Synvisc

marmaduke

I wouldn't quite say that. it increases lubrication of the joint and this not only reduced pain but also reduces the trauma caused by bone rubbing in bone. It is temporary, of course, and has to be repeated. 

I haven't heard any reports of people getting this in Pattaya.  Suggest you call BPH,   ask to talk to a nurse i nthe ortho clinic and ask her. (Do nto just ask whoever answers the phone, they'll have no idea what Synvisc is and Thais will often revert to "no have" in that situation rather than try to figure it out.)

As to cost, probably around 30K. It's expensive.

BPH hospital has it. My surgeon who is also a professor highly recommends Synvisc.

Rodknock did you try Synvisc to come to your  conclusion or was it something you heard.

It has to be administered a properly. or it won't be as effective.

Buying 3 years time isn't bad IMO. Some people get even more than thta.

Certainly many of the people who have arthritis bad enough to need Synvisc will eventually need knee replacements if they live long enough. But it can delay that need, in some people for a long time. It is also IMO the best alternative  for those with risk factors making surgery contraindicated or who for other reasons do nto want to have surgery.

On 2/5/2019 at 7:31 PM, marmaduke said:

BPH hospital has it. My surgeon who is also a professor highly recommends Synvisc.

Rodknock did you try Synvisc to come to your  conclusion or was it something you heard.

It has to be administered a properly. or it won't be as effective.

It was effective for me when I had it done a few years ago, this because I had an operation on my elbow after years of playing tennis (badly) to remove some loose cartilage and bone chips.

I discussed the use of it on my elbow, rather than on knees, for which it is quite common in New Zealand given all of the rugby players there, and he said he had never used it as such, but he was willing to give it a go, if I was – – so I did!

I played tennis a couple of times a week during the summer for the next five years or more and can still play with no ill effects, so for me it worked tremendously well although the surgeon at the time said it was not a permanent fix, but it seemed like it in my case – – – and a couple of decades later, I can still play the odd game of tennis without any problems whatsoever.

My experience, for what it's worth.

I had a version of it, if not that actual brand,  not obvious effect,  though my OA was traumatic not  degenerative per se

somewhat like glucosamine, your going to get anectodal  affirmations aplenty,    IMO  that is what they are worth, but then much allopathic doesn't have the studies to support directly  what is done and to whom specifically .....

IMO just save your money .... there is also some real risk from sticking needles into your sterile capsule , probably small but not zero ...

Archived