BANGKOK 18 February 2019 13:11
sanemax

Learnt some Buddhist teachings today

My father always told me: You can't count another man's time or money. So why bother.

Buddhist teaching aim to eliminate 'suffering'. Maybe a better term for this is discontent. If you spend you time and energy concerning yourself with others behaviors / thinking, etc you will surely find discontent.

47 minutes ago, sanemax said:

And the most infuriating .

Everything being "Up to you"

OK. I will just do what I want to do , be unconcerned about what anyone else wants .

Just be selfish and inconsiderate .

I do not think you see this the way it is intented.

52 minutes ago, sanemax said:

And the most infuriating .

Everything being "Up to you"

OK. I will just do what I want to do , be unconcerned about what anyone else wants .

Just be selfish and inconsiderate .

If you do, can we expect a drop-off in your posts then?

(not really) Concerned of (not in) Runcorn

Edited by NanLaew
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Apparently you have time on your hands, and that's a blessing imho, so, why don't you use the precious time to improve yourself instead of criticising other people's mistakes, which might be just in your imagination, btw.

If you don't like Thai roads, stay away from them, just doing that the roads will be less crowded, thus less dangerous.

Yes, I dont drive any vehicle .

Other peoples mistakes effect me and I usually end up trying to fix the problems that those mistakes cause .

17 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

If many of the drivers here believe that an Amulet or two will take the place of safe driving, then it possibly is in a suitable forum.

But I do apologise for not being more observant in the OP.

Well, as far as i know, Lord Buddha never said "Get an amulet and drive like a moron", so amulets, and more so reckless driving, don't belong to Buddhism.

But, i think "sanemax" was discussing a general principle, which, in other words, is "live and let live".

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes, I dont drive any vehicle .

Other peoples mistakes effect me and I usually end up trying to fix the problems that those mistakes cause .

Fair enough, i was just pointing at the fact that there is nothing like an 'easy fix', and, as our time is not infinite, it's wiser to improve ourselves.

Anger might be inappropriate for error if was honest mistake or it might exacerbate situation. Also raises stress level of both parties.

"Or be concerned" could merely reiterate "don't get angry" if concern refers to taking in the anger as one's own concern. So I don't know the context. It might neither have referred to the mistake maker nor results of mistake.

Thai Buddhism is not about magical thinking. But Thais combine Buddhism with tradition of animism, which allows for magical thinking so amulet more likely from that.

This might relate to Buddhism directly in that anger can lead to fighting and thus loss of life, to wrong speech by saying in anger, and to drinking to relieve the stress, all violations of precepts.