How are westerners working in clubs in Thailand?

Most of them foreigners on the islands working in bars/clubs do not have a work permit.

But if you play in a band or maybe DJ you can get a permit, but  would think it would cost you. I think most of them are working illegally. 

Hard to believe that foreign singers/performers on Pattaya WS work illegally.

You might hide out on some remote island but not on WS or the like.

Or is my believe not strong enough?

Work permits (usually temporary) for "performers" are issued in other countries too.

Otherwise you couldn't even see a live concert of foreign artists.

Just browsed over the list of forbidden jobs and can't find something that would forbid music performance/DJ work in general. Of course still a WP is needed.

Bar manager (popular foreigners job in Pattaya) is also not on the list.

Just don't clean a table or serve a beer to a client.

Just sit and command :biggrin:

6 minutes ago, PaulDee said:

And I've seen many Western ladies "pulling" customers

into bars along Walking Street...not to mention their

dancing in windows, on stage and--dare I say--maybe

in private!

Also artistic performance :biggrin:

And as prostitution is forbidden in Thailand they can't be in competition to locals.:whistling:

44 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Funny you should ask. I've moved back to Jomtien recently, seen some young Farang men "pulling" customers to go into the bar where they are "working".

Reminded me of my times in Torrimolinos (Spain).

Yea.. on walking street last night i was approached several times by foreigners trying to pull me into the bars with sex shows. They must ne working illegally and taking thai jobs away. But i am certain this is happening with the knowledge of the police and authorities. They are doing right in front of them

8 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

Yea.. on walking street last night i was approached several times by foreigners trying to pull me into the bars with sex shows. They must ne working illegally and taking thai jobs away. But i am certain this is happening with the knowledge of the police and authorities. They are doing right in front of them

Were they females or annoying males?

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Funny you should ask. I've moved back to Jomtien recently, seen some young Farang men "pulling" customers to go into the bar where they are "working".

Reminded me of my times in Torrimolinos (Spain).

that was long long time ago.... been there done that in Torremolinos and Marbella

See plenty of them, foreign DJs, where I live, named and advertised, some very well known that can fill a venue with entrance paying guests. Foreign DJ's of course has a work permit, just like any other famous foreign artist performing in Thailand, what else..?????

If they are just visiting DJs it would be OK according to the latest law change, although it's still unclear how it'd be enforced. 

"The changes were introduced on March 27, 2018, when the Emergency Decree on Non-Thais’ Working Management (No.2) (2018) (“Decree No. 2”) was issued. Decree No. 2 amended Decree No. 1.

According to Decree No 2:

A. The following non-Thais can carry out certain activities in Thailand without a work permit:

(1) *a non-Thai who comes to Thailand on a short-term periodic basis to: hold or to attend a meeting, lecture, seminar, training, exhibition of art or culture, or sports competition; provide an opinion; inspect work of others; or, any other activities, as prescribed by the Council of Ministers.*

(2) a non-Thai who enters into Thailand to: operate a business; make an investment; or who has knowledge, ability, or skills that are considered beneficial to the development of the country;

(3) a non-Thai legal representative (e.g. director) of an alien juristic person that is licensed to operate business under the Foreign Business Act (1999);

Decree No 2 also reveals that work permit applications can now be filed electronically.

It should be noted that for all other instances foreigners still need a work permit to work legally in Thailand."

In Bangkok, there are clubs where foreign musicians and DJs without work permits are able to perform because the proprietors of these establishments proffer the requisite brown envelopes.

I suspect the same sort of arrangement exists in other parts of the country.

3 hours ago, recom273 said:

I hear from a friend in Ko Pang Ngan that all foreign DJs working on Island are required to have a work permit.

And they all pay the fees and brown envelopes that goes to corrupted officials. Doesn't make it more legal , but a stamp is a stamp. 

Last Saturday I was at Central Rama 9 and there was like a bakery market thing setup on one of the floors. Each one selling cakes, pastries etc. One of the stalls had a lone farang working there flogging cakes or something which was quite amazing to see. I wish I'd spoken to him in retrospect, or at least bought a cake.

Do see a few western "hostesses" in the dance clubs of BKK like Insanity or Levels....but mainly,  what about all the farang boucers in these dance clubs sporting their secret service type earpieces ?...naturally they do have the appropriate work permits now don't they ? ????

Thais only listen to Morlum and LukTung, so if you know anything about modern music you have a special skill haha.

15 years ago all the DJs in KhaoSan seemed to be farangs, I spoke to a few and they were all being paid cash in hand.

But bouncers and "hostesses" - no way have they got work permits.

Archived