BANGKOK 21 February 2019 15:09
homeseeker

Elite Visa now a serious alternative to 800k in bank?

With the new rule for retirees using the 800k in the bank method to obtain the annual renewal this in effect  means for long stayers they need keep at least 400k in the bank indefinitely. Might as well write of that sum.

My understanding is for the 5 year elite visa there is a guarantee of  5 years  hassle free living though the downside a one off payment of 500k.

Also Elite Visa holders who have made their home in Thailand still need to go to immigration annually and need do the 90 day report ..is that right?

So does anyone have any input as to which is best?

• Thanks 2

I don't think you can look at life expectancy of 6 years. If you import and bank 85000 baht every year for those 6 years you will have enough to purchase a further 5 year Elite visa. You cold do this ad infinitum.

If things go really tits up and I lose 500,000 baht, just maybe you will lose that 800,000 baht also.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

I'm fully aware that I could lose all 500,000 under certain circumstances. Under certain circumstances,not necessarily the same ones, you could lose 800,000. I'm not specifying how or when it would happen,just that it COULD.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, wazzadg44 said:

I'm fully aware that I could lose all 500,000 under certain circumstances. Under certain circumstances,not necessarily the same ones, you could lose 800,000. I'm not specifying how or when it would happen,just that it COULD.

Not under 'certain  circumstances', after 5 years it will be gone, both visa and 500K

• Like 1
  • Haha 1