Computer hacked - help!

Tofer

It does sound like the OP used the factory restore option that retains some settings and files, including the dodgy ones.

Once doing factory restore again but selecting the complete restore option, i'd be surprised if he saw the same issues once the complete restore option finished. 

Take your backups to an internet cafe and scan them there. Don't risk plugging them into the freshly installed system.

Also I'm curious why the OP had trouble with getting into the restore menu first time?

Perhaps not pressing F10 for long enough?

Hope you can get into it again without issues.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for the delay in rejoining the discussions, but I had to make a trip away and then got sick on my return.

A bit better now, so I will have another go at the complete restore option on my F10 key, and let you know the outcome.

Thanks to all for your patience and guidance.

31 minutes ago, Tofer said:

Sorry for the delay in rejoining the discussions, but I had to make a trip away and then got sick on my return.

A bit better now, so I will have another go at the complete restore option on my F10 key, and let you know the outcome.

Thanks to all for your patience and guidance.

But then you might lose stuff that you may wish to keep. Plus the Windows 7 installation will be waaaaaay out of date. Pre SP1.

Go SSD in the first instance.

1 minute ago, KneeDeep said:

But then you might lose stuff that you may wish to keep. Plus the Windows 7 installation will be waaaaaay out of date. Pre SP1.

Go SSD in the first instance.

That's exactly what's happened, as I get an out of date notice for W7 and update to SP1, also an option to upgrade to windows 10 but I can't do that without Internet explorer connection. 

7 minutes ago, Tofer said:

That's exactly what's happened, as I get an out of date notice for W7 and update to SP1, also an option to upgrade to windows 10 but I can't do that without Internet explorer connection. 

You can, but it is all a tremendous waste of time. But since you have decided to follow stud858's advice, best to continue along the path.

I have advised you differently many times, so I'll give it a rest and let you do what you want to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again everyone -  Knee Deep, I think one and all of us should give great thanks to you and the others who try to assist all of us who are lost in Computer Hell.  I do believe that the PC has evolved to the point that mere humans with just a few skills need to do what DaveBKK suggested on Feb 9:

-

Move all your pics / docs to iPad. Chuck the PC. 

- Get a Chromebook, move all files there. Chuck the PC.

I hope I won't bore you all with my little story but I feel like telling it........

My background in computing started in 1983 when my Boss, His wife and daughter, and I traveled 90 miles from our small town to Sacramento, to visit the IBM office where we would purchase our first computer.  We left, hearts aflutter, with a computer and printer.....can't remember the specs exactly but I think the computer had five mb of memory and we purchased an additional ten to add to it.  Also we purchased a 15 character a minute dot matrix printer.   (specs on all are from my damaged memory).  Total cost a cool $15,000. The next day I installed a portion of the accounting software package and we were off and crawling.  Many years later we had grown from 11 employees to 50.  Our little IBM had morphed into an IBM Sys 36 and couple dozen pc's.  Our industry (telephones) then grew some more and we moved from the IBM to H/P servers and dumb terminals for most of the staff.  I installed our first "network" myself and was able to perform basic maintenance for our DOS computers and had hired a network manager to take care of the bigger things going on.  We had spent 1.5 million dollars designing and implementing a billing system for our Telco.......long story but it is very complicated.  I'm proud to say after a year and a half, a couple of staff mutinies and the support of the worlds best Boss,  we turn the billing system on in November of 1992. It amazingly is still in operation to this day, after continuous modification and tweaking.   

Needless to say, I've made my way through too many PC's, laptops, Chromebooks and tablets to count over the years......most of the time I had my trusted network manager to handle the things I broke and to install any major new software for me.  Long gone are the days when I could take the case off my PC, fix it, add parts to it etc.  I tried to take the cover off my laptop a couple of weeks ago and couldn't even find the tool at the hardware store for the screws!   Sorry for the long story but at 75, all I have left are long stories and fading memories.......point being, back to DaveBKK, I don't think it's necessarily a lack of skill many of us face now, but a lack of training and the time or willingness to sort through the morass that Windows 10 is.  I tried to take my two computers back to Win 7, then Win 8 then 8.1......each time I ended up with a complete disaster...and many kinds of them.  I'm now sitting here with a new Lenovo that I've put 12 gig of Ram in and I think 500 gig of Rom.......hope I haven't got RAM and ROM mixed up!

I have one problem left.....my H/P 2600 printer.....which we all probably know is about a two minute job to install........Sorry!  Now it's tied to my wireless network and unless I'm willing to bow to the God of Microsoft, I am unable to get it to work wirelessly.   I had my old Dell running like a clock with Win 7 Pro, and the printer actually working wirelessly........until I brought the new Lenovo home and hooked it up to the modem with Win 8.1.....the shop didn't have a usable copy of Win 7 or 7 Pro for it.  Seems like that blew everything up.  Then in the midst of that my mouse driver kept disappearing....had to download new ones twice from Logitech.....O.K.    sorry, sorry....got started now and can't stop.

In any case this is the end and thanks if anyone bothered to read this.......it was good therapy.  I have now vowed to pick up the computer if it breaks and haul it down to the shop!  Let them deal with it......

On 3/7/2019 at 1:47 PM, TGIR said:

Hello again everyone -  Knee Deep, I think one and all of us should give great thanks to you and the others who try to assist all of us who are lost in Computer Hell.  I do believe that the PC has evolved to the point that mere humans with just a few skills need to do what DaveBKK suggested on Feb 9:

-

I hope I won't bore you all with my little story but I feel like telling it........

My background in computing started in 1983 when my Boss, His wife and daughter, and I traveled 90 miles from our small town to Sacramento, to visit the IBM office where we would purchase our first computer.  We left, hearts aflutter, with a computer and printer.....can't remember the specs exactly but I think the computer had five mb of memory and we purchased an additional ten to add to it.  Also we purchased a 15 character a minute dot matrix printer.   (specs on all are from my damaged memory).  Total cost a cool $15,000. The next day I installed a portion of the accounting software package and we were off and crawling.  Many years later we had grown from 11 employees to 50.  Our little IBM had morphed into an IBM Sys 36 and couple dozen pc's.  Our industry (telephones) then grew some more and we moved from the IBM to H/P servers and dumb terminals for most of the staff.  I installed our first "network" myself and was able to perform basic maintenance for our DOS computers and had hired a network manager to take care of the bigger things going on.  We had spent 1.5 million dollars designing and implementing a billing system for our Telco.......long story but it is very complicated.  I'm proud to say after a year and a half, a couple of staff mutinies and the support of the worlds best Boss,  we turn the billing system on in November of 1992. It amazingly is still in operation to this day, after continuous modification and tweaking.   

Needless to say, I've made my way through too many PC's, laptops, Chromebooks and tablets to count over the years......most of the time I had my trusted network manager to handle the things I broke and to install any major new software for me.  Long gone are the days when I could take the case off my PC, fix it, add parts to it etc.  I tried to take the cover off my laptop a couple of weeks ago and couldn't even find the tool at the hardware store for the screws!   Sorry for the long story but at 75, all I have left are long stories and fading memories.......point being, back to DaveBKK, I don't think it's necessarily a lack of skill many of us face now, but a lack of training and the time or willingness to sort through the morass that Windows 10 is.  I tried to take my two computers back to Win 7, then Win 8 then 8.1......each time I ended up with a complete disaster...and many kinds of them.  I'm now sitting here with a new Lenovo that I've put 12 gig of Ram in and I think 500 gig of Rom.......hope I haven't got RAM and ROM mixed up!

I have one problem left.....my H/P 2600 printer.....which we all probably know is about a two minute job to install........Sorry!  Now it's tied to my wireless network and unless I'm willing to bow to the God of Microsoft, I am unable to get it to work wirelessly.   I had my old Dell running like a clock with Win 7 Pro, and the printer actually working wirelessly........until I brought the new Lenovo home and hooked it up to the modem with Win 8.1.....the shop didn't have a usable copy of Win 7 or 7 Pro for it.  Seems like that blew everything up.  Then in the midst of that my mouse driver kept disappearing....had to download new ones twice from Logitech.....O.K.    sorry, sorry....got started now and can't stop.

In any case this is the end and thanks if anyone bothered to read this.......it was good therapy.  I have now vowed to pick up the computer if it breaks and haul it down to the shop!  Let them deal with it......

My girlfriend connected my old HP printer to her Windows 10 laptop without any help from me.

Prints stuff directly from her iPad.

Maybe the Lenovo utilises UEFI and USB 3.0, so you need a bit of savvy to install Windows 7 in the first instance. Not something they have much of in the repair shops in Thailand.

I haven't had any major issues with Windows 10. What issues exactly are you having? Your writings are somewhat vague and and a bit confusing.

Archived