Who pays the monthly condo dues ... landlord or tenant?

Who pays the monthly condo dues with rental leases in Bangkok ... landlord or tenant?

Is it usually the tenant who pays... or the landlords responsibility... or is it commonly negotiated before the rental lease is signed? Or simply built into the rental price? Any helpful info appreciated.

I've come across just one or two condos where the advertised rental price also mentioned "plus common fees". To me it seems to be just a way of getting more than the advertised rent, so as to trap the unwary.

It would be particularly galling to rent a unit that way and then find that the building intends to impose some huge one-off charge to top up the sinking fund or to buy new elevators or something. A landlord would probably know that was on the cards but a new tenant is very unlikely to know it until the bill arrives.

may be repetitive but it's the owner/landlord responsibility to pay for the monthly fees UNLESS otherwise clearly indicated and agreed upon when signing rental contract agreement and fees can be negotiated (who pays for water, electricity/gas, cleaning and so forth)

On 2/2/2019 at 9:58 AM, KittenKong said:

I've come across just one or two condos where the advertised rental price also mentioned "plus common fees". To me it seems to be just a way of getting more than the advertised rent, so as to trap the unwary.

It would be particularly galling to rent a unit that way and then find that the building intends to impose some huge one-off charge to top up the sinking fund or to buy new elevators or something. A landlord would probably know that was on the cards but a new tenant is very unlikely to know it until the bill arrives.

Agreed, so one possibility is for the rental agreement to state the 'tenant is responsible for the standard monthly maintenance fees covering: security guards, maids, costs of lighting of common areas, but no other charges.' 

That also means of course that the prospective tenant should ask for a copy of a very recent monthly maintenance bill to check exactly what items are on the standard monthly maintenance bill and also see some Baht numbers.

On 2/2/2019 at 8:37 AM, Ganador said:

Who pays the monthly condo dues with rental leases in Bangkok ... landlord or tenant?

Is it usually the tenant who pays... or the landlords responsibility... or is it commonly negotiated before the rental lease is signed? Or simply built into the rental price? Any helpful info appreciated.

Landlord.  Mine owes 42,000 at the moment and I only pay 8,000 a month rent.

On 2/3/2019 at 10:24 AM, fred110 said:

Where i live the tenant pays because they use the pool, get halls cleaned, have guards, etc.

May be true, but you are getting ripped off................the house owner is responsible to the Mgt to pay the Condo fees...........if you sign a contract saying you will pay, you are being duped.........I would be curious as to how many renters are paying 'condo maintenance fees' and how much.  example, mine is based on my apartment size per year  so mine is 33 baht sq meter, about 16,500  baht per year.   Me thinks its just another way to get money from you that he is responsible to pay the mgt...............doesn't matter who is using the pool, what if the apartment is empty 6 months a year, then a renter comes in, who paid the condo fees before he/she arrived.  Read your contract carefully and ask the Mgt who pays the condo fees, and how much is it.

2 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

May be true, but you are getting ripped off................the house owner is responsible to the Mgt to pay the Condo fees...........if you sign a contract saying you will pay, you are being duped.........I would be curious as to how many renters are paying 'condo maintenance fees' and how much.  example, mine is based on my apartment size per year  so mine is 33 baht sq meter, about 16,500  baht per year.   Me thinks its just another way to get money from you that he is responsible to pay the mgt...............doesn't matter who is using the pool, what if the apartment is empty 6 months a year, then a renter comes in, who paid the condo fees before he/she arrived.  Read your contract carefully and ask the Mgt who pays the condo fees, and how much is it.

Im an owner and i would never rent my place out to farang. The fee here is only 300 baht.

16 minutes ago, fred110 said:

Im an owner and i would never rent my place out to farang. The fee here is only 300 baht.

Neither would I - Our compound has 4 buildings, (sixteen elevators) six swimming pools, large garden area, garbage pickup twice a week - one of the first large complexes to go up in Jom Tien, Pattaya.........it is meticulously maintained, cracking down on short term renters, 24 hrs security and on premisis mgt 24/7...........couldn't ask for anything better after reading some of the horror stories here.  We get what we pay for.   :wai:

A difference between who writes the check and who pays.  Customer in the end always pays.  Just like people in USA who say businesses pay taxes.  No they write the check but their customer ultimately pays since whatever tax is imposed on the business is ultimately  inbedded in the price of the businesses product or service. 

18 hours ago, madmen said:

Anybody with half a brain would be aware that common area fees are not paid by the renter

However this is thailand and a fool and their money soon parted

Slow down, this item can well be country by county, building by building, landlord by landlord, anywhere.

1 hour ago, fred110 said:

What fee?

But I take your point about not renting to a farang, I had several really bad experiences renting a luxury house on Jomtien beach to farang tenants.

The fixed cost are the responsibility of the owner and are built in to the rent.  consumables such as Electricity and water are determined  by the user and as such it is the responsibility of the tenant.  The tenant does not directly pay for the costs associated with the building or the investment finances..  

Archived