Hua Hin jetski operators given strict rules after tourists report rip offs

rooster59

Talk News Online

k2-1024x576.jpg

Talk News Online reported that Hua Hin officials accompanied by the police, military and tessakit officers went to Hua Don beach in Hua Hin on Friday to rein in the jetski operators. 

They were told to stick to strict prices and strict areas of operation.

If they strayed from the rules they would get a warning then be chucked off the beach if there were further infractions.

The operators were made to sign an agreement to the proposals. 

Director of the Region 4 Department of Coastal Resources Wan Chatree said that complaints had been received by tourists of overcharging and jetskis encroaching on areas where they were not allowed. 

He said there are four jetski operators in the Khao Takiap area of Hua Don beach operating 10 jetskis and two "scooter boats". 

All jetskis and boats were checked for safety and all tourists must be issued with life jackets. Each operator must have proper insurance in place and there must be signs in Thai and English explaining matters.

They are allowed to charge 1,500 baht for 30 minutes on a jetski or 2,800 baht for an hour.

Banana boat usage limits passengers to 5 and they are to be charged 300 baht for two circuits.

Undercutting each other on prices is not allowed. 

If the operators fall foul of the rules a warning will be issued. 

But if they fail to follow the rules again they will be removed from the beach. 

The operators signed their acceptance of these terms. 

Source: Talk News Online

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-02

k7-800x445.jpg

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

So that's an officially sanctioned cartel then. How very Thai.

Yes, they are not even allowed to be cheaper than the 1500 for 30 min.

Those things make so much noise that i stay far away from them....no fun on the beach with jetski's.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Sounds like a reasonable policy given that a common way to offset discount pricing is to make it up by scamming the tourists.

Offhand I cant actually remember ever getting a real discount in Thailand, only a small reduction from some artificially inflated starting price.

7 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Offhand I cant actually remember ever getting a real discount in Thailand, only a small reduction from some artificially inflated starting price.

I'll never forget getting a discounted tuk-tuk ride when I first arrived in BKK.  I think we all know how that turned out.  First time and last time...

The allegations of cheating seemed to have reached a zenith over the past Christmas holidays. In all the years of walking along the beach, I never once came across a dispute. This year, 2 incidents; One of which nearly turned to fisticuffs with a young western boy get ready to throttle one of the jet men. His father was trying to calm him while the mother was telling all passerby that the jet ski personnel were thugs and  dishonest. It was not pretty. I bit my tongue  as I wanted to say, hey idiot, you choose to transact with scum, what did you expect would happen?  The other was the usual yelling with a  Chinese tourist over whether or not the Chinese man had damaged the watercraft.

What I do not understand is that the law says that there are to be no business operations on the beach.  And yet, there they are, and now with local government and police approval. What's the point of having laws if they can be changed by whoever collects a "fee"?

15 hours ago, KittenKong said:

So that's an officially sanctioned cartel then. How very Thai.

Yes.

But it is also a way to try to eliminate competition by neglecting safety, by paying very low wages, attracting cheap labour, cheating on maintenance, etc

On 2/2/2019 at 5:25 PM, rooster59 said:

Strict Rules doesn't mean Nothing in Thailand,how many Laws and regulations and rules are Broken Any second of the day?   Thousands.  All Talk and no action. Gutless government .   

12 hours ago, hansnl said:

Yes.

But it is also a way to try to eliminate competition by neglecting safety, by paying very low wages, attracting cheap labour, cheating on maintenance, etc

No it isn't.

They will still neglect safety, pay very low wages and cheat on maintenance to maximise profits.

The only solution is to enforce laws on safety, wages and maintenance.

Yes.
Gee, I wonder if that will change anything :glare:
Sure, it will sort out all of the above mentioned.....

......Not.

Skickat från min Lenovo TB-X704F via Tapatalk

1,500baht for 30 minutes? You can rent a newish car in the uk with insurance for a day for that.1,500baht x6 rides a day x30 days a month.270,000b a month minus fuel and service must leave 200,000b a month profit.no wonder they will fight to the death to keep these earners going.

1500 THB for 30 min ? These cheats are charging the same prices as in Europe..... and with all the warnings against the well known jet ski scams in Thailand, people seem to be foolish enough to think they will not be the next victims....well let them learn in that case.

Been going to Takiab and seen those folks for many years. Never witnessed any confrontation or problems concerning them.

In fact, I've seen them help locals and tourist alike when the need arises.

Always considered them to be stand-up guys.

Archived