BANGKOK 21 April 2019 03:33
Banana7

Retire to Philippines - Forget Thailand

On 2/1/2019 at 4:45 PM, Pilotman said:

regular 'brown outs', poor to none existent 3G in many parts of the country, crumbling infrastructure, a homicidal maniac as a President,  an active drugs mafia, a near Civil War on the southern Islands.  Really?   

The PI is like the US - it all depends where you go.  Baguio City and other parts of Luzon aren't bad.  No, it ain't Thailand.  But if the Thai government is dead-set on pushing out foreigners, the PI is on my list of places reestablish residence.  If life hands you lemons...........

• Like 1

Was there 20 years ago on business (aerospace) my boss at the time fell in love with the lady working at the driving range. Ended

going to the market and going to her house for bbq. Boss paid for the food drinks. 

It was innthe poor poor section of town Manila. Looked like a two car garage a g 12 people lived in it. Three of us Singapore ( he bought 1/2 of JD knocked it back then slept on the sofa until ready

to go.

Boss American played footsie with the lady. I just steady drank beer until we could out of there and watched the rats run around and around on the open beams. 

Only thing boss got is to pay for the food and drinks

Manila looked fairly rough and dangerous then

• Like 1

The best thing about the Philippines is the ability to live there indefinitely on a tourist visa. You only have to leave the country every three years and fly back in and begin the process all over again. You'll pay about fifty bucks every three months to renew. The sanest visa policy in Asia along with Vietnam and Cambodia.

20 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

The best thing about the Philippines is the ability to live there indefinitely on a tourist visa. You only have to leave the country every three years and fly back in and begin the process all over again. You'll pay about fifty bucks every three months to renew. The sanest visa policy in Asia along with Vietnam and Cambodia.

Can you open bank accounts, rent apartments, etc. on that status? Also, keep in mind they could change that at any time. Cambodia seems the easiest now for retirement status anyway, visa-wise, though like Thailand it's annual with no path towards permanent residence. 

After 30+ years in Thailand which I enjoyed tremendously and I have two adult children in Krabi, Bang Lamung just got too crowded and as I have a Filippina wife we moved to our house in the Philippines. After considerable time and paperwork I have a Probationary Residence Card and full PhilHealth benefits. Next year I can apply for full Residency. The food is not as good as Thailand and for sure the fruit selection in Thailand is far superior. As it is a short cheap flight to Thailand, we can go when I feel the urge. As a retired guy the medical coverage and the fact I had a house already paid for in the Philippines made it an easy although sad move for me. There are also places like Angeles City for those who miss the night life.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 2/26/2019 at 4:32 PM, Pilotman said:

Can't say that I recognise that characterisation of Thailand at all.  The road system and 4g/3g and upcoming 5G is far superior to even the UK and the US, outside the big cities.  I have sat on the banks of the Mekong with 5 bar Thai signal strength on my phone, try that on the banks of the Thames in rural Oxfordshire, or the Mississippi. Thailand is a constitutional Monarchy and that makes all the difference to the way that any government here can operate. Immigration rules are a matter for the host country. I have no issue with the rules here. My fibre internet, through ToT is fast enough to run Netflix on 3 devices at once, try that in the PI. All Asian countries are to some extent xenophobic, Thailand is no exception and neither is the PI. Thinking about it, neither is the UK. Too many people posting here seem to think that neighbouring countries to LOS are so much better in ever way; sorry to disappoint, but they are not, bar Singapore and Hong Kong, if you have that kind of money and if you think LOS Immigration law is hard, try those two.  

First off sitting on the banks of the mekong and you get five bars maybe the tower is directly across the river lol.  Thailand's internet is okay but nothing to brag about and ranks far beneath many southeast asian countries.   Are you claiming Thailand has better internet than England or the United States?  Please explain what this is based upon. Pretty much all data runs contrary to this assertion.

And there is little doubt Thailand in many ways is going the route of China in terms of monitoring civilians, open democracy etc.  Sure xenophobia exists elsewhere but to the same degree?  Are you perhaps new to Thailand?

Edited by tlandtday
  • Like 2

Thailand is 21st in the world for internet speed.

The Philippines is 100th.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Internet_connection_speeds

Two reasons why I will never live in the Philippines.

1. When you walk down the street with a local women, the men are whispering constant insults to the woman and only to the woman (usually about your dick size). That woman could be your wife, or your lawyer. Watch the woman turn red and pick up their walking speed. Thai men have the good manners to keep their mouths shut, though, you could get a dirty look at worst.

2. The food is so bad, it's vomit worthy.

2 hours ago, tlandtday said:

First off sitting on the banks of the mekong and you get five bars maybe the tower is directly across the river lol.  Thailand's internet is okay but nothing to brag about and ranks far beneath many southeast asian countries.   Are you claiming Thailand has better internet than England or the United States?  Please explain what this is based upon. Pretty much all data runs contrary to this assertion.

And there is little doubt Thailand in many ways is going the route of China in terms of monitoring civilians, open democracy etc.  Sure xenophobia exists elsewhere but to the same degree?  Are you perhaps new to Thailand?

I lived in the South East of the UK, its economic power house.  My internet was not as fast or reliable as the one I have now from TOT and it was a lot more expensive, 3 times the cost. No, not at all new to Thailand. I just know the country  very well and I see the things that mark it out as a much better place to live than the UK at least.  

P.S sitting on the Mekong, why would Thailand have a mast on the Laos side? 

40 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

2. The food is so bad, it's vomit worthy.

boiled fish heads

Posted (edited)

One enormous factor against retiring in Thailand is the new cyber law which effectively allows "Thai Officials" to do anything they want on the internet including copying and snooping on anything you do on the internet and any device connected to the internet. This includes your banking, stock market trades, personal private communications without any judicial oversight or permission. See details here:

Edited by Banana7

At least they have good wifi

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

It's one of two destinations I have in mind if the whole thing falls through. The other is Vietnam, although that option would be more difficult because of language issues. Those are my "plans B and C".

2 hours ago, Banana7 said:

effectively allows "Thai Officials" to do anything they want on the internet including copying and snooping on anything you do on the internet and any device connected to the internet. This includes your banking, stock market trades, personal private communications without any judicial oversight or permission.

Hogwash ......  I'm not buying your comment.

• Like 1