SURVEY: Will the new financial requirements force you to leave?

SURVEY: Will the new financial requirements force you to leave?  

618 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

49 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

High drama here

Life is based on similar situations and circumstances.

It's what often drives migration, families are routinely broken up so breadwinners can chase money to feed their families.

What do you expect from the country? Permanent residency for being broke? That's a serious question, not being flippant.

I'm not broke.  I am just old, sick (cancer) and disabled. Thanks for your input.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My vote, "Who can predict the future"

They might change the rules so I can't stay, I might die before that.

I'm thinking 80% of foreigners would be driven out before me, but who wants to live in a place that treats foreigners like that?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The more I think about this, the harder it is to understand what these new rules re 800K are expected to achieve.

If the problem is foreigners living here without adequate means to support themselves (and I agree that happens and is a concern), how does tying up people's money so they can't spend it under any circumstance help with that? On the contrary I would say that by requiring what amounts to a 400K bond, all you do is deplete people's savings by 400K thereby likely increasing the numbers of people without adequate financial buffer to fall back on.

If the problem is illegal extensions being granted, nothing in this law addresses that.  Agents abetted by corrupt IOs will get around these new requirements just as easily as they did the old.

Yes Sheryl I just had the same epiphany also.  If immigration wont let us get at our money why cant we lock up up in a condo or business purchase? That is why I just started the following thread.  I would welcome your comments:

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The more I think about this, the harder it is to understand what these new rules re 800K are expected to achieve.

If the problem is foreigners living here without adequate means to support themselves (and I agree that happens and is a concern), how does tying up people's money so they can't spend it under any circumstance help with that? On the contrary I would say that by requiring what amounts to a 400K bond, all you do is deplete people's savings by 400K thereby likely increasing the numbers of people without adequate financial buffer to fall back on.

If the problem is illegal extensions being granted, nothing in this law addresses that.  Agents abetted by corrupt IOs will get around these new requirements just as easily as they did the old.

It's filtration.........

they want the have's, not the have not's.

Pure and simple

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

People seem to be making a big fuss about the changes,

which really only boil down to having the cash in the bank

a bit longer,only go to immigration once a year,90 days done

online,been here 31 years and Thailand has been very good

to me,so hopefully i will die here,and stay here,as i already

have a grave bought in the foreign cemetery.

regards worgeordie

I haven't had any cash in a Thai bank since the coup.

Seemed a bit too risky.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

55 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

Philippines is sketchy as hell. Armed guards everywhere. Open shops are caged in. It's one step from open civil war and food riots. Most subsisting on 2-3 dollar a day.

Expat scams around. You'll have a target on your back the moment you step off the plane.

Sounds like my kind of place.  Hua Hin is boring as hell. :cheesy:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Nowisee said:

Will the new financial requirements force you to leave?  No.

Will the new financial requirements make me consider leaving?  Yes.

The Spain/France/Portugal option is looking much better these days.  The hiking, motorcycling, cycling, food, music, mountains... MUCH nicer.

not to mention 'likeminded'

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

It's like a tax by stealth. They haven't officially changed the minimum fiscal requirements like so many doomsayers say is an inevitability. By asking the retiree to bank the same 800 k and not touch it, they know that in all practicality he/she will need yet ANOTHER 800 k to live on, thus they have covertly doubled the income requirements for long-stayers without having it wrote in any statutes.

But without increasing people's spend-able income. The worst of both worlds.

if they had doubled the income requirement people would have more money to spend while here and likely many would in fact respond by spending more. I know I would. I'd change from US credit cards paid out of my US bank to Thai cards paid from my Thai account, for starters. 

Not with this system, though. In fact there is an incentive to spend as little as possible so as to reduce the amount one has to bring in to live on beyond the required 800K.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheThai said:

No where did I state I was moving to the Philippines.  I was responded to the fact he stated he didn't know of a country that didn't require the financial responsibilities that Thailand is now requiring.

Below is statistics of crime rate.   Thailand actually has a higher crime rate than the Philippines.
https://www.worldofbuzz.com/malaysia-ranks-number-1-south-east-asia-highest-crime-rate/

image.png.acdbf200b325bfffba03bb6aecf61239.png

That is very interesting. I don't know how they are defining crime and subcategories such as violent crime versus fraud/theft. But it does give reason to pause and think.

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've been there lots in the past four years.

It was a really nice place to live, everyone spoke English and were very friendly.

France is nearer to civil war than the Philippines IMHO.

The whole world is closer to civil war, you are right, just we never really think it's going to happen in our  lifetime, god forbid.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheThai said:

I did not see anything that stated you have to PROVE the transfers were from abroad.  That is pure speculation by forum members.  It only states having monthly income transfers of 65k a month.  Period.

Oh I see, you are new here. How new?

Last Wednesday. I suggest you read some of the past posts on this subject before 'insulting' forum members.

Edited by wgdanson
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I haven't had any cash in a Thai bank since the coup.

Seemed a bit too risky.

Living ATM-to-mouth is just as risky IMHO. I was working in Brazil for a couple of years around 1995, happily sucking my locally-earned, overseas banked and non-domiciled cash out of ATM machines. While I was on a beach idyll in Jericocoara, they changed the rules and when I got back to the city, I found that foreign bank-issued plastic didn't work in any ATM any more. Luckily for me, Miss Anna Keila Silva da Silva, my bit-titted squeeze at the time was not only well-endowed but also well-minted.

50 minutes ago, anon7854 said:

It's weird how the Philippines is the "11th most dangerous country for tourists" because of the Islamic insurgency in a tiny part of the southernmost islands where there is zero tourism (neither local or international). Thailand has the same problem with Islamist rebels in southern Thailand, but western media does not report on it.

The last time I was sort of southwards was about seven years ago in Hat Yai. Police and army cordons around the airport. No marked taxis. Three weeks after I returned to Bangkok, I bomb blew up the hotel where I had been staying.

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Living ATM-to-mouth is just as risky IMHO. I was working in Brazil for a couple of years around 1995, happily sucking my locally-earned, overseas banked and non-domiciled cash out of ATM machines. While I was on a beach idyll in Jericocoara, they changed the rules and when I got back to the city, I found that foreign bank-issued plastic didn't work in any ATM any more. Luckily for me, Miss Anna Keila Silva da Silva, my bit-titted squeeze at the time was not only well-endowed but also well-minted.

I started using money transfer companies, HiFx at first, then switched to Transferwise as I can move money in 24hrs. As long as the internet works, I can move money around.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

It's like a tax by stealth. They haven't officially changed the minimum fiscal requirements like so many doomsayers say is an inevitability. By asking the retiree to bank the same 800 k and not touch it, they know that in all practicality he/she will need yet ANOTHER 800 k to live on, thus they have covertly doubled the income requirements for long-stayers without having it wrote in any statutes.

Yes. I already posted this on another thread.  That's exactly what this is a "defacto" doubling of the required amount.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1