Trump re-election campaign began 2019 with $19 million in cash

webfact

Trump re-election campaign began 2019 with $19 million in cash

By Ginger Gibson and Grant Smith

2019-01-31T233521Z_1_LYNXNPEF0U2EC_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks speaks to reporters at a meeting with manufacturers and manufacturing workers in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, U.S., January 31, 2019. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

WASHINGTON/NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump began the year with $19.2 million in campaign cash, a war chest that gives him a head start on Democrats lining up for the chance to run against the Republican in the 2020 White House race.

Trump raised $21 million in the fourth quarter of 2018, his campaign said on Thursday, including some cash he raised for the national party. Unlike any other president in the modern era, Trump filed for re-election on the day he took office in January 2017, instead of waiting the traditional two years. That allowed him to raise and spend campaign cash his entire term.

The bulk of Trump's spending was focused on congressional elections last November, including sending $3 million to the Republican National Committee and paying for a television ad that drew criticism at the time for its depiction of immigrants.

He is likely to far outpace the fundraising by Democrats who are just beginning to build campaigns. None of the Democratic candidates have yet been required to disclose their money hauls, although U.S. Senator Kamala Harris' campaign said she raised $1.5 million in the 24 hours after she launched her run.

Harris' Senate campaign, which remains intact from her previous runs, disclosed donating more than $130,000 to the Democratic parties in early primary contest states, a move that was likely done to curry favour for her presidential bid.

More than two dozen Democrats are expected to mount a campaign in hopes of winning the party's nomination.

David Brock, a Democratic fundraiser who oversaw the largest Super PAC his party has backed, said Trump's haul will make Democrats nervous.

"There is not going to be enough money in the system, whether its online or big dollars, to support more than six or eight candidates," Brock told Reuters. "There is a disadvantage that Democrats have to raise money to fight each other first before you can raise a war chest to fight Trump."

Some of the Democrats' biggest donors are waiting to decide which candidate to back, Brock said.

"There is a lot less interest among donors on the ideological split as there is imagining the person who is best to stand up against Trump and really take the fight to him and just beat him," Brock said.

Greg Berlin, a Democratic fundraiser at the firm Mothership Strategy, said he is confident Democrats will ultimately be able to compete with Trump's cash levels.

"Whoever is the nominee will have well over a billion dollars combined with their primary and general money to compete with Trump," Berlin said. "Trump will likely have well over a billion dollars, so I don't think money matters at the end of the day."

Trump spent $23 million in the fourth quarter, finishing the quarter with less cash than he began with.

The bulk of his spending was in advertising, with $4.4 million in television advertising and $3.5 million in online advertising and related expenses.

His campaign spent more than $830,000 on legal expenses.

He spent $2.4 million on campaign items such as his signature red hat, banners, buttons and T-shirts.

His campaign also disclosed owing the U.S Treasury an additional $1 million for travel expenses. U.S. law requires that presidents reimburse taxpayers for expenses incurred travelling on Air Force One.

(Reporting by Ginger Gibson; Editing by Cynthia Osterman and Grant McCool)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-02-01

1 hour ago, PJPom said:

Does anyone else think that it is rather frightening that a country can seemingly be bought, the sums quoted are staggering and all from entities with an agenda.

It's bizarre. The Trump supporters who claim to want to drain the swamp, support the conservative justices who ruled that spending money is the same as free speech and that billionaires can give unlimited amounts to advance their agendas.

1 hour ago, PJPom said:

Does anyone else think that it is rather frightening that a country can seemingly be bought, the sums quoted are staggering and all from entities with an agenda.

Are you new to this politics stuff?

Ever see who say..George Bush or Obama top ten campaign contributors were?

It is public record...go look

Voting & having a left & right side is only there to pacify the ignorant

It is only to give them something to root for/cheer on

Then to give the losing side something to complain about for the next 4-8 years always saying it would have been different had their side won.

It is sad that grown-ups still believe in this fairy tale

Left wing/Right wing, same corrupt bird

24 minutes ago, mania said:

Are you new to this politics stuff?

Ever see who say..George Bush or Obama top ten campaign contributors were?

It is public record...go look

Voting & having a left & right side is only there to pacify the ignorant

It is only to give them something to root for/cheer on

Then to give the losing side something to complain about for the next 4-8 years always saying it would have been different had their side won.

It is sad that grown-ups still believe in this fairy tale

Left wing/Right wing, same corrupt bird

Another poster claiming cynicism as a mask for what is really ignorance.

Didn't the dems have way more money last time and still lose? Social media has really changed that dynamic twitter is free. Also the media can't stay away from Trump and his rallies so he really doesn't need that big of a budget. 

Any dem that is going to cry foul should realize they are the party of the big money billionaire donors. I can just picture Tom Steyer counting his billions will drooling and rambling about Trump. 

So just don't forget the DFL machine doesn't run on self righteousness alone, they require massive amounts of money.

14 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Didn't the dems have way more money last time and still lose? Social media has really changed that dynamic twitter is free. Also the media can't stay away from Trump and his rallies so he really doesn't need that big of a budget. 

Any dem that is going to cry foul should realize they are the party of the big money billionaire donors. I can just picture Tom Steyer counting his billions will drooling and rambling about Trump. 

So just don't forget the DFL machine doesn't run on self righteousness alone, they require massive amounts of money.

Fact challenged much?

Does the name Robert Mercer mean anything to you? How about Sheldon Adelson?

Here's an article that lists 14 billionaire supporters of Trump:

http://fortune.com/2016/08/03/trump-billionaire-backers-list/

Either you're genuinely ignorant or genuinely dishonest. Which is it?

In the great democracy of US, with freedom and truth and justice being the ambitions to aim for-

Where does the chance of your ordinary man with no millions of money ever get the chance to be elected.

US is an ugly form of democracy. The fact that no one else other than a multi millionaire can nominate is pathetic.

You have your rules, you have your president and most of the world is thinking about giving you the flick 

2 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Fact challenged much?

Does the name Robert Mercer mean anything to you? How about Sheldon Adelson?

Here's an article that lists 14 billionaire supporters of Trump:

http://fortune.com/2016/08/03/trump-billionaire-backers-list/

Either you're genuinely ignorant or genuinely dishonest. Which is it?

What a disingenuous deflection. I can rattle off a million out of touch rich people supporting the dems. My point was more about who spends more money. To become the dem nominee and run in that party is way more expensive. Trump did it on almost a shoe string. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/graphics/2016-presidential-campaign-fundraising/

" Trump also put to use his own cash, as well as the assets and infrastructure of his businesses, in unprecedented fashion. He donated $66 million of his own money, flew across the country in his private jet, and used his resorts to stage campaign events. At the same time, the billionaire was able to draw about $280 million from small donors giving $200 or less. Super-PACs, which can take contributions unlimited in size, were similarly skewed toward his opponent, Hillary Clinton. "

I won't dignify your last remark. 

10 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Thank you for your thoughtful contribution to this thread.

Haha...perhaps the truthfulness of it cuts to the bone. 

Apart from the very correct opening post which identified one of the many huge flaws with the US system of governance it has been the “thoughtful” contributors with their jokes that have got closer to the core issue as the first poster did, than most of the contributors. And that showed in your first post which while very thoughtful and well presented, erred into where the real problems get lost...them v us or in this case Republicans v Democrats. 

I also get divided easily in this whole US politics entertainment show. On one hand it’s the thoughtful question of why is the US as it slides down the toilet in the true measures of being great at the minimum starting point not able to address the obvious flaws in its political system, to on the hand as much as I think Trump is the biggest knuckle dragging lowlife ever elected to lead any western country, the sheer entertainment value of him in constant meltdown for another four years under what would likely be in addition to the Democrats house, a Democrats Senate just has one salivating with anticipation.

40 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Just wait until the freak show that will be the dem primaries start. Booker just said he is running (no big surprise) this is going to be funny when it gets into full swing.

Booker makes a great opening case. Feel pride. Not shame. The current criminally corrupt con man U.S. president is a massive embarrassment. No amount of campaign treasure can wipe that stain away.

2 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Just wait until the freak show that will be the dem primaries start. Booker just said he is running (no big surprise) this is going to be funny when it gets into full swing.

I disagree with just about everything you post. This is the absolute exception. Calling it a freak show is being kind.

7 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

What a disingenuous deflection. I can rattle off a million out of touch rich people supporting the dems. My point was more about who spends more money. To become the dem nominee and run in that party is way more expensive. Trump did it on almost a shoe string. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/graphics/2016-presidential-campaign-fundraising/

" Trump also put to use his own cash, as well as the assets and infrastructure of his businesses, in unprecedented fashion. He donated $66 million of his own money, flew across the country in his private jet, and used his resorts to stage campaign events. At the same time, the billionaire was able to draw about $280 million from small donors giving $200 or less. Super-PACs, which can take contributions unlimited in size, were similarly skewed toward his opponent, Hillary Clinton. "

I won't dignify your last remark. 

The fact of the matter is that you told a falsehood about the Democrats being the party of billionaires. If you said such a thing to make a point, I guess that means you lied. And of course,

you conveniently ignore the 2018 midterms where Democrats massively outpaced Republicans in small donations. Trump proved to be a very formidable fundraiser....for the Democrats.

And clearly, Trump's shtick is wearing very thin. The same rhetoric that got him elected is now badly hurting him.  The novelty is gone. The latest Fox News Poll shows a majority of voters are saying Anyone But Trump.

5 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Always odd to hear a Trump supporter call Democrats "freaks". Cognitive dissonance much?

8 hours ago, Roadman said:

Haha...perhaps the truthfulness of it cuts to the bone. 

Apart from the very correct opening post which identified one of the many huge flaws with the US system of governance it has been the “thoughtful” contributors with their jokes that have got closer to the core issue as the first poster did, than most of the contributors. And that showed in your first post which while very thoughtful and well presented, erred into where the real problems get lost...them v us or in this case Republicans v Democrats. 

I also get divided easily in this whole US politics entertainment show. On one hand it’s the thoughtful question of why is the US as it slides down the toilet in the true measures of being great at the minimum starting point not able to address the obvious flaws in its political system, to on the hand as much as I think Trump is the biggest knuckle dragging lowlife ever elected to lead any western country, the sheer entertainment value of him in constant meltdown for another four years under what would likely be in addition to the Democrats house, a Democrats Senate just has one salivating with anticipation.

The flaw in the political system is the money. The people with the money don't think it's a flaw. What the rest of the people think doesn't matter because they don't have the money in sufficient quantities.

8 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

I am Spartacus!

In your dreams. 

I realize that's a funny putdown line of Booker but as I've said before all politicians have political problems and the successful ones have the skills to overcome them.

Thus I do give "trump" credit for having an amazing array of political problems but he has had (so far) the skills of propagandist and con man to get this far. But that doesn't mean his "magic" will last forever. 

To add, Booker isn't my personal first choice but I like him and would be happy to see him as president. I can't think of any democrat running that wouldn't be better than "trump."

22 minutes ago, Longcut said:

Trump will still get more media coverage than the rest combined without spending a dime. Thanks to the Liberal Media. They just can't stop talking about him and he's loving it.

The thing is the majority of the electorate no longer likes what they're seeing in his performances.

Archived