What would you do to prevent illegal extension applications???

Create a law which says that all cases of accused corruption have to go to court. Set a minimum jail sentence for people who get prosecuted for corruption, including dismissal of government service and voiding any government pension. In return up government salaries, especially for the lower ranks.

This would be a change at the root of it and would most likely set an end to the agent's business.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

For the family support visas, which are a completely different kettle of fish, a proper home study should be conducted; one should be allowed to have low income or assets, at long as all of it is dedicated to supporting one's family. 

This is a very sensible suggestion. Your first suggestion in your post however ....hmmmmmmm.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

No matter what rules are developed, agents can circumvent them - but only if corrupt IOs and/or bank staff cooperate.

The solution is not hard to understand, there is just no political will to implement it.

1. Outlaw Visa agents and enforce this.

2. Dismiss corrupt IOs.

easy said than done, but good idea

35 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Doesn't matter how simple the process is, if agents are allowed to operate and corrupt IOs collude with them. 800K or 1million, this type of acocunt or the other, how is it different? the agents can still scam it as long as IOs cooperate with them.

As best as I can judge, there are basically two reasons why one would use an agent.

1. The applicant is rich enough to be able to afford to have someone else do the legwork.

2. The applicant does not have the required finances and therefor 'cheats the system' by using a corrupt agent. (and hence a corrupt IO)

I've no issues with the first reason, but in order to address the second reason, ALL applicants via an agent should be screened in such a way as to prove, beyond any reasonable doubt, that it was they who provided the money that has been deposited in the bank, not the agent. They must also be subject to the same 'seasoning rules'.

This would have no impact on the rich applicant, but it would surely weed out the cheaters.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Every Imm office i have ever used - a total of 4 different ones over the years - has physically examined the original bank book as well as asking for a copy.

I did not say they not do that they have always checked mine too, but if they are doing for an agent they could forget to check the bank book for a small fee once the bankbook is given back there is no way to check if it is correct or not so there can be no chance that the immigration officer can be found out if he has received a bribe while doing the extension

• Like 2

They should have an extension whereby a Farang parent can be supported financially by a Thai child. In 2006-7 they tried this but ditched it after one year or less. You could obtain an extension, I got one, without showing money. It was considered as being the Thai way in that the child supports the parent in old age. Somewhat similar to a Thai man married to a farang lady. A farang female does not have show finances as her husband is seen to support her. And her husband does not have to show he supports her even though she may well be working and he isn't. The whole thing is b*****ks

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

nope, it's because the embassies decided stop providing income certificates

And rightly so. How could they provide a certificate to anyone walsing in to the ebassy claiming  (with one hand on the bible) that he/she have a 800K yearly income.

And it's not "the embassies", there was just 4 of them who stopped this 'service'.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, offset said:

There is no paper trials for any body to check the bank account paperwork after a extension is given. The requirement is a copy of the front page and the page the 3 months is shown but there is nothing to show the page for the 3 months is the same book as the front page with the name on (can just issue a book with the name on it and copy any bodies 3 month page) so it is not easy to do a check at a later date

All my Thai bank books show the account number on every page. I think they know about fraud here.

• Like 2