the only new caterpillars are 25mm long the ones in the photo

P1090116.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2019 at 9:51 AM, Arjen said:

Well that are the ones....

Be prepared much from your trees will be affected soon....

Please seek some professional advise.

Arjen.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1084193-pheromones-for-rhino-beetle/?tab=comments#comment-13842805

Here's some more info from farming forum. and there are other past discussions on this and farming forums. 

Photo shown here is not rhino beetle larvae.

Arjen is right that  you could use a fresh made hole to stem inject a systemic insecticide. 

I don't agree that it is necessary to fill a hole, or to prevent water in the hole, only for cosmetic reasons. 

I would not create a big hole to dig out suspected CRB or red palm weevil. Use less invasive technique of management. 

Learn to overcome ignorant negativity about safe and effective pesticide use, and choose non toxic or least toxic biorational methods and materials. Or learn to live without palms.  

On 2/14/2019 at 12:29 PM, drtreelove said:

Arjen is right that  you could use a fresh made hole to stem inject a systemic insecticide. 

Further afterthought: you would need to apply injection material immediately after making the hole while the conductive vessels were still viable for absorption. If you waited until the tissues dried out the material would not be taken up effectively. 

My choice as least invasive, over gouging a huge hole in the trunk to chase an adult beetle or weevil larvae, would be to shoot a spot spray of Chaindrite Crack and Crevice deep in the hole with the long, thin nozzle that comes with the aerosol can. The cypermethrin and bifenthrin active ingredients are low toxicity and with this method there would be almost no environmental or applicator personal exposure. 

Archived