Retire to Philippines - Forget Thailand

I rather like Filipino food. 

As I said before, I think the infrastructure is pretty much on a par with Thailand.

God knows first clap of thunder in our house in Thailand and power goes out.

Brown outs all the time. As soon as the refrigerator compressor starts groaning you know the voltage has dipped. We also have the solar and every day the inverter will kick out when the line voltage drops by 30 volts

So I don't see a lot of difference there

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/1/2019 at 7:32 PM, BritManToo said:

Philippines,

Whenever I was out there the $10k and $20k rules just required you to sign a declaration you had the money.

Nobody ever required you to actually show them the bank statement.

Has anyone ever been asked to produce proof?

For the $10,000.00 pension deposit option you need to transfer it to a designated bank but, the pension does NOT need to go into a Phils bank, it can stay in your home country or wherever you want. All you need to show is a pension statement from your provider one time only. The $10,000.00 also attracts interest which can be paid out yearly or just rolled over.

On 2/15/2019 at 5:18 PM, watcharacters said:

I have to ask where were you in the PI?

Brown outs are a way of life.

I’ve been island hopping for the last four months-Mindanao, Siargao, Dinagat, Camiguin, Bohol, Cebu, Negros and now Siquijor and I can say that brown outs are very rare.

Crime is non-existent, people are genuinely friendly, beaches are beautiful, food varies from crap to pretty tasty, and driving is a pleasure.

i’ll be returning to Thailand sometime to close out my bank account.

On 2/1/2019 at 6:34 PM, HLover said:

May be an interesting option for some people who are looking for a change of scenery.

Good you posted your experiences. ????

Also , for people from the UK on a state Pension , the Pension is not frozen , Annual increases based on triple lock (minimum 2.5%)

I have ex family who live there since my sons divorce. Visited once and yes the people are great but of course they were family and guess what they did not all speak english, they myth about english is just that, yes is tourist areas you will have people speaking english with a heavy accent good luck understanding half of what they say. The roads in Thailand are much better that the ones I travelled in Philippines, medical care will be more expensive there as well. P.I. is still a third world country with the same problems as Thailand plus some of its own

Wake up ,,,, I have travelled extensively in Thailand Philippines and Vietnam over the last 20 years +. Vietnam shi*ts on the other two in all major aspects ( Beauty of country , cost of living , quality of food) ,,,, except percentage of people speaking English ( and that is rapidly improving).

1 hour ago, whaleboneman said:

I’ve been island hopping for the last four months-Mindanao, Siargao, Dinagat, Camiguin, Bohol, Cebu, Negros and now Siquijor and I can say that brown outs are very rare.

Crime is non-existent, people are genuinely friendly, beaches are beautiful, food varies from crap to pretty tasty, and driving is a pleasure.

Lived in Philippines for a year in 2007, travelled back there quite a few times on holiday and visiting friends. 

I’d agree, a lot of the islands are beautiful but some beach areas have been ruined by tourism. Philippine food is all bland imo. I tried it in the villages and cities and found nothing I liked. I do prefer Thai food. Never drove myself but was in enough vehicles to know that the roads and traffic are not much better than Thailand. Heard more honking horns there than Thailand.

People are genuinely friendly, well some are, just like some are in a Thailand. Had a few gf’s from there and it all eventually comes down to money and family. 

Crime is non-existent, well you are obviously having a laugh aren’t you. 

On 2/15/2019 at 4:32 AM, BritManToo said:

It's great, 30 days waiver on arrival, bus from Manilla down to Clark (no beach) or Subic (nice beach) and it's a bit like being in Pattaya.

Clark/Angeles is good for two weeks of depravity but otherwise is a real s-hole.  Personally, I would spend two weeks in (the new) Boracay.

31 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Clark/Angeles is good for two weeks of depravity but otherwise is a real s-hole.  Personally, I would spend two weeks in (the new) Boracay.

Actually that is not fully true anymore - it is becoming very developed as the capital office functions move to Clark - it still has the lively bar area but also many new and modern condos and homes and a growing middle class.  And has always been a good place for food at reasonable prices with a large influx of Koreans adding to that.  But the pedicabs are still tiny torture chambers. 

Actual taxi service in Cebu might be an attraction to there (although traffic can be extreme).  But Cebu area does not normally get severe typhoons.  

1 hour ago, moe666 said:

I have ex family who live there since my sons divorce. Visited once and yes the people are great but of course they were family and guess what they did not all speak english, they myth about english is just that, yes is tourist areas you will have people speaking english with a heavy accent good luck understanding half of what they say. The roads in Thailand are much better that the ones I travelled in Philippines, medical care will be more expensive there as well. P.I. is still a third world country with the same problems as Thailand plus some of its own

I can confirm your statement...very true!  I just came from traveling all over the Philippines.  First, I like the Philippines.  Hospitality is very nice, but infrastructure, medical, roads, medicines, etc is 3rd world.  Thailand = Jetsons....Philippines = Flintstones.  That can summarize it pretty short and quick. Oh, beaches are very nice, and food is HIGH sodium, grease, carbs.  Look at the ladies, FAT. Now look at Thai, skinny frames.

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

God knows first clap of thunder in our house in Thailand and power goes out.

Brown outs all the time.

In the hour since I first reacted to your post, bang on cue, 2 outages.

Expect them every week.

At least 7 years since I was first told PI a good option.

But I think it would be too hot for me.

On 2/2/2019 at 5:53 AM, Puchaiyank said:

Having a VA clinic in the PI is a BIG Plus for expat American vets looking for an alternative retirement country.

Screenshot_20190202-055010_Google.jpg

Do you have any idea what they can treat there and whom they treat?

Best to find out before posting BS.

Do they have a trauma or emergency room?

On 2/1/2019 at 8:23 PM, InsertNameHere said:

Grass is not always greener on the other side as they say. No matter where you go everything is still the same only thing changes is culture

Agreed and there is also the person itself that doesn't change. Wherever you go you will meet yourself.

My overall impression of PI and Thailand in the mid to late 80s was Thailand "seemed" to have it's s**t together a bit more than PI, at least back then.

My take away from Pro/Con comments on these types of threads leads me to believe that's still the case, more or less.

I do not miss the annual anxiety being in typhoon alley, or living on/near the Ring of Fire, with its potential for earthquakes and associated tsunamis warnings.  Been there done that, got a few t-shirts. 

For now, possible flooding and Thai Immigration isn't enough reason to retreat, just yet.  But really, it's cause I'm Tied up with a Thai.  If that wasn't the case, me and my ATM card would probably go walk-about in PI for a while.  Why not!

On 2/2/2019 at 5:53 AM, Puchaiyank said:

Having a VA clinic in the PI is a BIG Plus for expat American vets looking for an alternative retirement country.

Screenshot_20190202-055010_Google.jpg

They have the same thing in Thailand (Foreign Medical Program) except at a real hospital.  Why would one opt to go the a clinic in PI with no emergency rooms when the top hospitals in Thailand do the same thing? 

It is a constant source of amazement to me that people would post information without at least asking someone who has some knowledge of the issue being discussed. 

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

They have the same thing in Thailand (Foreign Medical Program) except at a real hospital.  Why would one opt to go the a clinic in PI with no emergency rooms when the top hospitals in Thailand do the same thing? 

It is a constant source of amazement to me that people would post information without at least asking someone who has some knowledge of the issue being discussed. 

a friend of mine who is a veteran from vietnam era living in thailand has brought up on several occasions he had to go to ph for that hospital, altho i cant recall why

4 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Having addressed this before:  The VA Facility in Manila is an OUTPATIENT CLINIC.  This means that they will treat your service-connected conditions without having to wait for FMP to reimburse you.  If you are 100% service-connected disabled, you will get regular annual checkups and other care as you would get from the VA in the States.

If your heart condition is not service-connected, you will likely be shown the door.  This is VA policy; how they apply it varies from angry vet to non-angry vet.

The clinic was NOT placed there for US expats; it was placed there as part of the obligation to Filipinos who served with US forces in WW2, when it was a US Territory (like Guam or Puerto Rico).  If you want VA care, you can also go to Guam, no visa required for US passport holders...

On 2/1/2019 at 4:06 AM, GinBoy2 said:

It's all subjective of course, but.

Manilla is horrible, I hate it more than I hate BKK.

The islands, much more beautiful than anything in Thailand.

Infrastructure, pretty much on a par with Thailand throughout

English, that goes without saying

The people over all, pretty darn nice, and unlike in Thailand you actually can have a decent conversation...and yes I speak Thai.

Maniacal Duterte, well we've all have our fair share of crazy politicians. I guess on the upside, unlike Thailand he was elected!

• Point by Point
  • Manila traffic is wore than Jakarta, and Jakarta is maniacal  -  At least Bangkok traffic is organized and the stop lights work and obeyed(for the most part)  Its only when the BIB get involved and try to control traffic flow is when it gets totally miffed up.
  • True
  • Naaaaah  -  Internet and TV is better in Thailand than Phillipines
  • True
  • Love the Filipina's they are so accommodating  -  genuine smiles, stop one and ask for direction, they might even accompany you to ensure you get where you want to go, stop Thai Girl and ask for directions, they look down and start walking faster, even if you speak Thai.
  • Not much different from Taksin, a whole slew of drug dealers, traffickers, users etc etc etc were murdered on his watch, you see anyone crying about that now??       Peace 

Have been to both and still prefer Thai over PI in nearly all regards.

with the Thai visa changes i think many are sure to leave Thailand, and very soon.

The cost of living has definately risen in the last 5 years, and whats worse is the baht flying high against our currencies.

actually I predict many of our own countries will soon have a cost of living similiar to Thailand..

there is massive debt everywhere, and you can see this by inflation being very low.

when folk cant afford stuff and are not spending, things must go down in price and technology is taking over jobs at a scary pace.

Also as one gets older it can be nice to be in a place you actually belong, instead of being classed as an alien farang and walking ATM.

having said that, a move back to the U.K or U.S would be a horrible scenario..

the Asian countries will all still give you the usual problems

maybe Australia worth a try?

On 2/1/2019 at 2:19 AM, mike787 said:

THAI's don't really want us there, only our money.

People keep saying that and it makes me laugh. Thai's do not care either way. Westerners seem to have this arrogance that every country wants them to live in their country because they infuse bucket loads of cash. Most retirees living in Thailand moved here to live cheap and spend little. 

Thailand, like every country, has their immigration rules and policies and like all countries those come up for review and changes. Usually the people stating the above are ones that do not have the means to sustain themselves so they blame the Thai people to deflect. 

Now if we are talking tourism, absolutely they want us to come and visit and spend money. Every country has a reliance on tourism. As for living there full time, the contribution made by westerners living in Thailand is probably statistically insignificant. 

2 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:

Nahhhhh ,,, you'd hate it. SUPER expensive in any decent area for rent 44,000 THB for an average 2 bed apartment ( called a flat here). Eating out is VERY expensive ,, cooking at home is ok.

Night life ,, ahhhh 220 - 300 Baht a beer ,,, 

And too many obnoxious Aussies here ???? 

On 2/17/2019 at 10:50 PM, tingtongtourist said:

Have been to both and still prefer Thai over PI in nearly all regards.

with the Thai visa changes i think many are sure to leave Thailand, and very soon.

The cost of living has definately risen in the last 5 years, and whats worse is the baht flying high against our currencies.

actually I predict many of our own countries will soon have a cost of living similiar to Thailand..

there is massive debt everywhere, and you can see this by inflation being very low.

when folk cant afford stuff and are not spending, things must go down in price and technology is taking over jobs at a scary pace.

Also as one gets older it can be nice to be in a place you actually belong, instead of being classed as an alien farang and walking ATM.

having said that, a move back to the U.K or U.S would be a horrible scenario..

the Asian countries will all still give you the usual problems

Now I would suspect that Australia is the same as the UK & US from what I read on TVF. 

I can only give my perspective an American but I think the same who would be true in the UK. 

It's all about location. Compare San Francisco to Thailand, especially Nakhon BackofBeyond, and there's no comparison. 

But do the same comparison in the midwest for example, that gets a tad marginal.

I'm definitely with you on the point of getting older and wanting to 'belong'

Sometime it's nice to be among people whose brains work roughly on the same frequency as yours!

We are a little different than most, all our kids Thai & American live in the US. In fact it was when our son(Thai/US dual) moved to the US that was the catalyst for us moving back

On 2/17/2019 at 11:25 AM, whaleboneman said:

Thailand is like a sprinter that started a 50 meter race with a huge lead and advantage only to stumble and fall and vainly not take seriously its competitors who will soon blaze by them like a whirlwind.

Archived