Bus and pickup truck drivers fined for exhaust pollution

snoop1130

Bus and pickup truck drivers fined for exhaust pollution

By Jessada Chantharak 
The Nation

e7ed5032bc35362d125dbd78b85e77bb.jpeg

Traffic police fined the drivers of a city bus and a pickup truck that spewed black exhaust smoke on Bangkok's Phitsanulok Road on Friday.

The two vehicles were also banned from roads for 30 days and ordered to get repaired during that time, said city police deputy chief for traffic Pol Maj-General Jirasan Kaewsaeng-ek. 

Jirasan led officers to detect exhaust-spewing vehicles in the area near the Education Ministry head office, to tackle traffic pollution.

The Route No 23 (Thewet-Samrong) spewed 71 per cent black smoke while the pick-up spewed 100 per cent black smoke, well beyond the legal limit of 45 per cent. 

The unnamed pick-up driver was fined Bt1,000 and threatened with a  Bt5,000 fine if the driver repeated the offence, while the bus driver faced a smaller fine reportedly based on the percentage of exhaust fumes.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30363356

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-02-01

42 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

The Route No 23 (Thewet-Samrong) spewed 71 per cent black smoke while the pick-up spewed 100 per cent black smoke, well beyond the legal limit of 45 per cent. 

I don't know how the detection process works, but reading the above, it leaves me with the impression when stating a percentage of 'black smoke' they must be checking it against a colour chart?

Or has it been simplified for the readership?

What is the standard that should be checked against? Doesn't involve checking the amount of certain noxious emissions somehow - surely it can't be only a 'percentage of black smoke' - or am I giving too much credit to the police on this?

21 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I don't know how the detection process works, but reading the above, it leaves me with the impression when stating a percentage of 'black smoke' they must be checking it against a colour chart?

What is the standard that should be checked against? Doesn't involve checking the amount of certain noxious emissions somehow - surely it can't be only a 'percentage of black smoke' - or am I giving too much credit to the police on this?

yes you are

And so the ''travelling Road Show '' kicks off , soon to follow ,the awareness and educational campaigns, photo opps and pie charts ...and in the end ....rebooting this corrupt , broken  and entitled country will prove to be impossible,becuase its hard work and takes a ''serious commitment''....easier just to breath poisoned air...

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

the pickups that have had their ECU's modified, usually with exhaust/muffler changed.

Quite easy to spot when on the Sukhumvit, they're the ones that take off at speed and belch the black crap everywhere.

Its about time the law came down on these idiots.

13 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

See that's the problem Thai people don't care about 1000baht fine 

So nothing going to change 

Better traffic police and bigger fines that will be a good start 

And stop burning garbish etc 

Wake up Thailand if you really care about the next generation 

Therein lies the problem Thais don't give a flying <deleted> about tomorrow or the next generation it's all about today. The word tomorrow does not exist in their vocabulary  

13 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Sadly , the next generation is way way beyond the end of the nose foresight they are so fond of.

12 hours ago, VYCM said:

the pickups that have had their ECU's modified, usually with exhaust/muffler changed.

Quite easy to spot when on the Sukhumvit, they're the ones that take off at speed and belch the black crap everywhere.

Are you saying its by design ? I always thought it was lack of maintenance. They should just ban all pickups from entering BKK if they are diesel engines. I still don't get it why they let these big diesel pickups in a city. They are obviously more polluting then normal smaller cars. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:
12 hours ago, VYCM said:

Are you saying its by design ? I always thought it was lack of maintenance. They should just ban all pickups from entering BKK if they are diesel engines. I still don't get it why they let these big diesel pickups in a city. They are obviously more polluting then normal smaller cars. 

The idiots have their ECU remapped, it improves horsepower by allowing more fuel into the system, the system cant burn all the fuel efficiently which is why the black crap is expelled.

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

I always thought it was lack of maintenance

Many of these vehicles are new

I have noticed some minivans (Hiace/Urvans etc.) are also being modified, anything Diesel powered.

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

while the bus driver faced a smaller fine reportedly based on the percentage of exhaust fumes.

While it is good to see something being done, however miniscule, why are they fining the driver of the bus. Knowing the lack of worker rights here the driver maybe had no choice but to drive the vehicle. Should it not be the company that owns the bus, whoever they may be, that should be fined, and fined heavily....or am I wrong and these buses are owner operated individually ?

1 hour ago, a977 said:

Therein lies the problem Thais don't give a flying <deleted> about tomorrow or the next generation it's all about today. The word tomorrow does not exist in their vocabulary  

'tell you what....

Walk out the door every morning for 3 months straight with only 50 baht of spending money in your pocket and see where your priorities lie.  Because that's about what a Thai person making 300 baht a day has for discretionary money to buy their lunch and any other niceties. 

Then imagine that you'd have to live on that for the rest of your life.

To me, it's no wonder many of them are wound pretty tightly...  And don't really focus beyond the short term, or getting their diesel engine rebuilt.  They can't.  They're focusing on their next meal.

And to the guy who will inevitably come back and say "but the 300 baht workers don't drive trucks..."  Use the number you think is valid, and do that for 90 days straight.  I doubt many of us could.

14 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Then start doing something about the industry, electricity generating, mining and aeroplanes, for example, which are spewing 95% of the filth into the air, traffic in petrol and diesel form takes 5% of the blame, country wide that is. 

The crazy blaming of diesel engines is a fad, the world can not do without diesel engines.

Although diesel engines can be cleaned up more.

The unnamed pick-up driver was fined Bt1,000 and threatened with a  Bt5,000 fine if the driver repeated the offence, while the bus driver faced a smaller fine reportedly based on the percentage of exhaust fumes. 

OK lads which way did he go? Its a good job no vaping ecigs were found or the fine would have been 100,000 Bt and up to a 10 stretch ????

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Fined them but let them drive away........? Should have had them towed away

That is the correct answer , instead they are driven away emitting more pollution  to be repaired in a given time , supposedly  .

Vehicles should be towed away to be repaired by a police approved vehicle engineers . The cost of the repairs plus a fine to be paid before the vehicle is returned . If not settled within  one month the vehicle is sent to the auction house .

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

well beyond the legal limit of 45 per cent. 

1. Thailand has a legal limit that allows 45 percent black smoke from exhaust???

:1zgarz5:

2. OK, City of 13 million or so people. Police fine ONE vehicle and ONE bus for exhaust violations.  Good day's work for 4+ officers.... Smog problem solved!!!!

:w00t:

19 hours ago, bluesofa said:

45% for Christ's sake!!! That is OK???? And they wonder why they have problems????????????

7 hours ago, a977 said:

It actually does when you ask them to do something for you, they say tomorrow .thats thai style, if cannot make it today ,don't worry we will do it tomorrow .

6 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Fined them but let them drive away........? Should have had them towed away

Thats the only solution . And let them pick it up again when the problem is fixed, so maybe time to open a garage fixing all these cars . There are somethings like exhaust with filter in it . Maybe start importing them and let the government make it a law to have them on your car .

6 hours ago, impulse said:

'tell you what....

Walk out the door every morning for 3 months straight with only 50 baht of spending money in your pocket and see where your priorities lie.  Because that's about what a Thai person making 300 baht a day has for discretionary money to buy their lunch and any other niceties. 

Then imagine that you'd have to live on that for the rest of your life.

To me, it's no wonder many of them are wound pretty tightly...  And don't really focus beyond the short term, or getting their diesel engine rebuilt.  They can't.  They're focusing on their next meal.

And to the guy who will inevitably come back and say "but the 300 baht workers don't drive trucks..."  Use the number you think is valid, and do that for 90 days straight.  I doubt many of us could.

I understand what you are saying but, we have millions of thais who may find your post insulting . they work for less and don't shove thick black smoke into the place they love...Ethics .respect and doing the right thing...it can be done for less than 300bt /day OR....sell your smart phones !!!

7 hours ago, robblok said:

Not if they Tuned to factory specs, Than they  Don't Smoke at all. 

Archived