Water tank and filtering - Khueang Nai - looking for recommendations

tibotibo

Hi all

Sorry if I am asking for this again, I think this might be a recurring question...

We are looking for advice about water systems (tank and filters) for our house in Ban Thai.

1. The water is pumped from the ground - the pump is already in place
  2. We would like enough water and pressure for 10 people staying at a time
  3. But my main question is what systems are the most appropriate if are we are using the house only from time to time (weekends and holidays)
  4. If I am allowed to ask here, do you have any reference for good and serious companies (supplier or installer) in the region of Khueang Nai?

cheers

T

Do you have details of your water supply?  That will be the deciding factor for what filters are required.  For tanks the high quality poly types (sandstone or other finnish that does not allow light to penetrate) should be fine for most any water.  In Bangkok have used SS tanks for several decades and still fine but believe they are not the best for some water.  Grundfos pumps are my choice for power and reliable.  

36 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Do you have details of your water supply? 

I am not fully sure what you mean, but the water is coming from a borehole (I think this is the right term), then using a pump, but I do not have the pump details yet, if needed it can also be replaced I guess.

What the water condition is - minerals and such.  Filters are dependent on knowing such details - local contractors likely will know this even if you can not have tested yourself and be able to advise better than us.  

Using a bore hole pump to supply a tank with pump from that to the house is a common solution.  It doesn't matter how often you stay there, if you need these things then you need them to be comfortable with a water supply.  You say in the OP that you already have a bore hole and pump for that, so if you don't already have - get a 1500-2000 liter tank and a "250 WATT" minimum pump to supply to the house (after the tank).  Filters if you need them but chances are you don't.

2 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

"250 WATT" minimum pump to supply to the house (after the tank).

Believe that may be lowball if you want any pressure with 10 people.  We found normal 400w well pump totally inadequate in two story home here in Bangkok and switched to obtain higher pressure pumps.  But have not used new generation constient pressure types (and from the noise of neighbors will not do so) so they might be adequate at lower wattage.  

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Believe that may be lowball if you want any pressure with 10 people.  We found normal 400w well pump totally inadequate in two story home here in Bangkok and switched to obtain higher pressure pumps.  But have not used new generation constient pressure types (and from the noise of neighbors will not do so) so they might be adequate at lower wattage.  

I did suggest "minimum".  But anyway, 10 people doesn't mean 10 bathrooms and 250 watt seems to work for most 2 story houses with bath up/down.  Whatever.

10 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

I did suggest "minimum".  But anyway, 10 people doesn't mean 10 bathrooms and 250 watt seems to work for most 2 story houses with bath up/down.  Whatever.

Sorry did not mean to sound condescending but for us lower power pumps just did not make it and did not mean to imply 10 bathrooms being used at once - but even 2 taps on a lower power pump makes showers problematic with electric heaters as go from cold/hot by water flow.  As this was not reported to be under construction home will have to work with the pipes installed, which are likely 3/4 or 1/2 inch so higher pressure would be what I would want (although do understand the pipe work may now allow as often not installed well).  Just trying to add things to consider - not saying I am right or anyone else is wrong.

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for your answers, it gives me a good idea of various options for pump, tank, and filtering...

I would love to have 10 bathrooms but nope we will only have 2 bathrooms after we will have extended the wooden 1-floor country-side house. We would be maximum 10 when all the family gathers together, but not using all the water at the same time, so this is more an important criterion for the tank than for the pump.

There is already a main house almost finished, with a bathroom, and with existing pipes as you say and we are adding an extension with a second bathroom.

It seems that the water currently being pumped is not that clear/clean... then I believe it might need filtering. But as mentioned the only way to know is to test or ask local contractor advice.

So I summarize, without even speaking about price:

1) Check the existing setup and current pump, test the water - This will bring the water to the tank - Do I need a filter here?

2) Connect this to a Tank (1500 to 2000 liters)

3) Connect to pump - I guess for comfort 400W could be an option but 250W might be enough - Grundfos brand

Important is also to use big enough tubes 1" minimum form tank to pump and from the pump to the house. And be sure that the plumbers remove burrs from the tubes and not so much glue that the fittings are blocked. 

Any recommendation of good contractors around Khueang Nai or Ubon Ratchathani?

Thanks a million again for your help!

Thibaut

Normally you will require filters after the pump and before taps as filters need maintenance (backflush with pump water) - the type of filters will be dependent on what is in your water that needs removal and they can be cartridge or SS tanks filled with filter materials.  

With single story and only two BR Grundfos may be overkill as they are quite expensive - for 2 story house find them worth the money as they provide normal US style pressure - but modern showers work OK now on less pressure so not as important as in the past.  But can get a bit complex with filters,valves/pipes and does require some local knowledge of water and what is available (to keep running) so probably best to search out someone.  If no recommendations look for a shop selling pumps as they normally can offer advise and recommend people.

Archived