Which countries give permanent residence to foreigners?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Off the top of head (confirm yourself of course) these ones --

Panama

Colombia (after 5 years retirement status)

Peru

Mexico

Ecuador

Panama is expensive.... Colombia cheap, high crime, political instabil and infiltrated by the globalists..... Peru - high crime and infiltrated by the globalists.....Mexico, high crime - nobody knows how life will be under the leftists..but all countries allows some sort of cheap and relativ good health service including for expats over 70 years

Just go the Guatemala or Costa Rica join one of the caravans heading to the USA.  Not only do you get lifetime residency you get subsidized housing, food stamps, free healthcare, and free education.  PS it helps to mention at your asylum hearing that you will vote Democrat. 

23 hours ago, simon43 said:

What would help to calm the mind would be a country where the financial requirements to get a long-term visa are modest, a country which has a decent healthcare system, pretty women, acceptable food, acceptable cost of living etc etc.

Thailand.

Let's face it. The immigration rules aren't that bad. Hospitals are good and if you have insurance even better.

Only those that can't afford the above are the ones complaining.

In another post you mentioned corruption. Interesting that you don't mention that the new rules announced this week are to combat expats who use agents to get extensions of stay because they don't have the money to do things by the correct method. I think we call that corruption too, it works both ways.

Just now, GeKoSc said:

Panama is expensive.... Colombia cheap, high crime, political instabil and infiltrated by the globalists..... Peru - high crime and infiltrated by the globalists.....Mexico, high crime - nobody knows how life will be under the leftists..but all countries allows some sort of cheap and relativ good health service including for expats over 70 years

Not sure what code you are referring to with your phobia about globalists, so I'll ignore that noise.

I agree Panama is "too" expensive in the Panama City area.

Colombia has had historic improvements in crime rates but there are some warning signs --

Leftist bombing in Bogata

Murder rates (narco gang related) inching up in Medellin but still well under the bad times

Destabilization worries due to over a million Venezuelan refugees.

I'm looking at smaller cities that weren't even that bad during the narco era and civil war.

I see Colombia as a country to watch and see how things develop in the next few years.

Peru. I've been researching Arequipa which has a lot of pros and cons, but my impression is that it's actually not high crime. I'm American so my baseline is U.S. cities, so any place safer than most U.S. cities doesn't sound that unsafe to me.

Mexico. It's unclear how the new leftist government is going to change things but I've identified both Merida, Yucatan and the city of Queretaro as relatively safe destinations. 

There are pros and cons to all choices. Thailand overall is safer than Latin America overall. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

It's the humidity that makes the Panama City area extremely unpleasant. But there are other areas besides Boquette that would be more pleasant, some internal highlands areas that are popular with expats as well. A cheaper provincial very very hot city is David (which is I think an hour's bus ride to more pleasant Boquette). 

In terms of comfort index pay closer attention to dewpoint it is actually more important than humidity in gauging heat.

Just now, Thomas J said:

Just go the Guatemala or Costa Rica join one of the caravans heading to the USA.  Not only do you get lifetime residency you get subsidized housing, food stamps, free healthcare, and free education.  PS it helps to mention at your asylum hearing that you will vote Democrat. 

Right wing crapola. Costa Rica is not one of the refugee generating countries. Guatamala is yet the lake area there has been pretty popular with expats, but doesn't interest me as overall yeah I see that as a scary country. Also wouldn't suggest Nicaragua because of the political situation and nobody is pushing El Salvador as an expat haven!

4 hours ago, jasonsamui55 said:

Most everywhere gives permanent residency to people who put on the requisite amount of time and/or money, usually 2-7 years. HK and Singapore are nearby obvious examples but also Malaysia and Philippines and probably most others. And of course in the caribbean and Central America many also do. And most permanent residents can also vote and hold office too. Imagine thailand allowing that? LOL they can’t even figure out how to get their own people how to vote. But wouldn’t it be interesting if the governor or mayors of pattaya and Phuket and Samui were farangs? Now that would be funny, but very common in other places.

It's easy to get permanent residence in Singapore and it doesn't cost anything. However, they only give it to people who they consider contribute something to the country. Also, they  have to be people of good character and background. I think this is a sensible approach. It also has a lot of privileges. You don't have to have any work permits and you can form your own company like I did, without having to have any Singaporean shareholders. I was able to own 100% of the company. Also, I was able to buy property. 

Peru sells citizenship for $400 USD. You can get dual citizenship with Peru. Once you are a citizen you have automatic residency and don't have to worry about visas. 

There are nations that sell citizenship. Once you buy citizenship the visa issue goes away. You are a dual national and safe from changing visa policies. 

Why not consider purchasing citizenship, becoming a dual national to avoid the visa issues altogether? 

My brother is married to a Peruvian. They plan to retire to Peru and live in the house she owns there. He is the one who told me, Peru citizenship is available for $400. I looked it up and saw he was telling the truth. 

Asia is not the only option. Latin America is also an option. 

57 minutes ago, Alexandra3 said:

Peru sells citizenship for $400 USD. You can get dual citizenship with Peru. Once you are a citizen you have automatic residency and don't have to worry about visas. 

There are nations that sell citizenship. Once you buy citizenship the visa issue goes away. You are a dual national and safe from changing visa policies. 

Why not consider purchasing citizenship, becoming a dual national to avoid the visa issues altogether? 

My brother is married to a Peruvian. They plan to retire to Peru and live in the house she owns there. He is the one who told me, Peru citizenship is available for $400. I looked it up and saw he was telling the truth. 

Asia is not the only option. Latin America is also an option. 

Your brother is likely in a special category because he is married to a Peruvian.

I call TOTAL B.S. that Peruvian citizenship is generally for sale for any foreigners with 400 USD!

However, they do have a retirement visa program that will give permanent residence status with very low financial requirements (pension income specifically) compared to Thailand. But the application process is a pain and will typically take some months, but once you're in, you're in. 

No 90 day reports. No need to apply for permission to stay every year. So I think if you want to live in Peru, it would be worth the initial hurdle.

Worse that can happen is you're rejected early, and then you can move on. 

For me the only places in Peru that interest me are Lima and Arequipa.

Lima is a high crime super big city with some desirable but high cost enclaves. The weather is weird and depressing. The beaches are filthy. The food is some of the best on the planet. (Yes, I've been there.) There isn't a good mass transit system. I'm curious if there are some livable but still safe enough neighborhoods other than the famous better areas such as Miraflores. Not sure.

Arequipa another big city has less crime and being in the desert and high elevation has pleasant weather year round. But it's very high up there so health concerns for many and the sun is intense (high skin cancer risk). Quite isolated. It is also known for amazing food. Rental housing in or near the reportedly wonderful central historic district is still affordable and living there, you could walk for most things.

Many expats are attracted to the also very high up Cusco area. For various reasons, that area doesn't appeal to me. 

There is also Trujillo and a small beach town near there, also doesn't appeal to me.

So I like the Peru visa program but pretty strong negatives on the two places I'd want to live at. 

2 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Easier to just step across the border at Tijuana and join a caravan that's already arrived.  Just make sure to stop a few days at Mission Beach, San Diego to get a good tan in order to get that 'weathered' look.  :wink:

2 minutes ago, connda said:

Easier to just step across the border at Tijuana and join a caravan that's already arrived.  Just make sure to stop a few days at Mission Beach, San Diego to get a good tan in order to get that 'weathered' look.  :wink:

I doubt the O.P. of this topic started it to invite migrant bashing.

Many of us are migrants too, in a different way, and the Americans among us are largely interested in NOT living in the U.S.A. not fleeing there as refugees. 

1 hour ago, gamini said:

It's easy to get permanent residence in Singapore and it doesn't cost anything. However, they only give it to people who they consider contribute something to the country. Also, they  have to be people of good character and background. I think this is a sensible approach. It also has a lot of privileges. You don't have to have any work permits and you can form your own company like I did, without having to have any Singaporean shareholders. I was able to own 100% of the company. Also, I was able to buy property. 

Like you I am lucky to have Singapore PR status which I value. It is NOT easy to get nowadays and I know several International Company CEOs that have been refused lately. I am told by highly respectable people that it is almost impossible to get. I got mine in 2006, bet you got yours ages ago also.

1 hour ago, connda said:

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I doubt the O.P. of this topic started it to invite migrant bashing.

Many of us are migrants too, in a different way, and the Americans among us are largely interested in NOT living in the U.S.A. not fleeing there as refugees. 

Just poking fun at the situation.  No migrant bashing intended at all, as we are discussing our own potential future 'migration' to other countries.
Personally, I think the US should open the southern borders and let everyone in who wishes to entry. The EU too.  Then 'open borders' for all countries.  It's the only humane thing to do.

1 minute ago, connda said:

Just poking fun at the situation.  No migrant bashing intended at all.
Personally, I think the US should open the southern borders and let everyone in who wishes to entry. The EU too.  Then 'open borders' for all countries.  It's the only humane thing to do.

My post was more about the odious post you were replying to.

Thailand does. You have to have been legally living in Thailand for at least 5 years in a row, though, and they will ask you to come in for an interview, which will be conducted in Thai. A friend of mine got that. At the time he applied for it, he had already been working in Thailand for 10 plus years. If I remember correctly you can apply for it only once a year and they cap it at 100 they’ll give out per country. The upside is that you don’t have to do the 90 day report anymore and you won’t have to queue up at the Alien line at the airport/borders. You can use the Thai queue which according to my friend saves him a lot of time. That’s all I know. A google search will definitely give you all the details. 

2 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

Thailand does. You have to have been legally living in Thailand for at least 5 years in a row, though, and they will ask you to come in for an interview, which will be conducted in Thai. A friend of mine got that. At the time he applied for it, he had already been working in Thailand for 10 plus years. If I remember correctly you can apply for it only once a year and they cap it at 100 they’ll give out per country. The upside is that you don’t have to do the 90 day report anymore and you won’t have to queue up at the Alien line at the airport/borders. You can use the Thai queue which according to my friend saves him a lot of time. That’s all I know. A google search will definitely give you all the details. 

Well, Thailand offers no path at all to even permanent residence to those on retirement extensions, even if they've been on extensions for 30 years, they have the same temporary status as the first year applicant. 

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well, Thailand offers no path at all to even permanent residence to those on retirement extensions, even if they've been on extensions for 30 years, they have the same temporary status as the first year applicant. 

OK. Doesn’t come as a surprise. Thanks for the information! 

I have had the Philippine SRRV mentioned in an earlier post for 7 years. In that time I have NEVER been to an immigration office, no 90 day reporting, no exit permits, nada. You can qualify as young as 35, but the requirements are more expensive. Www.pra.gov.ph

3 hours ago, gamini said:

Since most expat guys in Thailand are of exemplary character there shouldn't be a problem.

7 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

If permanent residency an issue then maybe not such a good idea to have burned all one's boats in the home country in the first place before the alternative was sorted.

This makes no sense to me at all. 

People moving abroad sometimes seek residence security and sometimes they don't. Like a person working for a few years in Dubai or Singapore generally isn't interested in such long term security.

RETIRED PEOPLE that often move abroad with the intention that it is probably their last stop, generally do see permanent residence as very desirable. Imagine getting kicked out of Thailand at age 80 after living here for 20 years.

Philippines has an attractive offer, a special retirement resident visa (SRRV). Check here: https://pra.gov.ph/
The SRRV is a lifetime visa and its holders are exempt from Bureau of Immigration requirements. SRRV-holders are also eligible to work, study or invest in the Philippines.

There are several versions of the SRRV each with different requirements.

If you're retired in Thailand, best to get the "classic" version. For those 50 years of age and above with a pension of at least USD$800 per month if single and/or a pension of at least $1,000 per month if married, the time deposit amount is USD$10,000, with an additional deposit of USD$15,000 for each dependent. If no pension, deposit USD$20,000.

The deposits can be converted to investments in the Philippines, such as buying a condominium or for long- term house and lot leasing. A foreigner cannot buy or own land in the Philippines, however, they can buy a condo, provided 60% of the other unit owners are Philippine citizens.

Because Phils is the worst. Who would want to live there? Such a tragedy of a nation.

People living in HKG legally for seven years receive PR, including the right to vote and free health care.

I have read through this thread hoping to see listings of PR requirements in various countries. There are only a few, a couple of which are wrong!

And there is no serious discussion of Thai PR. One poster says it is available after three years, another says it is available after five. Here is what ThaiEmbassy.com says:

“All applications for Thai Permanent Residency is processed by the Royal Thai Immigration Commission. The annual quota for granting permanent residency in Thailand is a maximum of 100 persons per country. The application period for Thai PR usually from October to the end of December of every year.

In order to apply to become a Thai Permanent Resident, you must meet the following criteria:

You must have had a Thai non-immigrant visa for at least three years prior to the submission of your application. Holders of multiple NON-Immigrant visas can not apply. You must have 3 consecutive yearly extensions in order to qualify.

You must be a holder of a non-immigrant visa at the time of submitting your application.

You must be able to meet one of these categories to apply for PR status in Thailand:

Investment category (minimum 3 – 10 Mil. Baht investment in Thailand)

Working/ Business category

Support a family or Humanity Reasons category: In this category, you must have a relationship with a Thai citizen or an alien who already posses a residence permit as a husband or wife; father or mother; or a guardian of a Thai child under 20 years of age.

Expert / academic category

Other categories as determined by Thai Immigration

You should note that the list of required documents for the application depends on the category under which the application is made.

Once your application for Thai Permanent Residency is approved, a residence blue book is issued to you. You must then register your place of residence in Thailand at the local Amphur and obtain a house card. A week after the receipt of your residence certificate you can then apply for an alien book (red book) at the local police station, which is the equivalent of the Thai national ID card. You must re-register there every year.

The Residency Permit itself never expires, unless revoked. To be able to leave the country and return to Thailand, however, requires you to apply for a re-entry permit (endorsement).

You can file an application to become a Thai naturalized citizen after holding Permanent Resident status in Thailand for 10 consecutive years.”

1 hour ago, SuperTed said:

Because Phils is the worst. Who would want to live there? Such a tragedy of a nation.

People living in HKG legally for seven years receive PR, including the right to vote and free health care.

Enlighten us as to why PH is the worst and no simplified answers please.

2 hours ago, SuperTed said:

I have read through this thread hoping to see listings of PR requirements in various countries. There are only a few, a couple of which are wrong!

And there is no serious discussion of Thai PR. One poster says it is available after three years, another says it is available after five. Here is what ThaiEmbassy.com says:

“All applications for Thai Permanent Residency is processed by the Royal Thai Immigration Commission...

Readers would be well advised to only trust source information from original government websites. 

Any website ending in dot-com or dot-net (sometimes even dot-org) may be from a non-authorized source and slanted towards their particular commercial goal (like helping you get your citizenship for a low, flat fee after you pay some retainer to them, only to find out that the information is wrong, outdated or otherwise useless promotional fluff). 

I call B.S.

Obviously permanent residence status is legally different depending on the nation and it's not as powerful as citizenship. (Actually citizenship can sometimes also be an option for some nations offering permanent residence.)

But as a generalization it's basic common sense that revocation of permanent residence is not done casually. Where if you're in a nation on a tourist visa or a Thai retirement extension or something like that, it's game over the moment your permission to stay ends, and then if you want to stay longer you need to reapply. 
Permanent residence the application game is over. 

Archived