Hanging wires: Former soldier in lucky escape on way to see his girlfriend

webfact

Hanging wires: Former soldier in lucky escape on way to see his girlfriend

7pm.jpg

A former conscript told Thai Rath that he had a lucky escape after coming off his motorcycle in the early morning when his neck got entangled in hanging cable wires. 

Sayan Suphaphon, 23, from Chonburi showed strangulation marks that had almost gone round the entire circumference of his neck.

He said he was going to see his girlfriend between 5 and 6 am on Wednesday. He passed the Bang Bung market area and got to the Kuan-U shrine when he came off. 

He said it was very lucky that he was not going fast and there was no traffic about that might have run him over. 

He couldn't say whether the wires had come loose of their own accord or were being cleared up by officials. There was no warning sign to suggest there was work in progress. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-01

I remember seeing something very similar over twenty-five years ago on Soi Ruam Rudee, just off Rama 4 in Bangkok.

A motorbike taxi with a passenger stupidly drove over a mass of telephone wires that had come loose.

Some of the wires got entangled around the motorbike's back wheel, and when became taught stopped the motorbike dead. The two people on the bike both shot over the top of the bike and slid along the road. Fortunately no serious injuries.

Recently a woman died in La Nadi Road, Khon Kaen from hitting low hanging wires. These telecommunications companies need to be held responsible for any injuries or deaths that are from their wires that are below 5 metres from the ground. 

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I remember seeing something very similar over twenty-five years ago on Soi Ruam Rudee, just off Rama 4 in Bangkok.

A motorbike taxi with a passenger stupidly drove over a mass of telephone wires that had come loose.

Some of the wires got entangled around the motorbike's back wheel, and when became taught stopped the motorbike dead. The two people on the bike both shot over the top of the bike and slid along the road. Fortunately no serious injuries.

25 years ago... really?

Snore !!

13 minutes ago, hotchilli said:
6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

25 years ago... really?

Snore !! 

Oh I remember, it was only last week. Feel better now?

Pity about your attitude.

I added hanging wires to my list of daily death threats and (hopefully) near misses that constitute using the roads here. 

About 10 months ago I was on the far left shoulder lane doing about 40kph. A low hanging wire was wind blown in front of me only seconds before I encountered it. It missed snagging my neck by fractions of a second.

No question that I would have been pulled off the bike, possibly breaking my neck. I nearly wet myself when I realized how close I came to probable death. Yes, I had a good (Bell) helmet firmly strapped under my neck, ensuring a broken neck. 

The next day I went back and hung a bag weighted with stones onto the wire, preventing it from blowing and killing someone else. In retrospect I should have taken my wire cutters and just cut it as it looked like a telecon, not power, cable. The very next day I saw news that a woman died this way in Phuket I think after the truck in front of her bike pulled a mass of wires off a pole. So my near urinary incontinence was justified. 

Along several miles of that main road, AH2, there were numerous such hazards only slightly less egregious. I noticed crews a few weeks ago working that area and tying up the cables. So somebody knew they were hazardous.

I've recently seen similar efforts on several roads around Chaam. Better late than never I guess. 

Now I'm on alert for this type of hazard. 

On 2/1/2019 at 10:32 AM, webfact said:

He couldn't say whether the wires had come loose of their own accord or were being cleared up by officials. There was no warning sign to suggest there was work in progress. 

"My name is Sayan Suphaphon and I am here till Thursday."

On 2/1/2019 at 4:04 PM, Russell17au said:

Recently a woman died in La Nadi Road, Khon Kaen from hitting low hanging wires. These telecommunications companies need to be held responsible for any injuries or deaths that are from their wires that are below 5 metres from the ground. 

If they do get fined they will only have to pay something like 10 000 bht... peanuts. But the Thais seem to think such a handout is great. Just look at their pitiful lottery... 100bht for a ticket and the grand prize is something like 2 000 000 bht. Not even 60 000 dollars US. Quite a joke the numbers in this country.

On 2/1/2019 at 4:04 PM, Russell17au said:

Next to the temple about 3 - 4 years ago?

Archived