Learnt some Buddhist teachings today

sanemax

A procession was going by and a vehicle had a loud speaker attached , (very loud BTW) and they gave some info about Buddhism : "Dont get angry or be concerned about other peoples failures/mistakes as this will have  detrimental effect on your mental well being"

And I thought to myself , thats hit the nail on the head about what is wrong with Thai society , people dont get annoyed or comment on other peoples mistakes , so those people just go through life continually making those mistakes without knowing or trying to correct those mistakes and people will happily do things wrong , because no one else will be concerned .

15 hours ago, sanemax said:

Dont get angry or be concerned about other peoples failures/mistakes as this will have  detrimental effect on your mental well being"

I agree with that, it's absolutely spot on.

Why should i waste my peace of mind for your mistakes and failures ?

And why would you bother to correct anyone you think are doing something wrong ?

Or do you think you have a solution for any problem in this world ?

.. Of course, that is not a dogma, and every rule has exceptions, but i think, in general, that's a good advice.

13 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I agree with that, it's absolutely spot on.

Why should i waste my peace of mind for your mistakes and failures ?

And why would you bother to correct anyone you think are doing something wrong ?

Or do you think you have a solution for any problem in this world ?

.. Of course, that is not a dogma, and every rule has exceptions, but i think, in general, that's a good advice.

Because then people make the same mistakes day in day out without trying to do things right and society doesnt improve , you just get people going around doing things wrong and be unconcerned about any consequences . 

That may explain as to why Thai roads are so dangerous 

13 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Up to You........most used Thia phrase.

And the most infuriating .

Everything being "Up to you"

OK. I will just do what I want to do , be unconcerned about what anyone else wants .

Just be selfish and inconsiderate .

9 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Because then people make the same mistakes day in day out without trying to do things right and society doesnt improve , you just get people going around doing things wrong and be unconcerned about any consequences . 

That may explain as to why Thai roads are so dangerous 

Apparently you have time on your hands, and that's a blessing imho, so, why don't you use the precious time to improve yourself instead of criticising other people's mistakes, which might be just in your imagination, btw.

If you don't like Thai roads, stay away from them, just doing that the roads will be less crowded, thus less dangerous.

4 minutes ago, farcanell said:

A Thai phase, you say.

sounds 100% Christian, and how it is determined who goes to heaven and who goes to hell.... it’s called self determination

And for us non-Christians who do not believe in Heaven or Hell or JC.

3 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Apparently you have time on your hands, and that's a blessing imho, so, why don't you use the precious time to improve yourself instead of criticising other people's mistakes, which might be just in your imagination, btw.

If you don't like Thai roads, stay away from them, just doing that the roads will be less crowded, thus less dangerous.

I do not think sanemax is the one causing most of the accidents. 

Wonder who it could be then?

14 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Up to You........most used Thia phrase.

I think Mai Ben Rai beats it out...

But given Thai is a tonal language Mai Ben Rai can mean either “not a problem” or “not my problem” depending on the tone... :coffee1:

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

I do not think sanemax is the one causing most of the accidents. 

Wonder who it could be then?

Well, if some of you want to start a "Thailand road-safety crusade", it's ok for me, i might even support you.

I just wonder if the buddhism subforum is the right place to do that ????

7 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

And for us non-Christians who do not believe in Heaven or Hell or JC.

Lol... Us non Christians get screwed over by society that installs and enforces laws, counter to the theory of self determination....

however, in a society without laws, and sans religion, you get to run amuck, as eternal consequence isn’t a consideration

32 minutes ago, sanemax said:

OK. I will just do what I want to do , be unconcerned about what anyone else wants .

the best way to deal with 'up to you' is to say; yea, it is up to me - that takes the wind out of their sails, or you can turn it around and direct the 'up to you' back at them - they dont like that one bit as it implies taking responsibility for their actions/decisions, a nono for many thais.

i find the whole 'up to you' business highly amusing.

21 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, if some of you want to start a "Thailand road-safety crusade", it's ok for me, i might even support you.

I just wonder if the buddhism subforum is the right place to do that ????

If many of the drivers here believe that an Amulet or two will take the place of safe driving, then it possibly is in a suitable forum.

But I do apologise for not being more observant in the OP.

My father always told me: You can't count another man's time or money. So why bother.

Buddhist teaching aim to eliminate 'suffering'. Maybe a better term for this is discontent. If you spend you time and energy concerning yourself with others behaviors / thinking, etc you will surely find discontent.

47 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I do not think you see this the way it is intented.

52 minutes ago, sanemax said:

If you do, can we expect a drop-off in your posts then?

(not really) Concerned of (not in) Runcorn

33 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Yes, I dont drive any vehicle .

Other peoples mistakes effect me and I usually end up trying to fix the problems that those mistakes cause .

17 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

If many of the drivers here believe that an Amulet or two will take the place of safe driving, then it possibly is in a suitable forum.

But I do apologise for not being more observant in the OP.

Well, as far as i know, Lord Buddha never said "Get an amulet and drive like a moron", so amulets, and more so reckless driving, don't belong to Buddhism.

But, i think "sanemax" was discussing a general principle, which, in other words, is "live and let live".

12 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes, I dont drive any vehicle .

Other peoples mistakes effect me and I usually end up trying to fix the problems that those mistakes cause .

Fair enough, i was just pointing at the fact that there is nothing like an 'easy fix', and, as our time is not infinite, it's wiser to improve ourselves.

Anger might be inappropriate for error if was honest mistake or it might exacerbate situation. Also raises stress level of both parties.

"Or be concerned" could merely reiterate "don't get angry" if concern refers to taking in the anger as one's own concern. So I don't know the context. It might neither have referred to the mistake maker nor results of mistake.

Thai Buddhism is not about magical thinking. But Thais combine Buddhism with tradition of animism, which allows for magical thinking so amulet more likely from that.

This might relate to Buddhism directly in that anger can lead to fighting and thus loss of life, to wrong speech by saying in anger, and to drinking to relieve the stress, all violations of precepts. 

Archived