Bluetooth magic keyboard disconnecting

FredLee

Finally updated to Mojave on my IMac a few weeks ago, figuring I had given it enough time for all the bugs to be worked out. Since the upgrade my bluetooth magic keyboard sometimes disconnects when the computer has been in sleep mode for an extended time, and will not reconnect. The first few times I would just turn bluetooth off and then back on to reconnect. That no longer works, now it only reconnects if I restart the computer. Appreciate any advice on how to fix this problem.

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Get a Windows PC with USB wired peripherals.    LOL????

Your right WG. I already have a laptop pc running Windows 10 and Linux. I gave up Windows a long time ago because of the constant head aches from botched upgrades and slowness. But now OSX has the same problems at only twice the price. Still haven't figured out this blue tooth crap. Now the restart doesn't restore the keyboard, had to plug in the keyboard to connect even though it was already 69% charged.

24 minutes ago, FredLee said:

Your right WG. I already have a laptop pc running Windows 10 and Linux. I gave up Windows a long time ago because of the constant head aches from botched upgrades and slowness. But now OSX has the same problems at only twice the price. Still haven't figured out this blue tooth crap. Now the restart doesn't restore the keyboard, had to plug in the keyboard to connect even though it was already 69% charged.

That's a Mac for you! Can you not roll back whatever update you did?

I have got 2 PCs running W10, have let all the updates go automatically and no problems whatsoever. Strange.

2 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

That's a Mac for you! Can you not roll back whatever update you did?

I have got 2 PCs running W10, have let all the updates go automatically and no problems whatsoever. Strange.

Yeah, I already researched how to roll it back but again it is a bigger headache than it is worth. Plus the fact updates are going to keep coming so it will end up being either updated or obsolete. I have the old key board from my previous Mac that connects by usb, so I will probably use that instead. Don't use the bluetooth for anything other than my keyboard so no great loss.

10 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I assumed you tried "forgetting" the keyboard and reinstalling as well as new batteries...

My keyboard is a newer model, and doesn't have the battery tube for replaceable batteries. I would have to disassemble the key board (requiring an iopener device) and order a replacement battery from Apple. The battery is rechargeable and holds the charge with no problem, so I don't really suspect that is the problem. Thanks for the tip on "forgetting". I found a website that recommended turning the keyboard off and then on; connect the the usb end of the lightning to usb recharging cable to the computer and then connect the lightning end to the keyboard. After a short wait, disconnect the recharging cable and the keyboard should connect. That worked for me, so hopefully it will stay connected after the next extended sleep mode. Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...

Do you still need help with this?
Your preferences or plist could be corrupted
Open System Preferences, go to Bluetooth, and delete the device profile from the preferences list by selecting it, then clicking the little “-” icon in the bottom.

Restart

Now re-add by clicking the “+” icon, go through the setup process, and re-sync the device.

Thanks for the reply. It is working now, and I am not sure what fixed it. I found a webpage that listed five or six different steps to try to resolve it. I can't recall the website now, but I just started at their first suggestion and worked my way through it. They included re-installing bluetooth, resetting the pram, rebooting in safe mode, and others I don't recall. I am not sure which one fixed it, since the only time I would lose connectivity is when it had been in sleep mode for an extended period. After I did all the recommended steps it has not disconnected again.

On 2/21/2019 at 7:24 AM, FredLee said:

Thanks for the reply. It is working now, and I am not sure what fixed it. I found a webpage that listed five or six different steps to try to resolve it. I can't recall the website now, but I just started at their first suggestion and worked my way through it. They included re-installing bluetooth, resetting the pram, rebooting in safe mode, and others I don't recall. I am not sure which one fixed it, since the only time I would lose connectivity is when it had been in sleep mode for an extended period. After I did all the recommended steps it has not disconnected again.

Did they list waving a dead chicken over the keyboard as well ???? some of the listed fixes are rather reminiscent of that.

Archived