Which countries give permanent residence to foreigners?

16 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I would much rather be perceived as overly negative than to be seen among the smug expat Stockholm syndrome brigade, cheerleading at each and every increasingly onerous and throw the baby out with the bath water over the top new rule (often with the clarity of muddy mud), mocking and insulting any fellow expat that finds such new rules painful, irrational, or impossible.

Frogs in slowly boiling water we are. 

Not me.

I have family here so I am stuck in the pot.

But I am crystal clear who keeps turning the gas up.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:
  On 2/4/2019 at 9:29 AM, LongTimeLurker said:

Viet Nam

Prepare to get married:

https://www.justlanded.com/english/Vietnam/Vietnam-Guide/Visas-Permits/Permanent-residence

Already am

Are you married to a person with permanent residency in VN? If so you've got at least 1 foot in the door. But I'd suspect a good number of people presently in Thailand and looking for a country to land in with PR are not married to someone with VN PR.

16 hours ago, vinegarbase said:

It has been mentioned many times before but Panama is probably the best overall for permanent residency when you factor, weather, economy, healthcare, crime, and ease of immigration and personal property ownership. 

In Panama you can get your permanent residency in about 2 months for about $8k USD, I did this myself years ago. Here are the guys I used https://www.joyful-feet.com/panama-citizenship/ It was a straight forward step by step process.

You must use a Panama lawyer and these things can not be done yourself. It can't be stated enough you need to deal with a reliable and honest company which are hard to find but I can verify 100% these guys know what they are doing. Try to get in contact with Peter, he is the guy I was working with.

An ex woking aquintence did the Panama route. I know for a fact he earns USD350K/yr and suspect he has millions he has been in his senior position for many years Thailand hassled him for coming too many times a year year so he turned his back on the Kingdom. What a smart country. Now his Philipina is with him too easier to get her into Panama than the USA.

On 2/4/2019 at 11:14 AM, vinegarbase said:

In Panama you can get your permanent residency in about 2 months for about $8k USD, I did this myself years ago. Here are the guys I used https://www.joyful-feet.com/panama-citizenship/ It was a straight forward step by step process.

You must use a Panama lawyer and these things can not be done yourself. It can't be stated enough you need to deal with a reliable and honest company which are hard to find but I can verify 100% these guys know what they are doing. Try to get in contact with Peter, he is the guy I was working with.

This is a referral agency dealing in the shady area of purchased passports and offshore entities through anonymous mailing services.  Most outfits targeting 'high net-worth individuals are overcharging for the 'services' they claim to provide, in my experience.  I have helped some people arrange these things prior to their move and it is advised to NEVER use any agency which does not have names or addresses of principals publicly posted. 

While the application process is fast, the results may take a while.  I have been waiting for a certified copy of a document since November, just  one example.  There is a strong anti-corruption movement in many parts of government right now; for example, it was forbidden to give out Christmas candy for fear that it would unduly influence the clerks.  Don't think that hiring someone who claims to be 'connected' and can expedite things 'for a small fee' is a viable plan.

I think it harder if you are gay because you lose the married backstop of the Savannakhet Non-Immigrant O Visa.

That assumes that you want to marry.  Both of my Thai ex-wives have offered to legally marry me again, if it helps me to get a visa.  I politely told them that I'd rather slit my wrists and throw myself off a very tall building, rather than relive what I went through before with them ... ????

Concerning Burma:

perhaps moving close to a border crossing to Thailand might be good  then?

That doesn't help much when Thailand only allows 2 land border crossings each year (IMHO, this is another stupid rule that severely restricts those expats living in Myanmar, Laos etc who want to do short-term shopping, hospital and social trips into Thailand).

On 2/2/2019 at 11:48 AM, Jingthing said:

Yeah it has it's advantages and has a fantastic visa program with very low financial requiements. But it's generally very hot and humid and the cost of housing in Panama City and nearby beach cities is quite high. So expats are often attracted to Boquette which has pleasant weather but is isolated. I haven't been there but I have been to nearby Costa Rica. 

tell me what you know about costa rica

ed: and how does it compare to mexico

On 2/2/2019 at 7:11 PM, SuperTed said:

You must have had a Thai non-immigrant visa for at least three years prior to the submission of your application. Holders of multiple NON-Immigrant visas can not apply. You must have 3 consecutive yearly extensions in order to qualify.

What are these "extensions" exactly?  What is the process to get them?  My first non-b / work permit are coming up for their first anniversary and I want to do it the right way. My company is pushing for a new visa, but I guess that's exactly what would disqualify me.  How difficult is it to get the visa extended? Is there even a chance?

That was my read of that law firm's summary of the law. But it cannot be that easy, otherwise retirees would be going that route. It also sounds from the posts here like it is difficult with a work or business visa to renew, because immigration do not want foreigners becoming PR.

Remember I am not a Thai immigration expert. I just need to become one before I get tired of being a Thai language student.

Did I misread it or are n0n-O (ret) visa holders eligible after three years?

On 2/2/2019 at 11:01 AM, tlandtday said:

The ph is on track for better growth than thailand and you would be far better investing in property there than here.  Personally I will consider Japan as well as nearby countries.

Japan holds a lot of interest for me - anyone have experience with the ins and outs of retirement there? Is it possible from a visa perspective? 

Will look it up but always good to hear from folks who have first hand experience

Cheers

On 2/2/2019 at 7:11 PM, SuperTed said:

I have read through this thread hoping to see listings of PR requirements in various countries. There are only a few, a couple of which are wrong!

And there is no serious discussion of Thai PR. One poster says it is available after three years, another says it is available after five. Here is what ThaiEmbassy.com says:

“All applications for Thai Permanent Residency is processed by the Royal Thai Immigration Commission. The annual quota for granting permanent residency in Thailand is a maximum of 100 persons per country. The application period for Thai PR usually from October to the end of December of every year.

In order to apply to become a Thai Permanent Resident, you must meet the following criteria:

You must have had a Thai non-immigrant visa for at least three years prior to the submission of your application. Holders of multiple NON-Immigrant visas can not apply. You must have 3 consecutive yearly extensions in order to qualify.

You must be a holder of a non-immigrant visa at the time of submitting your application.

You must be able to meet one of these categories to apply for PR status in Thailand:

Investment category (minimum 3 – 10 Mil. Baht investment in Thailand)

Working/ Business category

Support a family or Humanity Reasons category: In this category, you must have a relationship with a Thai citizen or an alien who already posses a residence permit as a husband or wife; father or mother; or a guardian of a Thai child under 20 years of age.

Expert / academic category

Other categories as determined by Thai Immigration

You should note that the list of required documents for the application depends on the category under which the application is made.

Once your application for Thai Permanent Residency is approved, a residence blue book is issued to you. You must then register your place of residence in Thailand at the local Amphur and obtain a house card. A week after the receipt of your residence certificate you can then apply for an alien book (red book) at the local police station, which is the equivalent of the Thai national ID card. You must re-register there every year.

The Residency Permit itself never expires, unless revoked. To be able to leave the country and return to Thailand, however, requires you to apply for a re-entry permit (endorsement).

You can file an application to become a Thai naturalized citizen after holding Permanent Resident status in Thailand for 10 consecutive years.”

Any up to date details on the cost? Is 250,000THB in the ballpark?

Cheers

On 2/2/2019 at 11:52 PM, Jingthing said:

I'm only interested in nations that offer residency security to retired expats with programs that I can afford. That leaves out all of SE Asia except the Philippines that I have been to and don't think it's for me. 

This is a good example of what I mean by being able to narrow things down based on your own defined criteria added with research. I have very specific criteria that have different priority levels. For example I prefer a place that is very walkable but I can be flexible if there's affordable mass transit and taxis. There is no "perfect" place that has it all with no downsides, except perhaps if you're massively wealthy. 

Good day

Has anyone considered/investigated Portugal? I understand Lisbon cost of living to be similar to Bkk. Not sure about requirements for getting a visa.

Cheers

On 2/4/2019 at 11:28 PM, KittenKong said:

Portugal? Good food, good wine, good climate, good scenery, clean empty beaches, refined and civilised people, proper supermarkets selling things I want to buy at sensible prices, decent health care, decent public transport in built-up areas and decent trains between those areas. No idea about taxis.

I walked a lot in Portugal as the climate really encouraged me to do so. Here it's too hot and sticky.

If ever this Brexit nonsense gets settled I would consider moving to Portugal for the rest of my days.

KKong

Have you any information of the requirements to retire in Portugal?

I became fed up with Thailand and got permanent residence, and later citizenship, in Australia. Unless you are seriously minted, you need to have a skill that they want, and it gets harder as you get older.

Worth considering for those who qualify - Australia is a beautiful and grand country, with a great lifestyle and clean air. I now spend periods of time in both Australia and Thailand. 

On 2/2/2019 at 9:05 AM, Boon Mee said:

The food is indeed crap and the country more dangerous by far than LOS. 

All things considered, Thailand is the best option for retirement in SE Asia. 

Not everybody's experience, I am quite happy in the Phils

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of European countries to be honest. I heard that Montenegro, Malta, Greece and Cyprus have such programs especially it applies if you buy real estate there or invest in certain projects. For example you can read all the information about residency in Greece here.

On 2/5/2019 at 12:24 PM, jmd8800 said:

Are you married to a person with permanent residency in VN? If so you've got at least 1 foot in the door. But I'd suspect a good number of people presently in Thailand and looking for a country to land in with PR are not married to someone with VN PR.

More like 1 foot in the grave.

Archived