Bus and pickup truck drivers fined for exhaust pollution

snoop1130

22 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Bus and pickup truck drivers fined for exhaust pollution

This does nothing to solve the pollution problem.  It just add to the RTP money coffers.  Which is exactly why the pollution problem will never be solved. 

On 2/1/2019 at 5:00 PM, snoop1130 said:

The unnamed pick-up driver was fined Bt1,000 and threatened with a  Bt5,000 fine if the driver repeated the offence, while the bus driver faced a smaller fine reportedly based on the percentage of exhaust fumes.

Monty Python !

6 hours ago, mok199 said:
12 hours ago, impulse said:

'tell you what....

Walk out the door every morning for 3 months straight with only 50 baht of spending money in your pocket and see where your priorities lie.  Because that's about what a Thai person making 300 baht a day has for discretionary money to buy their lunch and any other niceties. 

Then imagine that you'd have to live on that for the rest of your life.

To me, it's no wonder many of them are wound pretty tightly...  And don't really focus beyond the short term, or getting their diesel engine rebuilt.  They can't.  They're focusing on their next meal.

And to the guy who will inevitably come back and say "but the 300 baht workers don't drive trucks..."  Use the number you think is valid, and do that for 90 days straight.  I doubt many of us could.

I understand what you are saying but, we have millions of thais who may find your post insulting . they work for less and don't shove thick black smoke into the place they love...Ethics .respect and doing the right thing...it can be done for less than 300bt /day OR....sell your smart phones !!!

Not nearly as insulting as the post I was responding to...

Therein lies the problem Thais don't give a flying <deleted> about tomorrow or the next generation it's all about today. The word tomorrow does not exist in their vocabulary  

Judging the culture of a developing economy by the affluent standards where we grew up isn't fair, and it isn't reasonable. 

Edit:  To be honest, I don't mind seeing a little bit of smoke from an old beater pickup knowing that cheap 4 wheel transport got a few locals off the 2 wheel death traps that kill 20-40x as many of them per km driven as a 4 wheeler.  One step at a time.  That's how our countries developed.

On 2/2/2019 at 5:21 AM, AhFarangJa said:

While it is good to see something being done, however miniscule, why are they fining the driver of the bus. Knowing the lack of worker rights here the driver maybe had no choice but to drive the vehicle. Should it not be the company that owns the bus, whoever they may be, that should be fined, and fined heavily....or am I wrong and these buses are owner operated individually ?

Agreed... It seems extremely harsh to fine the driver of a public vehicle - Public busses are some of the worst polluters, they have been for years... 

The Owners of the Public busses and Company Trucks are the ones who need to be hit hard with fines - 10,000 baht per vehicle...  Make them make a difference... 

And... 

The unnamed pick-up driver was fined Bt1,000 and threatened with a  Bt5,000 fine if the driver repeated the offence, while the bus driver faced a smaller fine reportedly based on the percentage of exhaust fumes. 

What a farce... how will the BiB ever know that its a repeated offense??? - Charge 5000 baht (for privately owned pickups)... or confiscate the vehicle... A hard line will make a difference... baby steps will see no one concerned enough to remove their ECU mods... 

Archived