BANGKOK 19 March 2019 21:40
Gtto

O-A After Extension of Stay

I am not comfortable for various reasons of leaving 800k in a Thai bank. I was therefore planning on applying for a multiple entry O A in the USA. I currently have an extension of stay based on retirement. Does anyone know if it is a problem getting an O A after having this extension assuming all criteria are met? Thanks.

No problem for you to apply for a OA visa after having an extension issued here.

• Like 1

Mosan,

Thanks for all that. Was it required to get the stuff from the FBI or will local police do? Could you leave the application  in person or did you have to do it by mail? I was going to go to the consulate in NY. The crazy part is that I will be there in three weeks but I have less than 12 months on my passport and no time to get a new one before I go or after I get there. That means I will have to fly back there when my extension runs out.

14 hours ago, Gtto said:

Mosan,

Thanks for all that. Was it required to get the stuff from the FBI or will local police do? Could you leave the application  in person or did you have to do it by mail? I was going to go to the consulate in NY. The crazy part is that I will be there in three weeks but I have less than 12 months on my passport and no time to get a new one before I go or after I get there. That means I will have to fly back there when my extension runs out.

I am from WA state and request a background check via the Washington State Patrol web site. I pay $10 extra and receive a notarized copy within a few days via the USPS, with no fingerprint cards required. The key point when requesting a background check is to be sure they will check histories of both felony and misdemeanor issues.

I have done this over several years with no problems.

P.S. The OP listed the required documents from the Thai Embassy in WA DC. Know that the requirements are a bit different in other locations. I use the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles and there are differences in the numbers of required copies etc from what the Thai Embassy wants.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gtto said:

Mosan,

Specifically, local police are excluded.  It must be state or federal. 

Specifically, local police are excluded.  It must be state or federal. 

As long as they have the ability to provide the correct documentation, I see no evidence that local police are excluded. This comes from the LA Thai Consulate website -

“Four copies of police verification stating the applicant has no criminal record issued by the authority concerned of his/her nationality or residence.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@Gtto

The OA visa will give you some time in Thailand without having to have money in a Thai bank, but to extend it annually, you'll have to deposit money, or use the income route.

• Confused 1

[mention=174500]Gtto[/mention]

The OA visa will give you some time in Thailand without having to have money in a Thai bank, but to extend it annually, you'll have to deposit money, or use the income route.

You can get a second year out of the o-a visa by doing a border run. Each time up to the enter before date on the visa that you do the border run you will get an additional year, with no financial requirements. After that point one must apply for an extension of stay - there is no way to “extend it annually.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, SpokaneAl said:

You can get a second year out of the o-a visa by doing a border run. Each time up to the enter before date on the visa that you do the border run you will get an additional year, with no financial requirements. After that point one must apply for an extension of stay - there is no way to “extend it annually.”

Your use of the term border run is accurate, but I think that tends to conjure people taking buses or vans to Cambodia or Laos or Myanmar and such.

All that's required to obtain the 2nd year of permission to stay under the O-A is to depart Thailand and then re-enter before the first year validity of the O-A expires. Thus any kind of international travel out of Thailand and back accomplishes that, including a trip back to one's home country and then a return to Thailand.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, mosan said:

I just returned from the US. I did a Non-immigrant O-A Multiple Entry at the Thai Washington D.C. embassy. Went very smooth. Initiated a police report from the FBI online and they immediately emailed me a letter to send along with a fingerprint card which can be obtained from any police office or security firm.

I had to snail mail the fingerprint card to them and they snail mailed the results letter back to me. The FBI report came back in 11 days. They will email you the result, but the Thai Embassy wants originals for the police report (and the medical certificate) signed in blue or black ink.

Visited my local primary care doctor and she gave me a quick checkup and completed the medical certificate that I downloaded from the Thai embassy website...along with the 2 required application forms required for the O-A VISA.

Mailed by Unites States Postal Service Priority Mail Express (next day delivery $24.70) to:

Consular Section

Thai Embassy

2300 Kalorama Rd. N.W.

Washington D.C. 20008-1623

Tel. (202) 640-5658 / (202) 640-1439

Fax. (202) 459-9536

Email: visa@thaiembdc.org

- VISA application forms

- Two 2"x2" passport photos

-  FBI report (State or Federal) 

-  Medical certificate

-  $200 postal money order

-  Passport

- Social Security income letter (printed from the mySSA website)

- Defense Accounting and Finance (DFAS) income letter (printed from the myPAY website)

- Prepaid self addressed "stamped not metered" USPS Express envelope for the return of your passport.

I also threw in my 1099SSA (Social Security), and 1099R (Retired Pay) tax documents from 2018 for good measure as income verification.

I sent the originals and a copy of each item—they wanted 2 complete sets of everything— but no copies of passport pages needed, and no need to sign any copies of anything except the application forms themselves.

The entire process took about 15 days...YMMV

P.S. I've been living in Thailand since 2000 and always did extensions using the income affidavit from the US Embassy in Bangkok. With this process, I visited home and skipped the in-country Immigrations dance all in one fell swoop...although I did drop into the Immigrations Office after arrival and the Officer pulled up my credentials on her computer and completed the TM30 in about 15 minutes. Rumor has it I'll get 2 years out of this baby... 

What do you do regarding renewals?  Do you have to travel back to the USA or can you do that from Thailand? 

One question that occurs to me here is this:

How does someone who's actually living in Thailand, and making a trip back to the U.S. to apply for and obtain an O-A, best obtain the fingerprint/criminal records clearance QUICKLY without being stuck waiting in the U.S. for a long period waiting for the mailed return of the records history, and only then being able to go to the Consulate to apply, which has its own turnaround/waiting period?

Is there anyway to start the criminal records request process from Thailand so that the turnaround time in the U.S. is minimized?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

What do you do regarding renewals?  Do you have to travel back to the USA or can you do that from Thailand? 

The O-A cannot be renewed. You'd need to travel back to the U.S. every 1-2 years to apply for a new one...

The alternative, of course, is to instead apply for an extension of stay based on retirement from Thai Immigration. But that's getting increasingly complicated and burdensome with the new/latest rules involving having to import monthly income into Thailand and/or having to keep Thai bank deposit funds above a 400,000 baht level for the entirety of the year, apart from the 800K requirement for 3 months preceding your application.

• Like 2