Computer hacked - help!

Tofer

I've had issues with my computer for some time since I stupidly allowed a so called expert helpline access to assist with a problem. What confuses me is that access was facilitated via an IP in UK but since I've been in Thailand I am still having problems obviously on a completely different IP address and password.

Recently when I log onto my laptop there is a start up screen asking me to choose an operating system, Windows 7 or other. I try to escape this process but cannot move on until I make the selection.

Then when I try to open up documents / files the message 'delete this file' pops up and I cannot easily get rid of it. Sometimes persistently hitting the NO icon gets rid of it and the file opens, but then wherever the cursor is sitting the text starts deleting automatically.

Also when I log onto my email and try to open a message I get the same problem and the message gets deleted, if I  try to open the deleted message it gets permanently deleted.

I've checked the control panel and find that every time I log on Windows defender has been switched off. I've tried resetting the computer to an earlier date which took a lot of effort, but did help for a short while. Now it's back. To the screwed up version.

Someone has messed about with the settings and I've no idea how to fix it, also I'm very concerned that if someone can mess with my computer settings they may also be able to log my key strokes and learn of my passwords etc.

I'm just about at my wits end with it and on the verge of buying a new computer and changing my email address to try to thwart the culprits.

Please understand I am a bit of a dinosaur where technology is concerned and any assistance/ instructions will need to be simple, and would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in anticipation.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, change your email password from another device. Preferably opt for two-factor authentication, if possible.

https://www.imore.com/two-factor-authentication

Then back up all your data on some external device.

Then format the hard drive and reinstall Windows completely, along with your software.

I would never trust remote service agents.

Use the opportunity to fit an inexpensive solid state drive to your PC and then clean install the operating system to it. This way you will not have to waste any time having to back up important data. Your PC will fly with the new SSD.

Then you can connect the old hard drive via USB and transfer any importnat data over to the new install.

If you need help we can guide you through the process.

14 minutes ago, shady86 said:

Just reformat or reset if you are using Windows 10 should do the trick.

The OP mentions Win7. Win7 has no real reset option. Besides which, if the PC is infected with something nasty then even a reset may not be enough.

I agree installing it from scratch would be the best.

If you don't want to do that get an anti-virus CD or USB stick, boot from that and clean your hard disk.

You should make that disk with up to date signatures on a different PC which is virus free.

It's easy, it just takes time.

The problem with just running virus scans is that much remote access software is entirely legitimate and so may not show up as being virus-like.

If you dont know the names of all such software, and if you dont know where to look, it may not be easy to spot them.

Hence the suggestion to reinstall everything afresh.

On 2/3/2019 at 2:36 AM, katana said:

Who was the expert who connected to your computer via remote assistance?

Did they just contact you at random telling you there was something wrong with your computer?

Yes they did. I can't remember and have no record, otherwise I would definitely report them.

I was struggling to do something and they popped up with the offer of assistance out of the blue. I watched them perform the task on my keypad / computer, then they asked for £158 for 2 minutes effort. Hence the problem, cos I was certainly not paying that. I'm guessing they had some link with Microsoft.

4 minutes ago, Tofer said:
On 2/3/2019 at 2:36 AM, katana said:

Who was the expert who connected to your computer via remote assistance?

Did they just contact you at random telling you there was something wrong with your computer?

4 minutes ago, Tofer said:

Yes they did. I can't remember and have no record, otherwise I would definitely report them. 

I was struggling to do something and they popped up with the offer of assistance out of the blue. I watched them perform the task on my keypad / computer, then they asked for £158 for 2 minutes effort. Hence the problem, cos I was certainly not paying that. I'm guessing they had some link with Microsoft.

i would strongly suggest you change every password for every account you have right now. banks. email. everything. hurry. don't do it on that computer. it is no longer under your control. 

On 2/3/2019 at 8:10 AM, KittenKong said:

The problem with just running virus scans is that much remote access software is entirely legitimate and so may not show up as being virus-like.

If you dont know the names of all such software, and if you dont know where to look, it may not be easy to spot them.

Hence the suggestion to reinstall everything afresh.

Correct, I don't believe it's a virus as they are into my settings and making adjustments / standing instructions, such as 'switch off Windows defender on each log in and the 'delete files' automatically. 

When I reset Windows defender and run a search, it comes up with 'no infected files / programmes'.

Did the OP ever install any malware protection on his device?   No?   Good idea to do that.

First step  to take is some   basic protection from attack.   There're  many who want to attack your device.

Second step is never utilize unsolicited help from  any agent about whom you know nothing.   You may think they're from the UK  but there are hundreds of videos on YouTube of  such scams.   Only rely on help you seek.

Indian tech scammers strike again. Try to do a "system restore" and revert your system back to a date before it happened, change any important passwords and never let anyone remotely access your computer unless you're absolutely certain you can trust them. You're lucky they didn't syskey you.

1 minute ago, Greyhat said:

Indian tech scammers strike again. Try to do a "system restore" and revert your system back to a date before it happened, change any important passwords and never let anyone remotely access your computer unless you're absolutely certain you can trust them. You're lucky they didn't syskey you.

What is syskey?

1 minute ago, Tofer said:

What is syskey?

It's when you need to enter a password to start your computer. A password the scammer has created and will blackmail you into paying to get. For more information there's a million videos on "tech support scammers"

All your comments are noted and very much appreciated.

6 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Especially FREE virus scams.

But how do you know which ones you can trust?

I get very nervous when my computer pops up with the message 'do not switch off as updates are loading'.

On 2/2/2019 at 7:16 PM, JamJar said:

Use the opportunity to fit an inexpensive solid state drive to your PC and then clean install the operating system to it. This way you will not have to waste any time having to back up important data. Your PC will fly with the new SSD.

Then you can connect the old hard drive via USB and transfer any importnat data over to the new install.

If you need help we can guide you through the process.

Are you a service organisation? If so, where are you located?

when you say 'fit an SSD, is that an internal hardware amendment or an external cable fed accessory?

7 minutes ago, Greyhat said:

It's when you need to enter a password to start your computer. A password the scammer has created and will blackmail you into paying to get. For more information there's a million videos on "tech support scammers"

I had that in the past from them. Then I got my local, trusted, computer technician to clean the machine up and remove my log in password, but they kept getting back in.

I presumed it was via my UK IP address which I had foolishly given them. But this is what puzzles me, as I'm now on a completely different IPaddress and country, but they are still messing with my computer.

How do they get into it?

I really appreciate all your advice.

But as I mentioned in the OP I am a technical dinosaur, and much of what is being stated is like a foreign language.

I will try again resetting to an earlier date and changing my email password, and all others, which is about the limit of my capabilities. But the problems tend to re-occur soon after.

How exactly are they getting into my computer is the real dilemma?

If anyone can recommend a technician who can fix everything I would happily revert to them for assistance.

34 minutes ago, Tofer said:

I really appreciate all your advice.

But as I mentioned in the OP I am a technical dinosaur, and much of what is being stated is like a foreign language.

I will try again resetting to an earlier date and changing my email password, and all others, which is about the limit of my capabilities. But the problems tend to re-occur soon after.

How exactly are they getting into my computer is the real dilemma?

If anyone can recommend a technician who can fix everything I would happily revert to them for assistance.

I fully understand your "technical dinosaur" comment. Like me, and like somebody suggested, you need a local, hands-on tech.

Am sincerely sorry to hear of your problems...but had to have a little smile to myself ..You write.. .." Please understand I am a bit of a dinosaur where technology is concerned"

Having read your full post I thought to myself.. "What does that meke me"?...most of it went way above my head, 555.

PS...hope it all works out well for you.

2 hours ago, Tofer said:

presumed it was via my UK IP address which I had foolishly given them. But this is what puzzles me, as I'm now on a completely different IPaddress and country, but they are still messing with my computer.

How do they get into it?

Once remote-access software is installed it can be made to report back to a central server and to provide the current IP address. Commercial remote access software works like that, so it isnt limited to malware or hacker tools. In this way it can be easy for someone to log into your machine even if they dont know where you are, once the machine is set up to allow it.

Considering your computer skills.... just ditch your computer. Get an iPad w/Keyboard or get a Chromebook. 

Seriously many of you folks on here probably don’t need a traditional laptop anymore. Especially with the complexity of scams, virus and hacks out there. You’ll be much better served with an iPad or a Chromebook. 

I don't know the manufacturer of your laptop, but there are certainly repair agencies that can clean and re-install programmes for you.

Over the years, I have used Samsung and HP/Compaq Service agents here in CM, (for three of the computers/laptops I've had over the years and the last one I have used is the Acer Service Centre.

So that's 4 different computers and 3 Service Agencies, (HP&Compaq are the same agency here) and I have been pleasantly satisfied with service and the prices quoted.

I'm a dinosaur also. I would advise you to at least look at them if there is an Service centre for your machine. Up to you, of course, but that is what I would do.

Your computer may have a windows restore partition on it. Usually accessed by continually pressing a fn key immediately after computer has switch on button pressed after a complete shutdown not just sleep mode. What's your model? Usually printed underside. Google the model number with "how to factory reset restore windows" you can do it yourself.

Also I don't recommend having antivirus on computer permanently.

They end up doing more harm from my 10 years experience in repair shop. Sensible browsing is a much better protector. But the industry still pushes scare tactics so they are popular. Did you have antivirus? Did it stop this problem from occuring?

If you are wanting to go for an SSD I have a 250gb SSD Samsung brand for sale. PM me if you are wanting to use SSD. The guys on this forum will tell you what's a fair price for one.

It will speed up computer. For example boot up time will go from around 30 sec. To 10 seconds. Strongly recommended.

Good luck

2 hours ago, DaveBKK said:

Considering your computer skills.... just ditch your computer. Get an iPad w/Keyboard or get a Chromebook. 

Seriously many of you folks on here probably don’t need a traditional laptop anymore. Especially with the complexity of scams, virus and hacks out there. You’ll be much better served with an iPad or a Chromebook. 

This is good advice for many of the older guys on here.  Alternatively take your windows based computers and ask someone to replace windows with Linux (I recommend Linux Mint).   I doubt most of the older guys need windows, all they really need is a browser these days. 

5 hours ago, Tofer said:

That a scam. I get them periodically after visiting the peculiar news article websites. I would not only change all of the passwords but wifi passwords as well. Additionally, I recommend have two different virus/ malware programs on personal computers. 

Archived