Democrat Elizabeth Warren apologies to Cherokee Nation for DNA test

rooster59

19 minutes ago, beechguy said:

Well in the article I quoted, Bloomberg says what she is proposing is unconstitutional, and as to wealth redistribution, he says look at Venezuela. Don't agree with the guy's politics much, but hard to argue with him on these points.

Bottom line to the Warren, Bernie, etc. supporters, there is no such thing as free. If you push the wealthy very much, you will have another France on your hands. People will be parking their money, or border hoping, how long has the cash from Apple and others sat overseas.

Let's continue that discussion in the appropriate on-topic thread once Trump makes public, or is forced to make public, his federal tax returns and the American people learn just how much taxes the great billionaire has really paid over the years.... Not to mention, the taxes he avoided thru dubious schemes in inheriting most of his wealth from his father.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, beechguy said:

Very well, as to policies, plotting to take something that doesn't belong to you, would be called stealing in any other context. Warren is not the only one, but comes across as a thief, and a loser, as does Harris, Booker, Sanders.

Rich pay their fair share? Based on who's opinion, and how much is really fair?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/democrats-tax-plans-reflect-profound-shift-in-public-mood/ar-BBT5Mid?ocid=spartandhp

Well, to start with, how about the rich pay the same percentage in taxes as the average tax payer.  In my opinion they should pay far more after they reach a certain wealth point but even just paying the same percentage seems 'fair'.  Warren Buffet has pointed out several times that his secretary pays more in taxes percentage-wise than he does.  With the Trump tax cuts, that percentage gap has likely grown.   So, that would be a start.  

13 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Let's continue that discussion in the appropriate on-topic thread once Trump makes public, or is forced to make public, his federal tax returns and the American people learn just how much taxes the great billionaire has really paid over the years.... Not to mention, the taxes he avoided thru dubious schemes in inheriting most of his wealth from his father.

And does it not occur to you, that the IRS already has his records, and if he was doing something illegal they would be all over it.

13 minutes ago, newnative said:

Well, to start with, how about the rich pay the same percentage in taxes as the average tax payer.  In my opinion they should pay far more after they reach a certain wealth point but even just paying the same percentage seems 'fair'.  Warren Buffet has pointed out several times that his secretary pays more in taxes percentage-wise than he does.  With the Trump tax cuts, that percentage gap has likely grown.   So, that would be a start.  

You don't even really know what you're talking about. Which taxes? On salary, Capitol Gains? Stocks and investment profits? Warren Buffet and Trump aren't doing anything the rest of us can't do. Have you created a company to use deductions, depreciation, etc.? Maybe, most are too lazy to do something like that, but not too lazy to be a loser and bitch about some other guy making some money. 

6 minutes ago, beechguy said:

You don't even really know what you're talking about. Which taxes? On salary, Capitol Gains? Stocks and investment profits? Warren Buffet and Trump aren't doing anything the rest of us can't do. Have you created a company to use deductions, depreciation, etc.? Maybe, most are too lazy to do something like that, but not too lazy to be a loser and bitch about some other guy making some money. 

It's really off topic to Warren, and I didn't start us down the road of this diversion. I was talking about Warren and what qualities people ought to focus on in evaluating presidential candidates.

Suggest we keep further posts on topic, or a moderator's going to come along and delete them all.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 1:47 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

She’s apologised for taking the DNA test, not for her ancestory claim.

She has never claimed to be Cherokee or a citizen of any Native American Nation.

She, like me and I suspect most TVF members claims ancestors of different nationality/ethnicity without claiming to be any of those nationalities/ethnicities.

And she apologised for causing offence.

That’s new.

LOL.

IMO she only apologised because she is running for POTUS. She has indeed made herself look a fool given she is as much a Cherokee as I am a Norwegian and I'm sure to have some of that in my DNA given my heritage.

I have 3 predominate genetic ethnicities, but I only claim nationality of the one I have a passport for.

It's luverly that she proved Trump was right to mock her, which must be a bitter pill indeed, but why she even thinks she has a chance to be POTUS is beyond me. Be interesting to see if she can get some rich backers that are also ( IMO ) deluded, as without lotasacash, no one is going anywhere in a US election campaign.

26 minutes ago, DM07 said:

I don't understand, why she apologized?

So she took a DNA- test, to prove, what was contested by other people!

...and?!

Of course someone somewhere was offended by that!

Get a life, people!

She apologised because the Cherokee's were offended that she took it- it's in the OP. They have always denied she was of their people.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

She apologised because the Cherokee's were offended that she took it- it's in the OP. They have always denied she was of their people.

And I said: I don't get it!

First of all: the test only confirmed that she has (a little bit of) Native American -ancestry!

I do not recall any name of tribe being mentioned!

But even if so:

a) why is anyone offended by the taking of said test?

b ) even if someone was offended...that is no reason to run around and give out apologies, left and right!

33 minutes ago, DM07 said:

I don't understand, why she apologized?

So she took a DNA- test, to prove, what was contested by other people!

...and?!

Of course someone somewhere was offended by that!

Get a life, people!

She apologized for herself claiming to be Native American and using that  claim to be a minority for personal gain 

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

She apologized for herself claiming to be Native American and using that  claim to be a minority for personal gain 

Aha....and where did she actually say that?

""I am not a person of colour. I am not a citizen of a tribe. Tribal citizenship is very different from ancestry. Tribes, and only tribes, determine tribal citizenship, and I respect that difference," Warren said."

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I thought that was explained in the OP.

Okay...listen, sweetheart: I can read and I saw, what was in the OP!

Still: I DON'T GET IT!

She didn't claim belonging to any specific tribe!

She claimed Native American -ancestry!

That was disputed!

So she took a test to prove it!

End of!

I am not Native American, so I guess, I don't see the significance here!

I don't understand, why anybody cares!

I don't know, why everybody is so buthurt about these things!

And I don't understand, why nowadays, you have to say "sorry" for every little thing, because some tribes member, religious person, sexually whatever orientated person...feels personally attacked by EVERYTHING!

17 minutes ago, DM07 said:

Aha....and where did she actually say that?

""I am not a person of colour. I am not a citizen of a tribe. Tribal citizenship is very different from ancestry. Tribes, and only tribes, determine tribal citizenship, and I respect that difference," Warren said."

We are talking about what She had previously claimed , NOT what she said AFTER the test had been taken .

She spent her whole life pretending to be Native American to further her career and that must be rather embarrassing for real American Indians .

*I'm a minority ,  I deserve special treatment *

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

We are talking about what She had previously claimed , NOT what she said AFTER the test had been taken .

She spent her whole life pretending to be Native American to further her career and that must be rather embarrassing for real American Indians .

I still have to see evidence, that she ever used her ancestry, to gain any advantages.

In fact, many have come out in her defense, stating she never did that! 

24 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Entirely untrue.  It's against forum rules to post false information.

Just now, Slip said:

Entirely untrue.  It's against forum rules to post false information.

She published a cook book , where she described herself as "Cherokee" , that is indeed using her claims to be Cherokee for personal gain and She also claimed to be Cherokee in College to appear to be diverse 

Just now, sanemax said:

No, she has not pretended anything, she told the truth, that family stories passed down told her she has a native American ancestor.  Now she has proven that she has been telling the truth the whole time, so why exactly is that embaressing to anyone apart from Trump who bet her a million dollars and just lost?

41 minutes ago, sanemax said:

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

She published a cook book , where she described herself as "Cherokee" , that is indeed using her claims to be Cherokee for personal gain and She also claimed to be Cherokee in College to appear to be diverse 

These things are not the reason that she apologised as is reported in the op.  Give it up while you're behind. 

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Can you not really read or are you purposely misrepresenting what you read?

She did not claim to be Cherokee in college to appear to be diverse, the college used the fact that she is of mixed heritage to make the college appear to be diverse.

She did not publish a cookbook, the Five Civilized Tribes Museum published a coolbook to which she contributed 5 recipes, it was published by the museum and it used her claim to being Cherokee for the financial gain of the museum.

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

No, she has not pretended anything, she told the truth, that family stories passed down told her she has a native American ancestor.  Now she has proven that she has been telling the truth the whole time, so why exactly is that embaressing to anyone apart from Trump who bet her a million dollars and just lost?

Gosh, you're not very informed are you? Trump didn't lose anything. If you think that a DNA test that shows a purported result of 0.001% possible Native American heritage equates to "telling the truth the whole time", then I don't know what to tell you... That amount of ancestry is so insignificant, that it is alleged to be less than the amount found in the average American. When someone claims to be "part-Cherokee" and talks about how their mother had to elope due to her father's family "not liking that she was part Cherokee and part Delaware Indian", (which she talked about in her 2012 campaign ad... WHY?), or when that person identifies themselves in the American Law Schools Directory from 1986-1995 as "a minority", or when they are a "minority recipient" of the University of Pennsylvania’s Minority Equity Committee teaching award, or when articles mention them as being "Harvard Laws School's first woman of colour", then you would naturally expect their DNA test to show substantially more than a 1/1024th result based on those types of claims right ?? Surely!! If you did a DNA test and it showed 0.001% Eskimo, would you go round telling everyone you were a minority of Eskimo descent ?? I suspect not...

The issue is that her claims lack any evidence or credibility. She said she self identified as part Cherokee due to "family stories she heard as a kid",  and that her grandfather "had high cheekbones like all the Indians do". When I was a kid I was told that little boys were made out of frogs and snails and puppy dog tails for heavens sake. She was a laughing stock long before Trump started taking jabs at her. The Cherokee nation was enraged by her claims a long time ago already. She just made it worse by doing the test because it basically proved what everyone (apart from her apparently) already knew. Fauxcahonatas indeed.

How are people supposed to take her seriously as a presidential candidate after this major gaffe ?? That is the underlying point here.

3 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

White people stole American Indians land, now She tried to steal their identity . 

For real American Indians , it must be embarrassing for a Causation woman to pretend to be an American Indian to further her career or to make herself appear to be a minority 

3 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Can you not really read or are you purposely misrepresenting what you read?

She did not claim to be Cherokee in college to appear to be diverse, the college used the fact that she is of mixed heritage to make the college appear to be diverse.

She did not publish a cookbook, the Five Civilized Tribes Museum published a coolbook to which she contributed 5 recipes, it was published by the museum and it used her claim to being Cherokee for the financial gain of the museum.

She herself stated that she claimed to be Cherokee at College in order to reap the benefits of being a minority woman 

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

She herself stated that she claimed to be Cherokee at College in order to reap the benefits of being a minority woman 

Please provide a citation, all I can see is a study demonstrating the opposite.  What benefits do you think she reaped?

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

White people stole American Indians land, now She tried to steal their identity . 

For real American Indians , it must be embarrassing for a Causation woman to pretend to be an American Indian to further her career or to make herself appear to be a minority 

She never claimed to be a minority, you are just making things up, she claimed what the DNA test has proven, that her family stories were true and she does have native American ancestry.

6 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

She never claimed to be a minority, you are just making things up, she claimed what the DNA test has proven, that her family stories were true and she does have native American ancestry.

She stated that She was ethnic Cherokee on the college forms and as far as I am aware , Cherokee is regarded as being an ethnic minority

4 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

I have Pomeranian ancestry but I am not a Pomeranian nor have I claimed to be Pomeranian through stating that I have Pomeranian ancestry, is that difficult for you to understand?

Nope, lost me.

I like poodles myself.

1 hour ago, 348GTS said:

Gosh, you're not very informed are you? Trump didn't lose anything. If you think that a DNA test that shows a purported result of 0.001% possible Native American heritage equates to "telling the truth the whole time", then I don't know what to tell you... That amount of ancestry is so insignificant, that it is alleged to be less than the amount found in the average American. When someone claims to be "part-Cherokee" and talks about how their mother had to elope due to her father's family "not liking that she was part Cherokee and part Delaware Indian", (which she talked about in her 2012 campaign ad... WHY?), or when that person identifies themselves in the American Law Schools Directory from 1986-1995 as "a minority", or when they are a "minority recipient" of the University of Pennsylvania’s Minority Equity Committee teaching award, or when articles mention them as being "Harvard Laws School's first woman of colour", then you would naturally expect their DNA test to show substantially more than a 1/1024th result based on those types of claims right ?? Surely!! If you did a DNA test and it showed 0.001% Eskimo, would you go round telling everyone you were a minority of Eskimo descent ?? I suspect not...

The issue is that her claims lack any evidence or credibility. She said she self identified as part Cherokee due to "family stories she heard as a kid",  and that her grandfather "had high cheekbones like all the Indians do". When I was a kid I was told that little boys were made out of frogs and snails and puppy dog tails for heavens sake. She was a laughing stock long before Trump started taking jabs at her. The Cherokee nation was enraged by her claims a long time ago already. She just made it worse by doing the test because it basically proved what everyone (apart from her apparently) already knew. Fauxcahonatas indeed.

How are people supposed to take her seriously as a presidential candidate after this major gaffe ?? That is the underlying point here.

Purported result of 0.001%, really?  Suggested its less than the average American?  And you were saying something about being poorly informed, LMAO!  I suggest you read again instead of just blindly repeating the first article you came across.

Archived