Assault report '100 percent factual', 'Empire' actor Smollett says

rooster59

Assault report '100 percent factual', 'Empire' actor Smollett says

By Barbara Goldberg

800x800 (1).jpg

FILE PHOTO: 2017 BET Awards – Photo Room – Los Angeles, California, U.S., 25/06/2017 - Jussie Smollett. REUTERS/Danny Moloshok/File Photo

(Reuters) - Actor Jussie Smollett defended as completely truthful the account he gave of being accosted on a Chicago street by men who used racist and homophobic slurs and said on Friday he was cooperating with police.

The statement was the first Smollett has made publicly about the alleged assault since media reports about it first surfaced on Tuesday. The matter is being investigated by Chicago police as a possible hate crime.

News of the bizarre incident spread quickly on social media, with many expressing outrage while others suggested it was a hoax after police were unable to find videotape of the attack Smollett said he sustained.

"I am working with authorities and have been 100 percent factual and consistent on every level," Smollett said in the statement.

Chicago police said in a statement emailed to Reuters on Thursday the actor had refused to turn over his cellphone records to detectives, although law enforcement officials later said he was working with investigators.

Smollett and his manager have both told police they were on the phone together when the actor, an openly gay African-American who plays a gay character on "Empire," was accosted on a street early on Tuesday by two men shouting racial and homophobic slurs.

According to Smollett's account, his assailants doused him with a chemical liquid before wrapping a rope around his neck and fleeing the scene. The actor took himself to a hospital but was not seriously hurt, police said.

Police said they sought phone records to independently verify that Smollett was on the phone at the time with his manager, who reportedly told police he heard the attackers saying "This is MAGA country" in an apparent reference to President Donald Trump's "Make America Great Again" slogan.

"Cellphone records were not provided to investigators when asked," Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said. "The victim didn't provide them."

However, he also said the police had "no reason to doubt" the accounts of both Smollett and his manager that they were on the phone together at the time of the alleged attack.

Another police spokesman, Officer Michael Carroll, said in a later email: "The victim is working with police as we investigate the circumstances of the incident."

Questions raised about the veracity of his account were troubling, Smollett said in his statement, especially since "these types of cowardly attacks are happening to my sisters, brothers and non-gender-conforming siblings daily."

Kristen Clarke, president of the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, said some of the statements made by Chicago police sought to undermine the credibility of Smollett's allegations.

"So far, Chicago Police have risked discouraging other survivors of hate crimes from coming forward," said Clarke, whose organization seeks to secure equal justice for all.

Several dozen people attended a rally for Smollett in New York on Friday evening organized by gay rights groups.

Danielle Perkins, an 18-year-old Brooklyn resident who will soon be heading to college to study journalism, said she came to the rally because Smollett reminded her of what she described as her own sense of vulnerability.

"I think being gay and black in this country, it's very difficult to get jobs, to live life, just to cross the street," Perkins said. "It seems like we're just going backwards to the '60s again."

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-02-02

800x800 (1).jpg

Donald Trump has energized violent bigots including those allegedly behind a horrific attack on actor Jussie Smollett, who was attacked last week in Chicago in what authorities are investigating as a possible hate crime, civil rights leader Jesse Jackson has told the Guardian. “The spirit of demeaning and bullying has been revived,” Jackson said in a phone interview, adding that he believed Trump was pushing the country towards “a crisis”. 

Smollett, who is black and gay, was allegedly attacked on Tuesday in Chicago, where he lives while filming the hit Fox drama series Empire, by two men in ski masks. According to Chicago police, the alleged assailants yelled “racial and homophobic slurs” at the actor, battered him, and poured an “unknown chemical substance” on him. They then tied a noose around his neck and, according to Smollett, yelled “this is Maga country” – an apparent reference to Trump’s “Make America Great Again” slogan.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/feb/02/jesse-jackson-interview-jussie-smollett-hate-violence-us

Jackson is spot on, with his assessment of Trump's hatred of anything brown, and the effect it is having on his devotees. There is no place for racism and hatred in politics and Trump has become the divider in chief. An ugly man, with a black heart is making the world an uglier place. 

I keep saying as a white American man, that the greatest danger facing America today, are white American males. Forget about the border. The danger lurks right at home. Sorry, but a percentage of white American men are really, really nasty people, who are blinded by hatred and prejudice. Trump seems to be exacerbating that situation, and giving them license to be felonious. 

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Donald Trump has energized violent bigots including those allegedly behind a horrific attack on actor Jussie Smollett, who was attacked last week in Chicago in what authorities are investigating as a possible hate crime, civil rights leader Jesse Jackson has told the Guardian. “The spirit of demeaning and bullying has been revived,” Jackson said in a phone interview, adding that he believed Trump was pushing the country towards “a crisis”. 

Smollett, who is black and gay, was allegedly attacked on Tuesday in Chicago, where he lives while filming the hit Fox drama series Empire, by two men in ski masks. According to Chicago police, the alleged assailants yelled “racial and homophobic slurs” at the actor, battered him, and poured an “unknown chemical substance” on him. They then tied a noose around his neck and, according to Smollett, yelled “this is Maga country” – an apparent reference to Trump’s “Make America Great Again” slogan.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/feb/02/jesse-jackson-interview-jussie-smollett-hate-violence-us

Jackson is spot on, with his assessment of Trump's hatred of anything brown, and the effect it is having on his devotees. There is no place for racism and hatred in politics and Trump has become the divider in chief. An ugly man, with a black heart is making the world an uglier place. 

I keep saying as a white American man, that the greatest danger facing America today, are white American males. Forget about the border. The danger lurks right at home. Sorry, but a percentage of white American men are really, really nasty people, who are blinded by hatred and prejudice. Trump seems to be exacerbating that situation, and giving them license to be felonious. 

Unfortunately prejudice and bigotry know no borders.   Until people stop differentiating based on color, heritage or sexual orientation it will continue to exist.   Strangely you appear to be doing just that.

18 hours ago, tlandtday said:

Unfortunately prejudice and bigotry know no borders.   Until people stop differentiating based on color, heritage or sexual orientation it will continue to exist.   Strangely you appear to be doing just that.

Well, you can accuse me of differentiating based on color, but I am just stating what appears to be factual. And as a white man, I cannot be accused of being racist, when discussing white people. I can say anything I want about my race, and it is not considered racism, right? It is hard to argue that white people do not pose a real menace to society. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hows that story working out for you 

On 2/3/2019 at 12:47 PM, spidermike007 said:

Hows that story working out for you now Spidermike? He ticked all the boxes for you didnt he....gay...black....as Sherlock Holmes used to say to Watson..."evidence Watson, evidence" 

Too easy to jump on the virtue signalling bandwagon I guess....

On 2/3/2019 at 12:47 PM, spidermike007 said:

Aren't Trumps kids all married to non-whites?

2 hours ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

Hows that story working out for you 

Hows that story working out for you now Spidermike? He ticked all the boxes for you didnt he....gay...black....as Sherlock Holmes used to say to Watson..."evidence Watson, evidence" 

Too easy to jump on the virtue signalling bandwagon I guess....

You will never hear a retraction.  Never.  I believe that the loudest virtue signalers are deflecting attention away from something they are trying to hide about themselves.

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:47 AM, spidermike007 said:

I keep saying as a white American man, that the greatest danger facing America today, are white American males.

I cant even imagine what is going on inside someone's noggin that would make a person type such a patently ridiculous statement.

The danger lurks right at home. Sorry, but a percentage of white American men are really, really nasty people, who are blinded by hatred and prejudice.

Virtue signalling | HOW  WHITE  PEOPLE  FEEL WHEN  THEY   VIRTUE  SIGNAL | image tagged in virtue signalling,white | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 8:33 AM, spidermike007 said:

Well, you can accuse me of differentiating based on color, but I am just stating what appears to be factual. And as a white man, I cannot be accused of being racist, when discussing white people. I can say anything I want about my race, and it is not considered racism, right? It is hard to argue that white people do not pose a real menace to society. 

I'm so confused. How, exactly, are "white people" a "real menace to society" and:

that the greatest danger facing America today, are white American males

???

PS:

Two law enforcement sources with knowledge of the investigation tell CNN that Chicago Police believe actor Jussie Smollett paid two men to orchestrate an assault on him that he reported late last month.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/police-sources-new-evidence-suggests-jussie-smollett-orchestrated-attack/ar-BBTGyvn?OCID=ansmsnnews11

4 hours ago, Thainesss said:

I cant even imagine what is going on inside someone's noggin that would make a person type such a patently ridiculous statement.

Virtue signalling | HOW  WHITE  PEOPLE  FEEL WHEN  THEY   VIRTUE  SIGNAL | image tagged in virtue signalling,white | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

Simple truth. If you do not think alot of white men in America are scary, dangerous, homicidal, and crazy, you have not been spending much time there lately. Who commits most bank fraud? Wire fraud? Extortion? How about drug use? Heard of the opioid epidemic? Do you assume it is all black and Hispanic? No. Primarily whites. And why is it that white men have such a hard time admitting how homicidal their race is? I don't. 

For the white community, it was the opioid epidemic. The market for opioids has absolutely exploded, and any time an illicit drug market expands, it tends to bring with it a lot of misery. In this case, whites, forming a disproportionate share of the market for opioid use, are bearing the biggest brunt of that misery.

https://www.google.com/amp/nymag.com/intelligencer/amp/2018/01/the-white-and-black-murder-rates-are-both-rising.html

4 hours ago, Thainesss said:

I'm so confused. How, exactly, are "white people" a "real menace to society" and:

???

PS:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/police-sources-new-evidence-suggests-jussie-smollett-orchestrated-attack/ar-BBTGyvn?OCID=ansmsnnews11

The vast majority of opioid addiction is among white folks. What kind of behavior is that leading to? For the past two years, the murder rates of, and by whites is up significantly. Why do white men have such a hard time admitting that a portion of their race is homicidal and criminal? How about bank fraud? Hacking? The World Bank. The Trump family. LOL. Want me to go on? Who commits most white collar crime? Read up on it. White people are scary. And I say this as a white man who has no problem seeing how much trouble my race is creating. 

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

If you do not think alot of white men in America are scary, dangerous, homicidal, and crazy, you have not been spending much time there lately. Who commits most bank fraud? Wire fraud? Extortion? How about drug use? Heard of the opioid epidemic? Do you assume it is all black and Hispanic? No. Primarily whites. And why is it that white men have such a hard time admitting how homicidal their race is? I don't. 

Absolutely shocking hate speech and blatant racism. You have used Smollett's fake hate crime to bash white people, and after you have been proven to have wrongly rushed to conclusions you still don't give up.  You are just as bad as him. Try writing what you wrote - but about anybody other than white men and you would be facing prison in many countries. Rightly so. These days hate speech such as yours is illegal.

This is getting funnier and funnier. So the Nigerian brothers now claim they all REHEARSED the "attack" some days before. Case will go to grand jury. This is classic comedy.

Abimbola 'Abel' and Olabinjo 'Ola' Osundairo, who are cooperating with investigators, reportedly told detectives that they did a practice run days before 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6714489/Empire-star-Jussie-Smollett-allegedly-REHEARSED-hoax-attack-two-Nigerian-brothers.html

Damn!!! and there was me thinking I could discuss how OUTRAGED  I was over a $17.50 soy latte with all my female 'friends' I mean....Smollet was perfect...simply perfect...

1) Black

2) Gay

3) Undoubtedly a Democrat voting Hillary supporter type (perhaps even an EVERYTHING IS FREE Sanders supporter)

4) Two supposed white attackers

5) MAGA HATS!!!

6) I quote "THIS IS MAGA COUNTRY"........(cue tobacco spit)

.....and I didnt even need any evidence....just like with the #metoo movement....

1) Female victim

2) Horrible white men

3) RAPE!!!! 300 years ago in a location not remembered with very sketchy details when drunk.....

The retarded media in the US is trying to stoke so much division...and snowflakes just lap it up. Whatever happened to not judging a case untill ALL evidence is in?? I used to consider myself a liberal but these days there are too many morons that just follow the paradigm set by the likes of CNN et al. I remember when conservatism was to be scorned...in the 80's banning heavy metal albums etc. Now its the snowflake left. 

I am no real Trump supporter but the problem is you DONT have to be....but if you say ANYTHING that goes against this ridiculous paradigm that is around at the moment you are tarred with the 'racist Trump supporter' brush. This is how deep the 'Trump derangement syndrome' goes. I put some of the blame on pampered millennials that have such a presence on social media...but the flames are also being fanned by such dolts as Jessie Smollet....and its getting lapped up.

By the way, I know that not ALL milennials are rabid cultural Marxists. I know many that like to think more rationally and that can hear other opinions they dont like without having a hissy fit.

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Simple truth. If you do not think alot of white men in America are scary, dangerous, homicidal, and crazy, you have not been spending much time there lately. Who commits most bank fraud? Wire fraud? Extortion? How about drug use? Heard of the opioid epidemic? Do you assume it is all black and Hispanic? No. Primarily whites. And why is it that white men have such a hard time admitting how homicidal their race is? I don't. 

Im cringing so hard reading this. And I’m a white American millennial. 

You are race baiting in the extreme, and you REALLY don’t want to compare crime statistics between races. You will lose. FBI crime statistics are easily available on the web and obliterate your opinion. 

On 2/18/2019 at 12:23 AM, spidermike007 said:

What would be his point in making this up, or orchestrating this? Imagine the backlash if it is true? How humiliating. Would he have any career left? Cleaning windows, maybe. 

Smollett is all lawyered up, won't talk to police now. Guess we won't ever know why he paid these two guys to do whatever they did. Here's hoping he does three years in an Illinois prison.

2 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

Smollett is all lawyered up, won't talk to police now. Guess we won't ever know why he paid these two guys to do whatever they did. Here's hoping he does three years in an Illinois prison.

Hes got a warrant for a felony now, and the police are in communication with his lawyers to surrender himself. 

2 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

At a minimum his career is over. They may stick with him for the remainder of the season, but after that, he will be radioactive. Untouchable. He self sabotaged his career. He appears to be an idiot of epic proportions.

Archived