Democrat Elizabeth Warren apologies to Cherokee Nation for DNA test

rooster59

Democrat Elizabeth Warren apologies to Cherokee Nation for DNA test

By John Whitesides

800x800 (5).jpg

FILE PHOTO: Potential 2020 Democratic presidential candidate U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) speaks at a house party in Concord, New Hampshire, U.S., January 12, 2019. REUTERS/Brian Snyder

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democratic presidential contender Elizabeth Warren has apologised to the Cherokee Nation for taking a DNA test in a widely criticized effort to prove her claims to Native American ancestry, the tribe said on Friday.

Warren, a U.S. senator from Massachusetts, called Bill John Baker, the principal chief of the Cherokee Nation, on Thursday to apologise for taking the DNA test last year, said Julie Hubbard, a Cherokee Nation spokeswoman.

"It was a brief and private conversation but I understand that she did apologise for causing confusion on tribal sovereignty and tribal citizenship and the harm that has resulted," Hubbard said in a statement.

The chief and other tribal leaders appreciate that Warren "reaffirmed she is not a Cherokee Nation citizen - or a citizen of any tribal nation," Hubbard said.

A Warren spokeswoman did not respond to a request for comment.

Warren angered tribal leaders and some of her fellow Democrats when she decided to take the test to put to rest criticism from Republicans of her ancestry claims.

The most notable critic has been Republican President Donald Trump, who frequently belittles Warren by calling her "Pocahontas."

The results found Warren had at least one Native American ancestor many generations ago. But Native American leaders criticized Warren for using a DNA test to lay claim to even a vague connection to a tribal nation, saying culture and sovereignty were just as important as blood and the tests did not confer the rights of tribal citizenship.

Democrats feared Warren was playing into the hands of Trump and other Republicans by engaging them on the issue.

Warren has created an exploratory committee to begin raising money and hiring staff for a run at the Democratic presidential nomination in 2020. She is expected to formally launch her campaign later this month.

At a campaign stop in Sioux City, Iowa, last month, Warren told a voter who expressed concern about the decision that given the political attacks, she had decided "to put it all out there."

"I am not a person of colour. I am not a citizen of a tribe. Tribal citizenship is very different from ancestry. Tribes, and only tribes, determine tribal citizenship, and I respect that difference," Warren said.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-02-02

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

..and that's the end of that wannabee election campaign...

Bizarre stuff.

*Disclaimer:I am not American or right wing-Just commenting on the bizarre nature of the claims.

Yeah you don't have to be on the right to see she is singing loony tunes. Watch as things progress this is just the tip of the iceberg of the cream of the crop the dems have to offer. We really need an independent yesterday.

She’s apologised for taking the DNA test, not for her ancestory claim.

She has never claimed to be Cherokee or a citizen of any Native American Nation.

She, like me and I suspect most TVF members claims ancestors of different nationality/ethnicity without claiming to be any of those nationalities/ethnicities.

And she apologised for causing offence.

That’s new.

14 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

She has never claimed to be Cherokee or a citizen of any Native American Nation.

She, like me and I suspect most TVF members claims ancestors of different nationality/ethnicity without claiming to be any of those nationalities/ethnicities.

That’s new.

Spoken like a true politician.........

Elizabeth Warren would be an infinitely better president than the current occupant of the White House.

Joseph de Maistre stated; "Every nation gets the government it deserves".

Judging from some of the comments here, I'd say he was right.

The DNA test is a non-issue. If that sinks her candidacy, then how got Trump ever elected?? Breathtakingly double standards.....

1 hour ago, Cryingdick said:

Talk about egg on the face. She should just drop out of the race right now before it gets uglier. She doesn't have a chance in hell. 

How about other candidates who have "egg on their face", should they drop out of the race too?

5 minutes ago, attrayant said:

How about other candidates who have "egg on their face", should they drop out of the race too?

Well..I've got  a French grandmere..queue paper trail,photos,etc..

She spoke spoke French...she swore in French and smoked Gaulois..

Therefore I concluded (at quite a young age) that she was French otherwise she would have been a very strange duck..

Odd,no?

56 minutes ago, Denim said:

I think this is her prefered listening right now :

Oh, we can perhaps go back further than that, and it has about as much relevance -

"First Americans may have been Neanderthals 130,000 years ago"

"70% of Europeans possess the Neanderthal gene"

(somewhere on the Net)

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

That’s new.

That's what makes it all the more shameful. She was Indian at Harvard. Anyway it doesn't matter now because nobody is eating her pow wow chow. 

45 minutes ago, attrayant said:

Are you so naive that you don't see this is the end for Warren? If it was up to me to actually decide none of these people would qualify. I would run unopposed.

1 hour ago, newnative said:

I fail to see what the big deal is.  She's always claimed she has some native American ancestry and the DNA test proved it.

Surely you jest ?? The DNA test revealed that she could have 1/1024th "Native American" ancestry, which is actually LESS than the average American.  So in your mind that makes her right ??  Wow.....

And another thing... there is no such thing as "the popular vote"  in American elections. The electoral college system has been in place since the start of the 19th century. The fact that you said "our" in your post implies you are American, so you should understand this better than most.

1 hour ago, newnative said:

The Republicans are clutching at anything,

If you take the time to read the article, if you (and other lefties) can read, you will see that it is the Cherokee Nation that has taken offence at her claims, not the Republican Party. Clutching at straws much?

1 hour ago, UnkleGoooose said:

If you take the time to read the article, if you (and other lefties) can read, you will see that it is the Cherokee Nation that has taken offence at her claims, not the Republican Party. Clutching at straws much?

Guess you are conveniently forgetting our Electoral College selected President's Pocahontas digs, which set the whole ridiculous thing off in the first place.  If I was a native American I would be more offended by that.  And, I doubt it is 'the Cherokee Nation' that is offended, rather just some members.  (These days, a few people twitter about something and suddenly it's a cause celebre.)

But, as I said, this, apparently, is all the Republicans can come up with.  Thin gruel indeed.  Methinks they might be a bit worried about Senator Warren's startling, revolutionary plan to, umm, tax the rich their fair share.  

1 hour ago, 348GTS said:

Surely you jest ?? The DNA test revealed that she could have 1/1024th "Native American" ancestry, which is actually LESS than the average American.  So in your mind that makes her right ??  Wow.....

And another thing... there is no such thing as "the popular vote"  in American elections. The electoral college system has been in place since the start of the 19th century. The fact that you said "our" in your post implies you are American, so you should understand this better than most.

The fact that she has some native American ancestry makes her right.  But, as I said, the Republicans, and especially our Electoral College-selected President, have been using this tempest in a teapot because they seem to be unable to come up with anything else.  It's all really ridiculous when you compare it to all of Trump's countless false claims and outright lies.  

Yes, I know how the cursed Electoral College works and why we still have it in the 21st century and not election by popular vote is a mystery to me.  Thank you, cursed Electoral College, for giving America George W. Bush and now Donald Trump.  It bears remembering that Clinton won nearly 3 million more votes than Trump.

7 minutes ago, newnative said:

The fact that she has some native American ancestry makes her right.  But, as I said, the Republicans, and especially our Electoral College-selected President, have been using this tempest in a teapot because they seem to be unable to come up with anything else.  It's all really ridiculous when you compare it to all of Trump's countless false claims and outright lies.  

Yes, I know how the cursed Electoral College works and why we still have it in the 21st century and not election by popular vote is a mystery to me.  Thank you, cursed Electoral College, for giving America George W. Bush and now Donald Trump.  It bears remembering that Clinton won nearly 3 million more votes than Trump.

Kind of like the a losing football team claiming, "Yeah, they got more points, but we got more yardage.  We should win."  Had the contest been for the popular vote, most likely Trump would have won because he would have run a different campaign.  He beat the best the Republicans could throw at him and the best of the Democrats.  It is reasonable to assume he would have won another contest where the rules were different.  Complaining about the rules after the fact is ridiculous. 

Back to Senator Warren:

Her specific claims were "having high cheekbones" like her recent Native ancestors. BS

Her parents had to elope because her mother was "Part Cherokee and part Delaware". BS

She submitted (plagiarized) recipes to a book called "Pow Wow Chow", and declared herself as Cherokee in the book.

Ridiculous since the recipes were for such native dishes as "crab omelette". I can just picture the great Cherokee warriors of the plains, courageously hunting

the wily wild crabs of Oklahoma...

Given the DNA results, best case scenario for Warren is that ONE of her great great great great grandparents was Native American from somewhere in North/South America. 

Archived