Changes at CM Immigration?

factseeker

Hi

Renewed Retirement Visa for myself and wife this week - Immigration - polite - efficient - comfortable surroundings.

But a couple of things different this year - has anyone else experienced same?

My documentation all correct - have done it all myself for number of years.

Bank Letters confirming funds dated at start of this week completely in sync with Bank Pass Book entries for same day - all matched up.

Immigration accepted the Bank Letters as being within the 7 day time limit of our visit for new Visas but insisted that the Bank Books showed the balance as on the actual day of our visit to Immigration.

I pointed out that the Bank Letter we had from start of week would not then Sync with the Bank Pass Books - as for a transaction entry to appear in the Bank Pass Book we move 100 Baht from one Account to the other.

They said it would be OK 'this time'.

So we had to cross Chiang Mai to the Bank and cause a transaction so that our Bank Pass Books held one for the current day and then back to Immigration where all was then accepted/processed.

Problem is that to comply with that ruling next year it means going to the Bank on the morning of the day you go to Immigration for a new Visa.

With Banks opening at 8:30am by time the Bank Letter is drafted and the Bank Pass Books updated it means not getting to Immigration before circa 9:30am to 10am.

Seems something wrong to me?

Other point - for first time ever we had Forms whisked in front of us that we had to sign acknowledging that if we 'Overstayed' we would not be allowed to re-enter 'The Kingdom' for a period 5 or 10 years depending upon the extent of the period of 'Overstay' .

Is this a new policy? We never had this before - have always followed the rules so figure it was not just for us.

Be interested to hear from others.

Best Rgds.

43 minutes ago, factseeker said:

Other point - for first time ever we had Forms whisked in front of us that we had to sign acknowledging that if we 'Overstayed' we would not be allowed to re-enter 'The Kingdom' for a period 5 or 10 years depending upon the extent of the period of 'Overstay' .

Is this a new policy? We never had this before - have always followed the rules so figure it was not just for us.

About this point:

not specific to CM. Had similar forms since ? years in Khon Kaen.

Also some reports from other members about this.

It's not a "personal" thing specific to you.

Just a general reminder.

No need to worry about.

There's usually a "surprise" awaiting and depending on the whim of the officer you find yourself with.

2 renewals ago, for me, was I hadnt supplied a photocopy of every page in my passport.My passport is reaching the end of its life so countless pages.

"what is the point ?" new law was the reply.That was my 12th renewal

This last December was queried why the amount in my passbook, updated the day before was  not MORE than 800,000 baht showing.     My reply naturally was "800,000b Is your law" Reply "Oh you should have at least 820,000 baht which I course ignored officcer "I will let it go this time".

I just roll over the 800,000 b and take out the interest. Don't be concerned about the new overstay form now standard and the foreigner form stating your social media habits and everything else has bitten the dust

This year the Priority Lane (75 and over) had been dished .Just try to look old and frail preferably in a wheelchair or with a cane and you may receive VIP treatment.

15 minutes ago, gamini said:

You have always had to update your bank book on the day that you apply. Nothing new

Well not for my last 4 times.

I do the banking business the day before and no one has ever questioned it.

(maybe because they knew that getting to the bank and getting a queue ticket before 9am was actually impossible)

42 minutes ago, gamini said:

You have always had to update your bank book on the day that you apply. Nothing new

That may be true (I don't know) for those using regular savings accounts to store their funds but it's not true for those who hold the 800k in term accounts.  My account is at Siam Commercial Bank and the bank book shows the amount and the date the term started (normally 5-7 months before I obtain an annual extension based on retirement) and that has been accepted for years without question.  I've even tried to "update" that passbook over the years and found out that you simply can't at SCB.  

2 hours ago, gamini said:

1 hour ago, roo860 said:

No you havent. Always updated mine day before.

Yep, Updated mine yesterday, applied (and approved) today.

11 hours ago, gamini said:

No not true. In renewing my extension of stay for the past 6 years I've never had or been asked to have the passbook updated on the day of applying. 

10 minutes ago, noise said:

Factseeker -- you can use the ATM like machine outside any one of your bank's branches to update your bank book 24 hrs/day.

Good suggestion. Just hope the printer in the ATM doesn't mess up. Happened to me a few times over the years; continuosly printing many transactions over the same line on the page, totally illegible... Never again !

1 hour ago, noise said:

Factseeker -- you can use the ATM like machine outside any one of your bank's branches to update your bank book 24 hrs/day.

Yes you can update outside some Banks, BUT you still

need the Bank letter,so no advantage,and the bank has to photo

copy all pages of bankbook,and put their chop on them.

regards Worgeordie

gamini: "You have always had to update your bank book on the day that you apply. Nothing new"

Well, jeffandgop, maybe they just don't like the looks of you. I have never been asked to to this in 13 years. 

I should mention that I just keep the 800K in a fixed term account which just rolls over (after I take out the interest to keep it at exactly 800K). 

It could be that they think you might be a person trying to pull a fast one, whatever that might be in their eyes....

10 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Trujillo- Methinks you've mis-directed your comment. I've never have had to update my passbook on the day of application for an extension...as I wrote originally...

Well, jeffandgop, maybe they just don't like the looks of you. I have never been asked to to this in 13 years. 

I should mention that I just keep the 800K in a fixed term account which just rolls over (after I take out the interest to keep it at exactly 800K). 

It could be that they think you might be a person trying to pull a fast one, whatever that might be in their eyes....

I've never done that, is this a new rule?

My bank SCB give me a letter for balance, also a 3 month print out of balance etc, I still copy my passbook as well as that's what they want to see, this was last week and my previous extensions.

And the IO checked the pass book.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Just now, worgeordie said:

No not a new rule,it's always been that way.

regards worgeordie 

Well, I've always made the copies of the bank/pass book myself, and signed them. Never heard that the bank should put their stamp on these copies

On 2/2/2019 at 6:22 AM, noise said:

Hi,

Thnxs everyone for all the replies.

Only problem using ATM would be that In order to get an up to date transaction in my Foreign Currency Account I have to go to my Bank Branch to get that done - convert £10 across to Thai Baht - does the trick for both Pass Books - but has to be my Bank Branch unfortunately.

Never mind - ref other Forms signed - must be getting paranoid in my old age or met up with an official who likes to be 'correct'.

In any event thnxs to all - clears up my mind on this - one of these days I will sail through without a single hitch - sort of like getting 100% in a Maths test - I never quite did.

Archived