Retire to Philippines - Forget Thailand

With all the new immigration requirements, especially the financial requirements, to retire in Thailand, and increasing prices, and appreciating Thai Baht consider moving to the Philippines.

Philippines has an attractive offer, a special retirement resident visa (SRRV). Check here: https://pra.gov.ph/

The SRRV is a lifetime visa and its holders are exempt from Bureau of Immigration requirements. SRRV-holders are also eligible to work, study or invest in the Philippines. Here are the benefits of an SRRV:

1. Indefinite stay with multiple-entry/exit privileges;

2. Exemption from:

• Philippine Bureau of Immigration ACR-I Card (Annual Report)

• Customs duties & taxes for one time importation of household goods & personal effects worth up to US$7,000.00 Tax from pensions & annuities

• Travel Tax, if retiree has not stayed in the Philippines for more than 1 year from last date of entry

• Student Visa/Study Permit

3. Access to the Greet & Assist Program at selected Philippine airports;

4. Free subscription to the PRA Newsletter;

5. Discount privileges from PRA accredited Merchant Partners;

6. Free assistance in transacting with other government agencies;

7. Entitlement to PHILHEALTH benefits & privileges.

Note:

There is a one time USD$1,400 SRRV application fee for the Principal and $300 for spouse and each dependent. You have to complete a SRRV application form, have a current passport with a valid entry visa, medical examination clearance, police clearance and NBI (National Bureau of Investigation) clearance, twelve 2"×2" ID pictures and supporting documents if your spouse and/or dependents will be joining you living in the Philippines.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

regular 'brown outs', poor to none existent 3G in many parts of the country, crumbling infrastructure, a homicidal maniac as a President,  an active drugs mafia, a near Civil War on the southern Islands.  Really?   

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Don't forget to check out the financial deposit requirements.

Yes, it's USD$20,000 (without a pension) which is less than 800K baht, and also that deposit can be converted into a condo, or long-term lease, etc..

Just now, Banana7 said:

Yes, it's USD$20,000 (without a pension) which is less than 800K baht, and also that deposit can be converted into a condo, or long-term lease, etc..

Plus the USD 360 annual fee.

9 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Missed that in the OP.

???????????? thank you.

15 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

regular 'brown outs', poor to none existent 3G in many parts of the country, crumbling infrastructure, a homicidal maniac as a President,  an active drugs mafia, a near Civil War on the southern Islands.  Really?   

Never had a brown out while there.

3g isn't a deal breaker.

Infrastructure was acceptable.

Never met the president.

Never was hassled by a drug mafia.

The southern conflict (sounds familiar) has been going on for years.

Anyway, sounds average.

Just now, HLover said:

Never had a brown out while there.

3g isn't a deal breaker.

Infrastructure was acceptable.

Never met the president.

Never was hassled by a drug mafia.

The southern conflict (sounds familiar) has been going on for years.

Anyway, sounds average.

well then,  good luck mate. 

From Experience:  

Thailand, food is cleaner, spicer (subjective), safer, cheaper, large variety.  Thai Immigration is idiotic.  Drivers are opposite to Philippines - Death is a perquisite to driving in Thailand.  THAI's don't really want us there, only our money.  Don't mess with Thai, they will gut you like a pig.  Thai Realestate design is better much more update and better bang for the buck.  Wifi is cheaper, strong, and stable everywhere (almost).  

Philippines:  Infrastructure is poor.  Food, opposite to above statements.  Immigration, easier and cheaper.  People, very welcoming (over all).  Driving, over all much safer. Wifi = SUX! Island hoping is much nicer (subjective)...over 7,000+ islands.

Summary: Thailand is Jetsons, compared to the Flintstones in Philippines...more or less.  I enjoy both countries, but prefer lifestyle of Thailand.

Definitely looking at other countries as an option if Thai immigration officials get on a roll with immigration reform which tends to penalize retirees...with no end to their meddling in sight.  Lived in Cebu city and in Luzon...enjoyed both experiences.  PI girls speak better English and many are quite beautiful.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Philippines,

Whenever I was out there the $10k and $20k rules just required you to sign a declaration you had the money.

Nobody ever required you to actually show them the bank statement.

Has anyone ever been asked to produce proof?

May be an interesting option for some people who are looking for a change of scenery.

Good you posted your experiences. ????

It's all subjective of course, but.

Manilla is horrible, I hate it more than I hate BKK.

The islands, much more beautiful than anything in Thailand.

Infrastructure, pretty much on a par with Thailand throughout

English, that goes without saying

The people over all, pretty darn nice, and unlike in Thailand you actually can have a decent conversation...and yes I speak Thai.

Maniacal Duterte, well we've all have our fair share of crazy politicians. I guess on the upside, unlike Thailand he was elected!

Actually a normal tourist visa is all you need to spend 3 years in Philippines as they can be extended continually.  After 3 years an exit/return is required.  Many live using that method and immigration is very happy to provide and after a few months you can obtain an ID card.  One year stay is provided with entry with a Philippine spouse.  

I spent a lot of time in the Philippines  a long time ago when it was a bit grim.

However, speaking to friends who have recently been there it seems to have improved a hell of a lot recently, especially on the main islands. Might be worth checking it out if you are unattached whilst things are still easy.

Most people in Thailand are beginning to see that unless you can afford the rising costs then the writing is well and truly on the wall.

It is certainly not going to get easier.

Jump or get pushed.

Philippines Retirement program (SRRV) is not well marketed (website and email addressess regularly crash/change and/or are ignored) and my requests for information have been inconsistently fulfilled.  I lived in the PI as a child and like the place, but the 'permanent residency' which costs $30USD/month after the deposit and fees might not be a 'bargain'. 

Beware anyone pushing the SRRV program on forums online as 'marketers' are required  to be registered with PRA due to a history of MASSIVE fraud.

Panama has several programs for residency; most of Latin America has some sort of pensioner's visa regime as well.  I have multiple 'permanent' visas, including Panama.  Malaysia also has a good reputation.

Services at the VA clinic are fairly basic - not much different from any decent local doctor.  If you are in Manila, you can get an annual physical and be seen for any illness or injury on an outpatient basis, just like in the USA.  (Keep in mind that you will be charged the US co-pay rates for your medications and care, just like in Kansas!)  If you get sick outside Manila, I doubt you will want to travel all the way to the VA Clinic for some Sudafed and Tylenol.  Oh, and your doctor at the VA Clinic might be a local hire.

If you are Service-Connected Disabled, you are eligible for local care (almost) anywhere in the world for your S/C conditions through the Foreign Medical Program. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2019 at 9:24 PM, RickG16 said:

How is PH for a holiday destination, of say two weeks, coming from Thailand?

Does it make for a good getaway from LOS?

It's great, 30 days waiver on arrival, bus from Manilla down to Clark (no beach) or Subic (nice beach) and it's a bit like being in Pattaya.

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It's great, 30 days waiver on arrival, bus from Manilla down to Clark (no beach) or Subic (nice beach) and it's a bit like being in Pattaya.

I always say up when going North - but you can fly directly to Clark (Angeles City - nightlife, restaurants, hotels and low costs of Pattaya) and avoid Manila easily.  "The nice thing is you can extend that stay up to 3 years before you have to exit for a new entry if you decide to stay." - noticed said that above - sorry for repeat.    

On 2/1/2019 at 4:45 PM, Pilotman said:

Not to mention that the food is basically pretty horrible. 

11 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:
On 2/1/2019 at 4:45 PM, Pilotman said:

Not to mention that the food is basically pretty horrible. 

There is no argument that conditions are less advanced than Thailand but from my experience and current reading it is a building infrastructure rather than crumbling.  Drugs are much better controlled than previously.  There is less terrorist activity than Thailand.  They actually have an elected president.  Internet is expensive but improving.  Brown outs in major cities have been reduced greatly (but being many islands it will always be an issue - but plus side of many islands are many peaceful beaches).  Believe many can agree with the food choice being less tasty most places - but in cities it should not be a major issue as most things are available.  Hotels tend to be a grade below Thailand but much recent activity to improve as they are now geting a lot more tourists than in the past.  The main plus for English speakers could be communication with people and shops - and for many that may be a game changer.  But as with anything - one size does not fit all and Vietnam/Cambodia (in local area) may be more attractive to some - and for many Thailand remains in first place.

On 2/1/2019 at 8:23 PM, InsertNameHere said:

Grass is not always greener on the other side as they say. No matter where you go everything is still the same only thing changes is culture

Yes if you're forced to leave because you're going to struggle financially under the new TI rules, then the PI seems a better option to me than returning to UK. ANYWHERE seems a better option than returning to UK!!!

Archived