BANGKOK
Tofer

Computer hacked - help!

I've had issues with my computer for some time since I stupidly allowed a so called expert helpline access to assist with a problem. What confuses me is that access was facilitated via an IP in UK but since I've been in Thailand I am still having problems obviously on a completely different IP address and password.

Recently when I log onto my laptop there is a start up screen asking me to choose an operating system, Windows 7 or other. I try to escape this process but cannot move on until I make the selection.

Then when I try to open up documents / files the message 'delete this file' pops up and I cannot easily get rid of it. Sometimes persistently hitting the NO icon gets rid of it and the file opens, but then wherever the cursor is sitting the text starts deleting automatically.

Also when I log onto my email and try to open a message I get the same problem and the message gets deleted, if I  try to open the deleted message it gets permanently deleted.

I've checked the control panel and find that every time I log on Windows defender has been switched off. I've tried resetting the computer to an earlier date which took a lot of effort, but did help for a short while. Now it's back. To the screwed up version.

Someone has messed about with the settings and I've no idea how to fix it, also I'm very concerned that if someone can mess with my computer settings they may also be able to log my key strokes and learn of my passwords etc.

I'm just about at my wits end with it and on the verge of buying a new computer and changing my email address to try to thwart the culprits.

Please understand I am a bit of a dinosaur where technology is concerned and any assistance/ instructions will need to be simple, and would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in anticipation.

14 minutes ago, shady86 said:

Just reformat or reset if you are using Windows 10 should do the trick.

The OP mentions Win7. Win7 has no real reset option. Besides which, if the PC is infected with something nasty then even a reset may not be enough.

• Like 1

I agree installing it from scratch would be the best.

If you don't want to do that get an anti-virus CD or USB stick, boot from that and clean your hard disk.

You should make that disk with up to date signatures on a different PC which is virus free.

It's easy, it just takes time.

• Like 1

Who was the expert who connected to your computer via remote assistance?

Did they just contact you at random telling you there was something wrong with your computer?

The problem with just running virus scans is that much remote access software is entirely legitimate and so may not show up as being virus-like.

If you dont know the names of all such software, and if you dont know where to look, it may not be easy to spot them.

Hence the suggestion to reinstall everything afresh.

• Like 2

On 2/3/2019 at 2:36 AM, katana said:

Who was the expert who connected to your computer via remote assistance?

Did they just contact you at random telling you there was something wrong with your computer?

Yes they did. I can't remember and have no record, otherwise I would definitely report them.

I was struggling to do something and they popped up with the offer of assistance out of the blue. I watched them perform the task on my keypad / computer, then they asked for £158 for 2 minutes effort. Hence the problem, cos I was certainly not paying that. I'm guessing they had some link with Microsoft.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/3/2019 at 8:10 AM, KittenKong said:

The problem with just running virus scans is that much remote access software is entirely legitimate and so may not show up as being virus-like.

If you dont know the names of all such software, and if you dont know where to look, it may not be easy to spot them.

Hence the suggestion to reinstall everything afresh.

Correct, I don't believe it's a virus as they are into my settings and making adjustments / standing instructions, such as 'switch off Windows defender on each log in and the 'delete files' automatically. 

When I reset Windows defender and run a search, it comes up with 'no infected files / programmes'.

Did the OP ever install any malware protection on his device?   No?   Good idea to do that.

First step  to take is some   basic protection from attack.   There're  many who want to attack your device.

Second step is never utilize unsolicited help from  any agent about whom you know nothing.   You may think they're from the UK  but there are hundreds of videos on YouTube of  such scams.   Only rely on help you seek.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2019 at 8:10 AM, KittenKong said:

The problem with just running virus scans

Especially FREE virus scams.

• Like 1

Indian tech scammers strike again. Try to do a "system restore" and revert your system back to a date before it happened, change any important passwords and never let anyone remotely access your computer unless you're absolutely certain you can trust them. You're lucky they didn't syskey you.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Greyhat said:

Indian tech scammers strike again. Try to do a "system restore" and revert your system back to a date before it happened, change any important passwords and never let anyone remotely access your computer unless you're absolutely certain you can trust them. You're lucky they didn't syskey you.

What is syskey?