CAT cuts fees 75% to keep wire-burying project on schedule

Rimmer

CAT cuts fees 75% to keep wire-burying project on schedule

image.png

PATTAYA:--Three months after Pattaya businesses balked at proposed fees to move telephone, cable-television and internet wires underground, CAT Telecom has come back to the table with a 75-percent price cut to keep the citywide project on schedule.

City Councilman Adm. Srivisut Rodarun chaired a Jan. 22 meeting of the Public Works and Utilities Committee attended by representatives of the Provincial Electricity Authority, CAT Telecom, various phone and internet providers, and the Telecommunications Association of Thailand.

CAT has been tasked by the PEA with handling the relocation of communication cables underground nationwide as well as setting rental rates for the water-protected pipes in which they go. But in October, the utility announced a charge of 120 baht a month for homes connected to underground wires and 6,000 baht a month for businesses, which has businesses up in arms.

Business owners – particularly cable-TV operators – called the fees excessive and refused to put their wires underground. The issue threatened to derail the PEA’s entire plan.

It took three months, but CAT came back to the table with a monthly fee of 1,500 baht, instead of the 6,000 baht. The 120 baht fee remained unchanged.

The meeting acknowledged the price reductions and said it will forward the proposal to the full city council for consideration.

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-02-01--

I think those fees cover all wires (telephone, cable-television and internet/fibre) coming into any house or business.

The providers of the services should save money on maintenance/installation costs compared with overhead wiring, so the end result for the house owner should be minimal.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

I think those fees cover all wires (telephone, cable-television and internet/fibre) coming into any house or business.

The providers of the services should save money on maintenance/installation costs compared with overhead wiring, so the end result for the house owner should be minimal.

It costs a lot more to install underground than overhead on poles. Maintenance is more expensive too.

Will there be separate ducting for each of the service providers? Placing them all together in one 'pipe' potentially creates a bigger risk.

I notice they are described as "water-protected pipes", but will they be of a decent quality and lifespan?

Why is there a recurring monthly charge, rather than a one-off cost?

49 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

It costs a lot more to install underground than overhead on poles. Maintenance is more expensive too.

Will there be separate ducting for each of the service providers? Placing them all together in one 'pipe' potentially creates a bigger risk.

I notice they are described as "water-protected pipes", but will they be of a decent quality and lifespan?

Why is there a recurring monthly charge, rather than a one-off cost?

I would be shocked, awed, amazed, and overwhelmed, if this was being done correctly

4 minutes ago, Redline said:

I would be shocked, awed, amazed, and overwhelmed, if this was being done correctly

You and me both.

The post I made above is based on experience working for British Telecom.

Here no one seems to have any real experience of underground ducting and cabling, let alone any safety consideration understanding about any of the issues that need to be addressed.

On a separate issue, how can any company drop a price from 6,000 Baht to 1,500 Baht and be considered as professional?

From the article above, it doesn't explain a 75% cost reduction.

I'm guessing now: is it based perhaps on now using the cheapest subcontractor and cheapest materials available?

Archived