"Orders from above" - Jomtien massage vendors arrested after failing to pay for New Year party

rooster59

"Orders from above" - Jomtien massage vendors arrested after failing to pay for New Year party

59107.jpg

Image: 77kaoded

77kaoded reported that a group of traditional Thai massage operators on Jomtien beach were arrested after failing to pay for a new year treat for "tessakit" (municipal officers).

The groups on the Pink Zone on the beach had baulked at paying 20,000 baht for the treat because they usually paid 5,000 baht at New Year. A man who approached them refused to accept 10,000 baht either. 

The groups in the Sky Blue zone paid up the 20,000 baht and had no subsequent problems. 

But members of the Pink zone operators were arrested. 

They were given no reason for this apart from being told that it was "orders from above". 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-02

20190131_101341.jpg

8 minutes ago, keith101 said:

Idont know if i am understanding this properly but these people were arrested for not paying what sounds like a bribe to Municipal officers ?

Nope that's impossible because mr Prayuth is eradicating corruption.....it must be a misunderstanding.

Thailand only gone down 3 places in the corruption index,

it think it should have been more, you only hear of the hidden

corruption when someone is brave or stupid enough to bring

it into the open.

regards worgeordie

Reminds me of good old days when some countries moved to capitalism:
market cubicle rent against invoice say 1 $;
plus voluntary insurance premium say 99 $.
Those that refuse to pay more than 1 $
have a statistically significantly higher fire hazard in their cubicle. 
something like 100 % probability within two months.

6 hours ago, keith101 said:

Idont know if i am understanding this properly but these people were arrested for not paying what sounds like a bribe to Municipal officers ?

You are misunderstanding the post completely.

These people were arrested for not giving out new year gifts valued at 20,000 baht as expected.

Municipality Officials do not except bribes !

1 hour ago, KKr said:

Reminds me of good old days when some countries moved to capitalism:
market cubicle rent against invoice say 1 $;
plus voluntary insurance premium say 99 $.
Those that refuse to pay more than 1 $
have a statistically significantly higher fire hazard in their cubicle. 
something like 100 % probability within two months.

I haven't watched "The Godfather" since moving to Thailand. 'Godfather under coconut trees' is way more entertaining... ????

20 hours ago, keith101 said:

Absolutely, graft, the rich people in a position of power putting the squeeze on fairly poor people. When I was a lowly factory worker at Christmas the company gave US gifts! 

Not only is it wrong, it is mandated!

On February 1, 2019 at 9:20 PM, fruitman said:

Nope that's impossible because mr Prayuth is eradicating corruption.....it must be a misunderstanding.

Sure, that is why he appointed the son of ChonBuri mafia Godfather Somchai Khunpluem as Pattaya mayor recently. 

On 2/2/2019 at 10:11 AM, keith101 said:

Read the article 3 times and still can't make heads or tails of it...

16 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

Read the article 3 times and still can't make heads or tails of it...

The Thessakij is the enforcement arm of the local municipality. It is their responsibility to arrest illegal vendors. Just as in any country, you cannot set up your business on the pavement or sidewalk or beach. It is illegal.

However, the Thessakij here operate a different business model. Rather than arrest illegal vendors, it "rents" out pavement space or the right to hawk goods in a specific area in return for cash payments. It is very lucrative. You can imagine how lucrative it is to sell goods and services on a beach full of tourists. With no competition and a cartel that fixes prices!!

When the Thessakij take the cash, they usually pass it off as a payment to the Social Club or New Year Party rather than calling it an illegal pay-off. It's a bit of window-dressing.

This year, one group of vendors is refusing to pay the bribe as it is too high. Remarkably this story has found its way into the public domain despite the obvious illegality of the actions of all concerned.

I hope this makes it clear.

Archived