Army Spends 2.2 Billion Baht For More Chinese APCs, Ammo

webfact

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

SnowleopardNorinco-696x409.jpg

A screencap of a promotional footage of VN-1 armored personnel vehicles. Image: Norinco

BANGKOK — The Royal Thai Army’s buying spree shows no signs of letting up with the disclosure Friday it has committed to spending another 2.2 billion baht on more military hardware from China.

According to it purchase orders published on the army’s ordnance department, the force will acquire three armored personnel carriers, 12 mobile artillery units, 10 maintenance vehicles, 12 armored command vehicles and three armored medical vehicles.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2019/02/01/army-spends-2-2-billion-baht-for-more-chinese-apcs-ammo/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2019-02-01

Quickly raking in some backhanders before the election. Maybe they feel themselves that they are not going to retain power and want to make a few fast bucks before its over.

I hope that these deals will be checked (not that I expect much after the watch fiasco)

29 minutes ago, webfact said:

Where are their imagined threats coming from? External threats from their neighbours, Malaysia, Myanmar, Laos or Cambodia? Or internal threats from within stemming from civil disobedience? Or both?

meanwhile  rural  roads  by  me  crumble and  there  isnt  any  money  to fix  a  cheap  plastic  waterpipe  for  the  main  village  supply...............they are  such pratts

1 hour ago, kannot said:

meanwhile  rural  roads  by  me  crumble and  there  isnt  any  money  to fix  a  cheap  plastic  waterpipe  for  the  main  village  supply...............they are  such pratts

Im right behind you with that

3 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Where are their imagined threats coming from? External threats from their neighbours, Malaysia, Myanmar, Laos or Cambodia? Or internal threats from within stemming from civil disobedience? Or both?

Falang.

????????

"the force will acquire three armored personnel carriers, 12 mobile artillery units, 10 maintenance vehicles, 12 armored command vehicles and three armored medical vehicles."

looks like someone has worked out that towed artillery, jeeps as command vehicles (CVs) and soft skinned ambulances don't work too well with fast armoured vehicles.

Can't imagine why they're buying the maintenance vehicles!

Looking at this purchase, the new tanks and the wheeled APCs bought a few years ago, looks like a small but punchy modern battlegroup is being put together. I wonder who will get them/where they will be based?

I bet they won't go to the poor sods riding around the southern provinces in pick up trucks

32 minutes ago, JAG said:

"the force will acquire three armored personnel carriers, 12 mobile artillery units, 10 maintenance vehicles, 12 armored command vehicles and three armored medical vehicles."

looks like someone has worked out that towed artillery, jeeps as command vehicles (CVs) and soft skinned ambulances don't work too well with fast armoured vehicles.

Can't imagine why they're buying the maintenance vehicles!

Looking at this purchase, the new tanks and the wheeled APCs bought a few years ago, looks like a small but punchy modern battlegroup is being put together. I wonder who will get them/where they will be based?

I bet they won't go to the poor sods riding around the southern provinces in pick up trucks

Well, all that ought to make ASEAN members be in awe of Thailand - and no mistake.

Where did Prem find these people? Were they *all* down the local street market? Cooking crickets or flies or something?

What about Ringo, where did he pop up from? The PatPong super fake watch emporium?

1 hour ago, JAG said:

Perhaps they're for the big house, now that the BKK 'defenders' have been shifted out a bit (allegedly to make coups by them harder to launch).

Summat's up at' mill, and it's not bratwurst..

1 hour ago, HalfLight said:

Perhaps they're for the big house, now that the BKK 'defenders' have been shifted out a bit (allegedly to make coups by them harder to launch).

Summat's up at' mill, and it's not bratwurst..

There is quite a lot of space that has become available in that part of Bangkok recently.

2 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

According to "Janes" these vehicles/war machines are very high tech.

But... You need some one to operate them in a conflict. Thailand fails in any conflict.

And who can blame them. ... 

You also need a conflict, which Thailand doesn't have now, hasn't had for the past 30 odd years and is unlikely to have any time soon. 

The main purpose of these purchases is the commission they generate for the generals.

Archived