Norwegian left "speechless" after Chiang Mai immigration sing Happy Birthday, present cake to retiree

rooster59

Wonder how long the cake hung about ,just waiting

for a nice dressed Farang with an immanent birthday

to drop in.

I was there the other day and i must say a great improvement

over the old place,which used to be like the Black Hole of Calcutta,

very difficult to breath in the hot weather,and the smell,plenty of

parking spaces now,less Expats too ,i suspect.

regards worgeordie

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Recently I lost my passport, and because I was staying in the area, I dealt with all the necessary visa/paperwork requirements at Singburi Immigration: and I have to say that they were absolutely fantastic in the way they dealt with it. Fortunately, I had 2 passports, so it was a case of transferring the entry stamp into my 2nd. They were extremely friendly and helpful, courteous, professional and polite. I can remember the old immigration at Suan Plu in Bangkok, and how things used to be there, and this 'new' style is a far cry from then. Well done,  I say! 

On 2/2/2019 at 9:33 AM, Briggsy said:

What we see as "irrational behaviour" here is sometimes driven by the relationship between a subordinate and their boss. This relationship is opaque and has very considerable vertical distance in Thailand. That is to say the boss can drastically affect the subordinate's lives either positively or negatively. It is something along the lines of a medieval lord and his serfs.

This birthday cake stunt may well have had nothing to do with "Mr John", the Norwegian, and everything to do with trying to project an image to their overlords in Bangkok that Chiang Mai Immigration was no longer hostile to its foreign users.

My thoughts exactly.  But to explain what is going on here in more simple terms:

This is just a PR stunt like all of the stories of a Taxi driver finding 1 million baht cash in his cab then giving it back to the owner.

PR Stunt soon to be followed by water trucks shooting water into the air when the real smoke haze hits town.

I dont if this still happens but Phuket Imm used to wear casual,colourful clothing to give the place a holiday feel.

I know Imm is part of the police structure, but why not Lanna style "uniforms" for the CM Imm people insread of looking like storm troopers.

I hope he enjoyed his cake, being a white male helped make the choice .Can you imagine them making that gesture to a worker from Mynamar

On 2/3/2019 at 10:16 AM, Aussieroaming said:

I bet he was speechless after he was given a bill for the cake.

My ex thai boss used to take money from everyones salary to buy a cake without even asking, so yes, not suprised if they bill him

12 hours ago, baansgr said:

My ex thai boss used to take money from everyones salary to buy a cake without even asking, so yes, not suprised if they bill him

Hahaha yeah I have worked in Asia for years and it never ceases to amaze me how the girls appetites seemed to be insatiable when the cakes are slapped down and free. Luckily our birthday cakes and pizzas always came from project funds.

Archived