Video: Many injuries as staff bus collides with tow truck doing a U-turn

webfact

Video: Many injuries as staff bus collides with tow truck doing a U-turn

8pm_VI.jpg

Dash cam footage from a staff bus show the moment that it collided with a truck doing a dangerous U-turn.

Just after overtaking another truck and going round a bend the bus brakes and the horn sounds but it is too late to avert a collision. 

The bus was taking staff home from Amata City on Wednesday evening.

The accident happened at a hill called Krathing Daeng in Bowin district of Sri Racha. 

It was posted on the Facebook page of Phiaw Yiang Thai Sri Racha (Bowin) foundation who said there were many injuries. 

Thai Rath said that the date on the footage did not match when the accident actually occurred. 

No other details were reported. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-01

Typical Thai bad maneuver?.......yes.

Typical Thai failure to perceive, anticipate and react accordingly?.........yes.

And don't forget the usual bit of "good luck" junk swinging around, blocking the drivers nearside line of sight.

Put them together and Thailand gets to be where it is on the death chart.

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

Typical Thai bad maneuver?.......yes.

Typical Thai failure to perceive, anticipate and react accordingly?.........yes.

And don't forget the usual bit of "good luck" junk swinging around, blocking the drivers nearside line of sight.

Put them together and Thailand gets to be where it is on the death chart.

In most motor accidents that involve two or more vehicles it is likely that blame can be proportioned between all parties.

2 hours ago, mercman24 said:

brilliant post, how about mentioning the lorry doing a U turn,

It wouldn't have been a problem if the bus had been driving at the speed limit.

The lorry driver probably didn't foresee the bus being driven at twice the speed it should have been.

I've spent 50hrs on Thai busses in the last two weeks, seat belts broken and unusable in three of the four busses I was on, drivers driving too fast then stopping for too long. I just closed my eyes and hoped for the best, I was lucky, many aren't.

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

Not a lot you can say; except....just another day on Thai roads !

I had something to say! I watched the final moment 3 times and heard myself

say out loud "you a**hole".

But only my computer and my dog heard me.

Enough said.

It wouldn't have been a problem if the bus had been driving at the speed limit.

The lorry driver probably didn't foresee the bus being driven at twice the speed it should have been.

I've spent 50hrs on Thai busses in the last two weeks, seat belts broken and unusable in three of the four busses I was on, drivers driving too fast then stopping for too long. I just closed my eyes and hoped for the best, I was lucky, many aren't.

What speed was he driving at? What's the speed limit on that section of highway?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1) Complete idiot driving the tow truck.

2) How can he pull out on a major highway with two big vehicles in the mirror.

Starting to pull out about 60 m (?) ahead of the bus.

Porsche 911 could have stopped but not a big bus.

3) That any turn at this point is forbidden is just an "add-on".

Who cares about color on the road.

He wouldn't even be able to do the turn in one swing.

Road to narrow for that.

See 1)!

Its not a tow truck,its a truck with a small  crane,

used for lifting pallets of bricks off,whatever,the

driver must have looked at oncoming traffic,and

not what was coming up behind him,and just

pulled out in front of the bus,if you cannot see

a bus coming,you should not be on the roads..

regards worgeordie

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Bus going too fast (as usual).

I don't think the bus was going too fast. if you take these road markings and the container lorry as reference he was most likely not faster than 83 km/h.
this accident is solely the fault of the Hiup driver. perhaps, he forgot that he was not riding his Honda Wave. or most probable just plain mai pen rai.

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I guess, and yes I'm just guessing that you used to be in traffic accident investigation.???? Did you not see the car and the van in front obviously going faster than the bus. Can you not see that the bus is overtaking a truck. Oh! Wait there's more. It's a down hill gradient and you can also see that the truck has it's hazard lights on and is not indicating. Apart from this it's a very stupid place to do a u-turn because there might be a bus coming around the corner. Still, I'm sure your right.????

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Just after overtaking another truck and going round a bend the bus brakes and the horn sounds but it is too late to avert a collision.

Lol..... seems a lot more like sounding the horn, expecting that the noise will somehow ensure collision avoidance, vs applying the brakes, which is a common occurrence here

personally, in a case like that, if I was driving, I’d be doing just about anything other than sounding the damn horn.... maybe emergency braking with both hands in a death grip on the steering wheel.... but not the horn, as that is absolutely pointless, as evidenced.

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Are you blind?

The bus was completely within his rights to be doing what he was doing, overtaking in a dual lane stretch of road, the truck driver doing a U-turn on this road needs to be locked up!

I was in a restaurant near the station at Surat Thani. I noticed the driver having a couple of cold beers while they loaded the bus. Glad I was going on the train. Also buses are seriously underpowered it takes them forever to get up to speed causing the drivers to do anything to not loose speed. You will see this on the smallest of hills they slow right down and start grabbing gears immediately. So you have a fool pulling out in front of another fool ,bad situation.

Archived