Elite Visa now a serious alternative to 800k in bank?

12 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Elite is a joke money gone .

You financial experts need to take some remediation classes. 

I wouldn't ever call it a joke, it is an alternative for those who have more money than time. As you get older this indeed often becomes the case. 

• Like 2

On 2/12/2019 at 3:39 AM, humbug said:

i understand people's choices for various visas thats still available to all of us, but to claim 800k over a year period makes 100k, come on, property funds here pay 5% after tax yearly(quarterly payment), compounded over 5 years thats around 250k earnings from 800k, people are really being asked to lose their right to earn with keeping money tied up in low interest accounts

no, i was factoring interest on 800k to be around 20k per year.

the 100k was talking about the total interest loss over 5 years, if having a retirement visa compared to 500k cost of the elite visa for 5 years.

On 2/5/2019 at 12:40 PM, dcnx said:

Curious, what happens if you live past 80? If you don’t have whatever sum to meet the new requirements 20 years from now, you’re screwed.

Thailand is such a horrible long term investment. I’m amazed at how many struggle to stay here. I don’t see the point unless you have more money than you know what to do with, and in that case, why live in an unwelcoming third world country when you can live in a real country where you don’t have to worry about such things?

That said, the 20 year Elite is a much better deal than the 5 year. It’s what happens after the 20 years is up that would worry me. You’re absolutely invested at that point and possibly too old to start over if you don’t meet the requirements then, which will no doubt be ridiculous.

Which is why if I ever  needed an Elite id  wait  until I was about 68 as the chance of  living beyond 88 is probably slim

29 minutes ago, Ratt Thai said:

Indeed. The 20 year option for 1 Million certainly is a decent alternative.
How many foreigners do build/buy a house that costs far more, but still they are not sure if they can live in Thailand for the next 20 years ?

For me, the 20 year TE is a part of the roof over my head, not need to be worried, no need to be fixed, no leakage...

Imagine a perfect car, one million more expensive yes, but it would never break down during the next 20 years of your life... would you pay that extra surplus for the peace of mind and the confidence that you don't have to worry about that ? No hidden costs, no extra repair bills, no breakdown, no accidents, no downtime, ... wouldn't you take that option ?

My priority: peace of mind.

Unfortunately you should read their rules, they can withdraw or  change anything about it at any time.