Retire to Philippines - Forget Thailand

On 2/1/2019 at 4:45 PM, Pilotman said:

regular 'brown outs', poor to none existent 3G in many parts of the country, crumbling infrastructure, a homicidal maniac as a President,  an active drugs mafia, a near Civil War on the southern Islands.  Really?   

The PI is like the US - it all depends where you go.  Baguio City and other parts of Luzon aren't bad.  No, it ain't Thailand.  But if the Thai government is dead-set on pushing out foreigners, the PI is on my list of places reestablish residence.  If life hands you lemons...........

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was there 20 years ago on business (aerospace) my boss at the time fell in love with the lady working at the driving range. Ended

going to the market and going to her house for bbq. Boss paid for the food drinks. 

It was innthe poor poor section of town Manila. Looked like a two car garage a g 12 people lived in it. Three of us Singapore ( he bought 1/2 of JD knocked it back then slept on the sofa until ready

to go.

Boss American played footsie with the lady. I just steady drank beer until we could out of there and watched the rats run around and around on the open beams. 

Only thing boss got is to pay for the food and drinks

Manila looked fairly rough and dangerous then

The best thing about the Philippines is the ability to live there indefinitely on a tourist visa. You only have to leave the country every three years and fly back in and begin the process all over again. You'll pay about fifty bucks every three months to renew. The sanest visa policy in Asia along with Vietnam and Cambodia.

20 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

The best thing about the Philippines is the ability to live there indefinitely on a tourist visa. You only have to leave the country every three years and fly back in and begin the process all over again. You'll pay about fifty bucks every three months to renew. The sanest visa policy in Asia along with Vietnam and Cambodia.

Can you open bank accounts, rent apartments, etc. on that status? Also, keep in mind they could change that at any time. Cambodia seems the easiest now for retirement status anyway, visa-wise, though like Thailand it's annual with no path towards permanent residence. 

After 30+ years in Thailand which I enjoyed tremendously and I have two adult children in Krabi, Bang Lamung just got too crowded and as I have a Filippina wife we moved to our house in the Philippines. After considerable time and paperwork I have a Probationary Residence Card and full PhilHealth benefits. Next year I can apply for full Residency. The food is not as good as Thailand and for sure the fruit selection in Thailand is far superior. As it is a short cheap flight to Thailand, we can go when I feel the urge. As a retired guy the medical coverage and the fact I had a house already paid for in the Philippines made it an easy although sad move for me. There are also places like Angeles City for those who miss the night life.

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Can you open bank accounts, rent apartments, etc. on that status? 

Yes, after 60 days in country you're required to buy an Alien Registration Card (ID card not expensive) which is used as ID for opening bank accounts, utility accounts and all official business.

Also a pal of mine in his 70s was having trouble getting around easily, after his three years was nearly up he went to immigration and asked about his concerns for leaving the country and they said, "No problem sir, we'll just make a note in your passport and you can renew for another three years". A very reasonable immigration attitude in PI.

On 2/26/2019 at 4:32 PM, Pilotman said:

Can't say that I recognise that characterisation of Thailand at all.  The road system and 4g/3g and upcoming 5G is far superior to even the UK and the US, outside the big cities.  I have sat on the banks of the Mekong with 5 bar Thai signal strength on my phone, try that on the banks of the Thames in rural Oxfordshire, or the Mississippi. Thailand is a constitutional Monarchy and that makes all the difference to the way that any government here can operate. Immigration rules are a matter for the host country. I have no issue with the rules here. My fibre internet, through ToT is fast enough to run Netflix on 3 devices at once, try that in the PI. All Asian countries are to some extent xenophobic, Thailand is no exception and neither is the PI. Thinking about it, neither is the UK. Too many people posting here seem to think that neighbouring countries to LOS are so much better in ever way; sorry to disappoint, but they are not, bar Singapore and Hong Kong, if you have that kind of money and if you think LOS Immigration law is hard, try those two.  

First off sitting on the banks of the mekong and you get five bars maybe the tower is directly across the river lol.  Thailand's internet is okay but nothing to brag about and ranks far beneath many southeast asian countries.   Are you claiming Thailand has better internet than England or the United States?  Please explain what this is based upon. Pretty much all data runs contrary to this assertion.

And there is little doubt Thailand in many ways is going the route of China in terms of monitoring civilians, open democracy etc.  Sure xenophobia exists elsewhere but to the same degree?  Are you perhaps new to Thailand?

Thailand is 21st in the world for internet speed.

The Philippines is 100th.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Internet_connection_speeds

Two reasons why I will never live in the Philippines.

1. When you walk down the street with a local women, the men are whispering constant insults to the woman and only to the woman (usually about your dick size). That woman could be your wife, or your lawyer. Watch the woman turn red and pick up their walking speed. Thai men have the good manners to keep their mouths shut, though, you could get a dirty look at worst.

2. The food is so bad, it's vomit worthy.

2 hours ago, tlandtday said:

First off sitting on the banks of the mekong and you get five bars maybe the tower is directly across the river lol.  Thailand's internet is okay but nothing to brag about and ranks far beneath many southeast asian countries.   Are you claiming Thailand has better internet than England or the United States?  Please explain what this is based upon. Pretty much all data runs contrary to this assertion.

And there is little doubt Thailand in many ways is going the route of China in terms of monitoring civilians, open democracy etc.  Sure xenophobia exists elsewhere but to the same degree?  Are you perhaps new to Thailand?

I lived in the South East of the UK, its economic power house.  My internet was not as fast or reliable as the one I have now from TOT and it was a lot more expensive, 3 times the cost. No, not at all new to Thailand. I just know the country  very well and I see the things that mark it out as a much better place to live than the UK at least.  

P.S sitting on the Mekong, why would Thailand have a mast on the Laos side? 

One enormous factor against retiring in Thailand is the new cyber law which effectively allows "Thai Officials" to do anything they want on the internet including copying and snooping on anything you do on the internet and any device connected to the internet. This includes your banking, stock market trades, personal private communications without any judicial oversight or permission. See details here:

It's one of two destinations I have in mind if the whole thing falls through. The other is Vietnam, although that option would be more difficult because of language issues. Those are my "plans B and C".

2 hours ago, Banana7 said:

effectively allows "Thai Officials" to do anything they want on the internet including copying and snooping on anything you do on the internet and any device connected to the internet. This includes your banking, stock market trades, personal private communications without any judicial oversight or permission.

Hogwash ......  I'm not buying your comment.

6 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

1. When you walk down the street with a local women, the men are whispering constant insults to the woman

I find the same here in Thailand when I walk with my GF who is an educated professional, as far removed from being a bargirl as it gets, yet she is treated as a bargirl because she's with a farang. The Thai people can be incredibly cruel.

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

Hogwash ......  I'm not buying your comment.

Now they may not do anything with it but if they have the proper decryption software which I assume most do they will likely be able to view it.

10 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

I find the same here in Thailand when I walk with my GF who is an educated professional, as far removed from being a bargirl as it gets, yet she is treated as a bargirl because she's with a farang. The Thai people can be incredibly cruel.

I've had very similar experiences.

Me and my wife lived in Singapore for many years before we moved to Thailand, never an issue there, or after we moved the United States.

The problem is the extensive sex industry in Thailand.

It leads to the assumption that when they see a farang and Thai woman, she is, or was, a sex worker, regardless of what her actual lot in life is

16 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

My gf is a bargirl, but no Thai would treat her like that 'cos she'd knife them.

Pros-

1. The women can be lovely. And many of them speak english. And if you are older guy, that is a plus in the PI. Plus they are way less demanding, and the bar is set much lower, in terms of their expectations.

2. The visa system is something that some think is simpler. You do need to have money on deposit, and unlike Thailand it remains on deposit the entire time you live there. A minimum of $20,000 for the SRRV Smile visa.

3. In general I would say the people can be quite friendly. Especially the women. But, unlike Thailand, even the men can be friendly. I suspect if I lived there, I would have a number of local male friends, unlike here. 

4. The place is more Westernized. You do not feel like you are living on another planet, which can be nice sometimes. Some shopping can be better, as there are Costco type outlets there. 

https://nomadcapitalist.com/2018/01/15/the-philippines-residency-srrv/

Cons-

1. The entire country is like one big Tijuana.

2. The security situation is not very good. You always have to keep your eyes open, keep an eye on your back, and beware of robbery, home theft, and violence. It is rampant. I have many friends who live there, and they all say the same thing. 

3. If you do get into an altercation with a Philippine man, or are getting robbed or harassed, unless you are a 6th degree sensei, do not fight back. An astonishing number of locals are well trained in the fighting arts. Many are good with sticks, knives, blades or any sort, and their hands, fists and feet. I have a friend who is a world class security consultant. He is a master of seven different martial arts. He says he can usually fight his way out of a gang of men, nearly anywhere in the world. Except in the PI. That is the only country he will NOT take an assignment.

The average guys there, can take down the average Westerner in five seconds. In Thailand few have those kinds of skills. Very few.

4. The food sucks. The only other country I can think of with worse food, is Cuba. Granted, if you are willing to spend the money, you can find good food. But, it is not the general rule, as it is here. Also, the access to fresh fruits and vegetables is pathetic compared to Thailand. Very low quality, and often not fresh. Thailand is a paradise by comparison, when it comes to all things related to food. 

5. Pollution. They use a lower grade of diesel. So, there is alot of soot in the air. The PI has an epidemic of lung diseases and respiratory diseases. Even on many of the populated islands. The hospitals are full of people who are having a very hard time breathing. It is a real issue there. Lung disease is at an epidemic level, though the authorities do not like to talk about it, and publish very little information on it.

6. Aesthetics. The average house you would rent, looks like a slum. Tall walls, with barbed wire, to keep out intruders. And they just do not pay attention to landscaping and gardens like the Thai people do. So, most neighborhoods are fabulously ugly. 

7. Renting. There is a vastly lower number of rental units available, few are as nice as what you can find in Thailand, and it is almost always more expensive, with the possible exception of Central Bangkok. You just cannot find the studio apartments like the ones available all over Hua Hin, for 6,000 to 8,000 baht a month. That does not exist there.

Shall I go on? I could. As far as I am concerned, the only reason to live there is the women, and a more cooperative government. Alot of ex-pats are looking to leave Thailand, as the current administration is so far beyond heinous it is unspeakable. But, I expect them to be shown the door in the next elections, as they are despised by most Thai people. 

11 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

You do need to have money on deposit,

Not true for most expats who just use tourist visas for 3 years, exit, repeat.  And low financial retirement visas have become available to a much larger group of Americans recently (ex military as well as diplomatic now).  

The security situation is not very good

But is has greatly improved in the last year with elimination of most drugs.  

The food sucks.

But western fast food is cheap and available in any city location.

Yes could go on - but do not disagree completely - just that what fits one may not another - suspect a key factor is ability to adjust to the old Thai ways of clock not matters - if you need efficiency (in most things) Thailand will be your choice.

On 2/1/2019 at 4:45 PM, Pilotman said:

regular 'brown outs', poor to none existent 3G in many parts of the country, crumbling infrastructure, a homicidal maniac as a President,  an active drugs mafia, a near Civil War on the southern Islands.  Really?   

Not very good medical care from what I read on a Phil expat forum. 

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Pros-

1. The women can be lovely. And many of them speak english. And if you are older guy, that is a plus in the PI. Plus they are way less demanding, and the bar is set much lower, in terms of their expectations.

2. The visa system is something that some think is simpler. You do need to have money on deposit, and unlike Thailand it remains on deposit the entire time you live there. A minimum of $20,000 for the SRRV Smile visa.

3. In general I would say the people can be quite friendly. Especially the women. But, unlike Thailand, even the men can be friendly. I suspect if I lived there, I would have a number of local male friends, unlike here. 

4. The place is more Westernized. You do not feel like you are living on another planet, which can be nice sometimes. Some shopping can be better, as there are Costco type outlets there. 

https://nomadcapitalist.com/2018/01/15/the-philippines-residency-srrv/

Cons-

1. The entire country is like one big Tijuana.

2. The security situation is not very good. You always have to keep your eyes open, keep an eye on your back, and beware of robbery, home theft, and violence. It is rampant. I have many friends who live there, and they all say the same thing. 

3. If you do get into an altercation with a Philippine man, or are getting robbed or harassed, unless you are a 6th degree sensei, do not fight back. An astonishing number of locals are well trained in the fighting arts. Many are good with sticks, knives, blades or any sort, and their hands, fists and feet. I have a friend who is a world class security consultant. He is a master of seven different martial arts. He says he can usually fight his way out of a gang of men, nearly anywhere in the world. Except in the PI. That is the only country he will NOT take an assignment.

The average guys there, can take down the average Westerner in five seconds. In Thailand few have those kinds of skills. Very few.

4. The food sucks. The only other country I can think of with worse food, is Cuba. Granted, if you are willing to spend the money, you can find good food. But, it is not the general rule, as it is here. Also, the access to fresh fruits and vegetables is pathetic compared to Thailand. Very low quality, and often not fresh. Thailand is a paradise by comparison, when it comes to all things related to food. 

5. Pollution. They use a lower grade of diesel. So, there is alot of soot in the air. The PI has an epidemic of lung diseases and respiratory diseases. Even on many of the populated islands. The hospitals are full of people who are having a very hard time breathing. It is a real issue there. Lung disease is at an epidemic level, though the authorities do not like to talk about it, and publish very little information on it.

6. Aesthetics. The average house you would rent, looks like a slum. Tall walls, with barbed wire, to keep out intruders. And they just do not pay attention to landscaping and gardens like the Thai people do. So, most neighborhoods are fabulously ugly. 

7. Renting. There is a vastly lower number of rental units available, few are as nice as what you can find in Thailand, and it is almost always more expensive, with the possible exception of Central Bangkok. You just cannot find the studio apartments like the ones available all over Hua Hin, for 6,000 to 8,000 baht a month. That does not exist there.

Shall I go on? I could. As far as I am concerned, the only reason to live there is the women, and a more cooperative government. Alot of ex-pats are looking to leave Thailand, as the current administration is so far beyond heinous it is unspeakable. But, I expect them to be shown the door in the next elections, as they are despised by most Thai people. 

Why is Phil gov. better than Thai gov.? Do you really think Duterte is a caring person?

3 minutes ago, Letseng said:

Not very good medical care from what I read on a Phil expat forum. 

Actually medical care is not great but having a common language can make a big difference so in most cases that would make up for less advanced equipment.  But outside of the major cities it would be an issue and getting from there to here if unable to fly could be an issue.  Not a fan of the expat forums I have seen there - very much controlled by ownership opinions in my opinion.  ????

On 2/1/2019 at 2:06 PM, GinBoy2 said:

It's all subjective of course, but.

Manilla is horrible, I hate it more than I hate BKK.

The islands, much more beautiful than anything in Thailand.

Infrastructure, pretty much on a par with Thailand throughout

English, that goes without saying

The people over all, pretty darn nice, and unlike in Thailand you actually can have a decent conversation...and yes I speak Thai.

Maniacal Duterte, well we've all have our fair share of crazy politicians. I guess on the upside, unlike Thailand he was elected!

I visited Davao when Duterte was the Mayor. He took a firm stance against drug dealers there as well and the people loved him for it.

And that's why he was elected president by an huge majority.

Filipino staff in London's hospitals love him for the same reason. Ask 'em if you get the chance.

Listen to the people themselves not the liberal elite who run the Western MSM.

9 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

I visited Davao when Duterte was the Mayor. He took a firm stance against drug dealers there as well and the people loved him for it.

And that's why he was elected president by an huge majority.

Filipino staff in London's hospitals love him for the same reason. Ask 'em if you get the chance.

Listen to the people themselves not the liberal elite who run the Western MSM.

Yes, Duterte (admitted mass murderer) is a darling of the international nationalist/populist illiberal movement. Authoritarians like that often enjoy popularity, at least for a while. 

My personal view as an expat in Thailand and searching for alternatives is that local political matters are the business of the nationals. Left/right/authoritarian/democratic -- you're not a citizen. From an expat POV the questions should be more practical, unless there is a great chance local political matters will mess up your life there (usually not really that much). Obviously there are extreme exceptions which are must avoids for most without a specific work purpose, North Korea, Venezuela, etc. 

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, Duterte (admitted mass murderer) is a darling of the international nationalist/populist illiberal movement. Authoritarians like that often enjoy popularity, at least for a while. 

Actually a Filipino nurse in London told me 'We were sick of drugs being peddled to our children while the police did nothing until Duterte took over and started banging heads together and we love him for it'.

Don't take offence but I respect her take on it rather than yours.

Bear in mind he has an 80% approval rating among the people of the PI. Try naming one Western leader who has anything quite like it apart from possibly Victor Orban of Hungary.

8 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Actually a Filipino nurse in London told me 'We were sick of drugs being peddled to our children while the police did nothing until Duterte took over and started banging heads together and we love him for it'.

Don't take offence but I respect her take on it rather than yours.

Bear in mind he has an 80% approval rating among the people of the PI. Try naming one Western leader who has anything quite like it apart from possibly Victor Orban of Hungary.

Orban, an anti-Semitic white nationalist illiberal horror show. No, I don't respect supporters of such strong man leaders but of course you have every right to. You're not exactly giving us fresh news, dude. I've talked to similar viewed Filipinos. 

Again, I wouldn't rule out being an expat in the Philippines or Hungary just because I find their leadership nauseating. 

Archived