So here is the new "Affordable Food" menu announced by AOT

bubba

For some reason, with all the publicity and hype about this new "Affordable Food" scheme, AOT have not publicised the link to the menus, but rather advised passengers to pick up a copy at the airport or scan the QR cade after you get there. So, that's what I did, and I saved the link.

The price categories are 'Save' at 50 baht, 'Budget' 125 baht and 'Value' 280 baht.

Let's see what kind of nothingburger you can get for 50 baht. Many vendors are offering a pot of hot tea or cup of iced tea for the bargain price of 50 baht as their 'Save' affordable meal offering. That should really fill you up. A few are offering a scoop of fried rice or noodles. Many do not offer a 50 baht option at all. 

So let's say you want a proper meal under the "Affordable Food" scheme for the "value" price of 280 baht. How about a tuna sandwich and some iced tea at only 280 baht? Noodle soup, french fries and a coke for 280 baht? Ham and cheese sandwich? Cheese pretzel, sausage pretzel and a cup of lemonade can also be had for the value price of 280 baht. Chicken fried rice and lemon juice maybe? Only 280 baht. Ciabatta ham and cheese sandwich and a cup of coffee?

Or maybe something lighter from the "budget" category of 125 baht like two donuts and a cup of coffee or three cookies and a can of coke for only 125 baht? A plate of vegetarian pad thai?

I never eat at any of those crowded and expensive places anyway, but are these prices actually less expensive that before? Looks to me like this is all just a thinly veiled PR stunt.

Here is the link to save you the effort of looking for it at the airport:

https://airportthai.co.th/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/The-Suvarnabhumi-food-guide-PDF_resize2.pdf

The costs of meals & snacks at a Thai airport  are far more affordable for westerners and North Asians, than those at western and North Asian airports.  The incessant  complaining is obnoxious and unreasonable. 

How many times does it have to be explained to these complainers that the costs of operating at an airport are much higher than those of operating in a high density urban  zone, like a shopping mall. It is difficult to get staff to commute to an airport location and it is expensive and time consuming  for the staff to get there. The rent is higher and it costs more for supplies because the storage spaces are smaller necessitating more frequent deliveries, which in turn drives up the cost of goods.  The rent is higher because the rent is used to cover  some of the costs of  the airport operation. 

BKK airport doesn't have a problem with affordability. Rather, it needs more restaurants. Unfortunately, the costs for quality restaurants are so high, that it is unprofitable to operate. If westerners can't afford the plate of chicken  at 350 baht, they should not be flying to Thailand or anywhere else for that matter.

25 minutes ago, orchis said:

there s a foodcourt, moan on.

No moaning intended. The point is that TOT had a big PR event announcing an "Affordable Food" scheme with 'Save' selections at 50 baht, and in many cases that is just a plastic cup of iced tea. They then went on to offer the "Affordable Food" details and menu only at the airport. Everybody knows that airport food is expensive almost everywhere, but this "Affordable Food" scheme is just dishonest hype.

Last time I visited the food court, there were three tour buses of mainland Chinese tourists who had been handed coupons for the food court and it was impossible to even squeeze my way up to any of the vendors. So there's that.

I guess the poster has never been anywhere else, and rather typical of the Thai bashers. They complain about everything ad nauseum. They put off other readers and I can't understand why Thai Visa publishes them.

21 minutes ago, gamini said:

I guess the poster has never been anywhere else, and rather typical of the Thai bashers. They complain about everything ad nauseum. They put off other readers and I can't understand why Thai Visa publishes them.

To the contrary, I have been many places and many airports. Airport meals are almost universally overpriced; however, BKK is the first airport I have encountered that puts on a big PR event to promote "Affordable Food" with "Save" meal options such as a cup of iced tea for 50 baht or a "Value" meal option such as a tuna sandwich for 280 baht.

Archived