BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rooster59

Norwegian left "speechless" after Chiang Mai immigration sing Happy Birthday, present cake to retiree

Norwegian left "speechless" after Chiang Mai immigration sing Happy Birthday, present cake to retiree

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTUzMy83NjY1NDI2L2FkYXNmLmpwZw==.jpg

Image: Sanook

Sanook said that a Norwegian who arrived at Chiang Mai immigration to renew his retirement visa was left speechless after staff sang Happy Birthday and presented a cake with candles. 

"Mr John", aged 64, didn't know what to say - Sanook just suggested that he was overcome with joy and happiness at the consideration shown by the wonderful officials. He had arrived with his Thai wife.

Deputy at Region 4 immigration Pol Col Phallop Suriyakun said it was all part of Lt-Gen Surachate "Big Joke" Hakparn's policy to impress visitors to immigration. 

He said that immigration knows your birthday and if it falls on the day of a visa extension you can expect an announcement over the loudspeaker. The ladies will do the rest with singing happy birthday and a cake. 

Apparently it wasn't Mr John's actual birthday - but it was near enough.

Sanook called it a "new dimension" in service from the immigration department. 

Thaivisa notes that it came at the end of a week when immigration has faced a fair degree of criticism for taking a new tack on the financial rules associated with retirement extensions. 

Also, posters on Thaivisa have been critical of Chiang Mai immigration in the past though since Big Joke's high profile appointment last year many have reported an improvement there. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-02

I am beginning to think that all of immigration are as mad as a box of frogs. Nice enough gesture, but really? 

Just now, BestB said:

But was his extension granted?😜😉😂

It's the gesture that counts , not the extension.

I must say that all those female immigration officers look rather 'vicious' 🙂

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

I am beginning to think that all of immigration are as mad as a box of frogs. Nice enough gesture, but really? 

What we see as "irrational behaviour" here is sometimes driven by the relationship between a subordinate and their boss. This relationship is opaque and has very considerable vertical distance in Thailand. That is to say the boss can drastically affect the subordinate's lives either positively or negatively. It is something along the lines of a medieval lord and his serfs.

This birthday cake stunt may well have had nothing to do with "Mr John", the Norwegian, and everything to do with trying to project an image to their overlords in Bangkok that Chiang Mai Immigration was no longer hostile to its foreign users.

7 minutes ago, BestB said:

But was his extension granted?😜😉😂

Once he'd paid 10,000 Baht for the cake, yes.

i don't think there is much doubt now that the Thai government or at least immigration is reading comments on Thai Visa.

What a nice gesture, bit different to Khonkaen, they only want a photo..... Not of me but my catheter bag.😲

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

What a nice gesture, bit different to Khonkaen, they only want a photo..... Not of me but my catheter bag.😲

Ah, but was it your birthday when they photographed your catheter bag?

That's probably why you and your bag aren't in the photo as 'Exhibit A' like the cake.

Oh sweet Jasus! Seriously ?

Hold back my hair, hold back my hair!

sick2.gif

22 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Apparently it wasn't Mr John's actual birthday - but it was near enough.

But it's the thought that counts, no?

23 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Deputy at Region 4 immigration Pol Col Phallop Suriyakun said it was all part of Lt-Gen Surachate "Big Joke" Hakparn's policy to impress visitors to immigration. 

Failed to impress TV's inveterate immigration bashers either - but it was near enough.

what a blatant attempt at damage control by immigration after yesterdays, monthly shifting of the goal posts and bureaucracy expansion with relation to retirement visa's. Thaivisa is being used as a propaganda arm for the immigration department, daily news of immigration round ups, crime reporting, trying to shape falang perception. The immigration offices are not much better than meat processing centers. Anyone else here had someone smile at them at immigration recently, let alone sing you a song? <deleted> this is. Thaivisa has become a propaganda distribution and intelligence gathering organization for the Thai military

17 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

What we see as "irrational behaviour" here is sometimes driven by the relationship between a subordinate and their boss. This relationship is opaque and has very considerable vertical distance in Thailand. That is to say the boss can drastically affect the subordinate's lives either positively or negatively. It is something along the lines of a medieval lord and his serfs.

This birthday cake stunt may well have had nothing to do with "Mr John", the Norwegian, and everything to do with trying to project an image to their overlords in Bangkok that Chiang Mai Immigration was no longer hostile to its foreign users.

If he were to walk outside, get a taxi and then said driver finds his wallet, then my head is going to explode! 

EXPLODE.gif