What would you do to prevent illegal extension applications???

9 minutes ago, notamember said:

and record what? sitting down and having your picture taken?

do you imagine that an agent pulls out a wad of 1000's and gives it to the officer in front of a customer?

you are so naive, 

Yet another poster who dives in half way through a thread and jumps to completely the wrong conclusion.

Go back to #57 on page 4, read the full story and try again. 

1 minute ago, notamember said:

there are many cameras in Immigration already

how do you know a female officer is less corrupt?

did you try to bar fine her?

Have a look at the way cameras face in YOUR immigration office next time you are in.

Your other comment doesn't warrant a response.

They march in the streets with impunity in my country.  I've seem similar in Europe - literal riots over issues like "our free wifi you give us (in our free housing with free food) is too slow." 

We are not poor relative to Thais by any stretch, so the comparison is meaningless.  But even if it were, it is Immigration making the changes to long-standing policies which people were relying on to remain consistent.

Policies to 'remain consistant', in your dreams pal.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Haha 1

They need to lower the factors that it does not take 65k to live in most places outside of the city areas for an expat by living themselves. 20k -25k tops. It is their prejudice that keeps rising which feeds their fire with no consideration for the ones on fixed incomes. The key here is at least they have fixed incomes and this should show and mean a lot in integrity. Variable, bad exchange rates. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Yet another poster who dives in half way through a thread and jumps to completely the wrong conclusion.

yes i read it now but how does it relate to wearing a bodycam that you think will record something untoward going on?

it will not achieve or record anything

its a silly suggestion

9 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Have a look at the way cameras face in YOUR immigration office next time you are in.

Your other comment doesn't warrant a response.

unless you have been in the camera control room you do not know

same as you do not know anything about the propensity of a female officer to be less or more corrupt than a male counterpart

At the end of the day, you are just guessing like 99% of the contributors to this thread

10 minutes ago, notamember said:
20 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

10 minutes ago, notamember said:

yes i read it now but how does it relate to wearing a bodycam that you think will record something untoward going on?

it will not achieve or record anything

its a silly suggestion

So, you're now aware that the poster, Jackthomson, claims he was twice refused service despite making a perfectly legitimate request for an extension.

My suggestion is that wearing a bodycam in such circumstances might just deter such behaviour by the IO. Nothing to do with sweeteners passing over, or under the table. Just encouragement to do the job they are paid to do.

1 minute ago, Moonlover said:

So, you're now aware that the poster, Jackthomson, claims he was twice refused service despite making a perfectly legitimate request for an extension.

My suggestion is that wearing a bodycam in such circumstances might just deter such behaviour by the IO. Nothing to do with sweeteners passing over, or under the table. Just encouragement to do the job they are paid to do.

Just who would you suggest you show that to?  Brave move

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Female officers in my experience seem to be less, if at all, corrupt as well (and in most cases are far more pleasing on the eye.

Nope.  I have personal experience at 2 desks (2 services) which directly contradicts this.  You would think a female-IO would want to see a Thai lady's supporting-husband get an extension, right?  Not necessarily - maybe they jealous and spiteful, instead. 

I'm not saying the men are necessarily better - only that it varies by office and IO, seemingly without respect to gender.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, puukao said:

Does everyone fail to remember what we preach?  This is not, and never will be, our country!!!!  they can change everything, make us "happy" and then change it all back.......or take everything, or do anything.  we have zero voice.  we have lots of rights (hopefully) in the country on our passport.  you want rights, go there.  

until they give you a Thai passport, forget it.  yes, times are changing.  you can change too!!!  just look on the map and go where you are welcome.  everyone is welcome here, but not forever if you are not rich.  

no house, wife, kids, and money in your home country's bank.....relative freedom.  you want a house and wife in a country that isn't your own.  problems multiply.  we know this......don't we?  so take your wife back home.....except most don't have money to do this.  well, then if you poor....see above.  you are not welcome.  

i'm not upset about it at all....if poor people came to my community back home and wanted to change immigration policies to suit them....LOL

The thing is people are not poor but still affected. All this go back home nonsense is tiresome. I easily have now with pension payments 65 k a month, I also have at least 800k in the bank, I just dont want to have to keep reporting at the bank or immigration and have half of MY money not being able to use it. Im far from poor but the constant changes and attitudes such as yours dosnt make for a plesent environment. And btw, I would love to go back home but because of the xenophobic uncaring way this country treats Foreign Fathers I am unable to unless I leave my three kids at the mercy of the inlaws.....Think befor calling people poor!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I could use the fake "requirements list" given to me by the Non-O-stamp IO - but all that would do is get me effectively blacklisted, since whoever I am reporting to probably gets a cut of her action. 

The problem is, there is no "good guy" with power/oversight power that we know of.  We'd need some sort of anonymous-system to even report such things without suffering severe and certain retribution.

6 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Just who would you suggest you show that to?  Brave move

Exactly.  Unless the Times of London picks it up, it:

• won't make a difference
  • could make your staying here impossible, thereafter

8 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

duh! ya fink?

i have read this same report from JT many, many times

i am sure he  copy/pastes it and weaves it into every post he makes

in fact If you had said it was a report from JT then i would not have had to go back to #57, i almost know it by heart

JT has had a hard on for agents and IO for years

He has a conspiratorial nature and is frustrated that no one cares

Poor JT......

• Haha 1

I would redo the immigration system here to more alike what is required for residence permit in the West, i.e. similar to the Schengen system. To demand that retirees put money in the bank here, well fine, but it does not exclude those spoken of daily, bad boys. If anyone has money, it's the bad guys.????

Was this at Promenade or the new location nr the airport?

I couldn't even get an appointment to see Immigration about a VISA extension the last two times I tried in Chiang Mai. Unless I was prepared to queue all night, or use an agent.
Before that when they had online appointment bookings, they would make me wait 2-3 hours even though I was the first one on that day with an appointment.
Did I mention the VISA agents walking straight in with piles of 10-20 applications, while I was waiting.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

36 minutes ago, notamember said:

i have read this same report from JT many, many times

i am sure he  copy/pastes it and weaves it into every post he makes

Only when people say asinine things like, "There is no problem at immigration if you meet the requirements" - as if that were always true.  You cite others, and they say it's heresay, so you have to assert you have "been there and done that" yourself.  Then the newbies ask for the details, etc.

38 minutes ago, notamember said:

He has a conspiratorial nature

Are IOs lining their pockets with agent-money to issue extensions or not?  If so, yeah, that's a conspiracy by definition.  To describe it otherwise would require severe denial or reality, bordering on schizophrenia. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Date Masamune said:

Make all non work Visas 300 baht per day paid in advance.

100 Baht/day for under-50s could work.  That is still well over double the PI, Vietnam, and Cambodia, so some lost opportunity, but many would be willing to pay it.  More than that much, and it just seems comes off as a scam, given the other offers in the area.

But if the goal is simply that we can never be a burden to Thailand - 150K Baht in a locked-account which you can collect at the airport on departure, plus a 100K-deductible health plan that only keeps you alive until you can be "shipped home" (might cost 1000 baht/yr, if everyone bought it).  The bank-money is just to ensure you can pay the 100K health-ins deductible and plane-fare on your way out.  If arrested for overstay or another crime, the IDC could also use the money for your fine(s) and to ship you out.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Only when people say asinine things like, "There is no problem at immigration if you meet the requirements" - as if that were always true.  You cite others, and they say it's heresay, so you have to assert you have "been there and done that" yourself.  Then the newbies ask for the details, etc.

Are IOs lining their pockets with agent-money to issue extensions or not?  If so, yeah, that's a conspiracy by definition.  To describe it otherwise would require severe denial or reality, bordering on schizophrenia. 

ok Jack

i accept that

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

All passbooks follow an industry wide standard format of having the account number on the front (title) page and then a book serial number which appears on every page, including the front page.

I keep looking at my Kbank pages that I used for my Extension on Friday and I cannot see any number on the pages of my passbook if I knew how to post a copy on here I would do so. I see on my Krungsri bank book that all pages have the account number on them

20 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

The extensions are not always fraud, a high level immigration officer can approve an extension without funds or seasoning, "legally".

Access to the high level officer, via an agent, is corruption etc but its still a legal extension if the officer is empowered.

at what immo officer level police captain up ???

wbr

roobaa01

1) Keep the existing method for seasoned THB800k as is. The passbook is presented in its original form and shows money in on date 3 months prior. This is supported by the bank letter stating exactly the same thing.

2) Set up a special task force to examine all agent-applied Extensions of Stay, to ensure that they comply with THB800k seasoning, as above.

3) Separate personally applied EoS in one section, and open a separate Agent-applied EoS in another section. This also eliminates the queue-jumping that the corruption permits.

Isn't it that simple?

Edited by samtam

10 minutes ago, offset said:

I keep looking at my Kbank pages that I used for my Extension on Friday and I cannot see any number on the pages of my passbook if I knew how to post a copy on here I would do so. I see on my Krungsri bank book that all pages have the account number on them

Well, I don't have a Kbank account so I can't comment, but we do have three accounts with Krungsri. All passbooks have the account number on the front page and the books serial number on every working page. 

19 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

For the family support visas, which are a completely different kettle of fish, a proper home study should be conducted; one should be allowed to have low income or assets, at long as all of it is dedicated to supporting one's family. 

Or a simple prenupt saying it's all hers anyway.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, samtam said:

1) Keep the existing method for seasoned THB800k as is. The passbook is presented in its original form and shows money in on date 3 months prior. This is supported by the bank letter stating exactly the same thing.

2) Set up a special task force to examine all agent-applied Extensions of Stay, to ensure that they comply with THB800k seasoning, as above.

3) Separate personally applied EoS in one section, and open a separate Agent-applied EoS in another section. This also eliminates the queue-jumping that the corruption permits.

Isn't it that simple?

Nah

I got a better idea

Bad Immigration officers out,  Good Immigration officers in.

Hey,  what goes around,  comes around. :giggle:

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, samtam said:

The bank-letter only shows the current balance, but I get what you mean.

Requires the seasoning-info is kept on-file permanently - or at least for the year the extension is active, or long enough to ensure a review is possible.  This would need some follow up - at least some spot-checking of actual bank-histories, to see if they match the (possibly fake) seasoning-proof copies.

Isn't it that simple?

Or just ban agents, like they did in the Philippines.  Now, in the PI, the IOs have nothing to gain by screwing anyone.  Of course, their rules are much more straightforward, which helps their process remain sane.