Stoped Smoking But !

IvanLaw

Fot those of us STILL hooked the authorites are treating us more and more like lepars.

We just wonder what the next law to be enforced will be as to where we won't be allowed to get our "Fix" next will be?

It's definatley NOT COOL to be a smoker.

I really wish I had the willpower to stop killing myself !

I once stopped for 4 years...how stupid is that?....but there is the lesson, you only have to let your guard down ONCE and you ar right back where you started...but normally worse !

Good Luck to all of you going through the withdrawel process, it must be difficult for you,

I admire and envy you.

TP

Best of luck Ivan! For me when I gave 'em up cold turkey a few years ago, the worst was the first 3 weeks-much suffering. However the thought of going through the suffering and taking up the habit again was not justifiable.

You'll know you are cured of the habit, when you are around with smokers and smell their clothing and find it discusting to smell and start bitching about the cigarette smoke in the area.

best of luck to ya

• 2 months later...

I smoked for many years eight years ago I finaly did it I quit. That was after many times I tried. Last year I had a Heart attack which is the direact result of smoking for so many years. Its not just a matter of wanting to quit you real do have to stop killing yourself. and as I found out sooner is far better then later. You don't think it is harming you, but laying in ICU gett your heart restarted three time inside of five hours and yopu might then better understand that MUST STOP NOW :o

Two years ago I had a trip to the US scheduled. I decided that would be a good time to quit smoking. I quit for three LONG months and one night in a bar in Jomtien with my friends I started again. I was depressed because I wanted a smoke just as bad after the three months as I did after the first couple of days.

Now I'm going to try to quit again. Since I think my health is suffering from it maybe I can succeed.

....one night in a bar in Jomtien with my friends I started again.

How will you do it differently this time?

I don't think I truly believed that cigarettes were hurting me. My Dad is 86 years old and has smoked all his life. Last week I got the little motorbike almost stuck in the mud. It took a lot more effort than I am used to doing to get it out. It took at least 10 minutes to be able to breath normally again. I just couldn't catch my breath and was actually afraid that I might die. I think that was the wakeup that I needed. Fear is a great motivator.

Thanks for the replies and encouragement people

Just to clarify:

I am Male, Aged 56, living in UK with my Thai Wife.

Buddhist so quitting smoking is very important for Health & Belief.

I do not drink Alcohol, (Gave that up 8 years ago)

Work is very sedentary 90 % Desk bound

(Only real exercise I undertook was walking out side for a smoke!!!) :D

Weight has increased by nearly 12 Kg but eating about the same.

Not to worried, as interim weight gain is less hazardous than smoking. :bah:

I think that excludes snaking on sweets but I must try and fit in a moderate exercise program.

Possibly walking, swimming even cycling when a little fitter.

Previously worked in a Hospital and have observed Post Mortems,

Unbelievable the difference between a smokes lungs & Healthy lungs :D

BUT even that not put me off smoking. :o

Tried Nicotine Patches, Gum, Sweets etc but I think with me only hope is "Cold Turkey"

and a lot of patience from family

JUST SAY NO I'm trying :D

Regards

& good luck to all trying to stop

Ivan

:D

PS

re your message:

To MIO Biker Boyz

You Smoke because it's cool

I have children of my own but mine have grown up and left home so

Good Luck to you BUT When your parents have time and you are off school,

Go to see someone with emphysema.

Go to see lungs from a smoker X post mortem.

Work out how much it will cost you to smoke from,

When you are an adult until say 65 (If you manage to live that long)

Still Cool ?

Get a dog, a boxer or similar, you will need to walk him !

post-41326-1187188962_thumb.jpg

It took at least 10 minutes to be able to breath normally again. I just couldn't catch my breath and was actually afraid that I might die.

The smoking may have contributed to your strained breathing but it also sounds like you may be out of physical condition.

It may be time to get out your jogging shoes. :o

• 4 months later...

O BUM!! :D

All this time and not succumbed to temptation or craving

Just one day in Hospital and then waiting for results and I caved in

2 weeks later & Results for cancer now arrived and negative. :D

NOW TO START ALL OVER AGAIN TRYING TO STOP :o

Never mind, done it once so can do it again

(I HOPE)

:D

Started Smoking when I was 12 by Age14 20 a day

Aged 21 Married and smoking 40 + a day.

Tried a pipe to cut back and smoked a pipe for the next 35 years

December 2006 decided to give up, no real reason finished tobacco January 24

Now non smoker for a month and I am going crazy, Knotted stomach, short temper, weight gain 10 Kg

Told first month is the worst.

I really really hope so

No reply required,

Just thought it would help me to write

Rant over now back to sanity deeep breath

Think of how I am extending my life, Improving my health

(Still would murder for a smoke)

Good for u to stop smoking,,,it decreases the chance of heartattack and stroke. I seen a doctor about quiting and he showed me a chat and what the body goes through for the next 9 months circulation, tingliing feelinf withdrawls(mental, and physical)

with me both are still happening lightheaded numbness sometimes,,,thought somethig was wrong the doctor explaned to me many of the physical symptoms of withdrawn over a year,,,and when people say it is out of your system in 48 hours they are wrong takes years

Congratulations to you..........I really hope you manage to keep it up.

I gave up 7 years, 8 months and 10 days ago......it's not too bad now, although I sometimes dream I'm smoking and wake up feeling really guilty I rarely think about it. Don't be fooled though 'coz I know if I dropped my guard for a minute I'd accept an offered fag & I'd be away again.

I did it the "cold turkey" method mainly 'coz I didn't fancy any of the other stuff, the physical symptoms of giving up I didn't find too unpleasant but having smoked professionally (up to 60 a day.....Gitanes, a proper cigarette!) for nearly forty years I found it terribly hard to imagine myself never smoking again and I had to concentrate really hard at those points in the day when I always smoked.......like going for a pint with the lads and not having a smoke.

Yup, I put on loads of weight and then had to get the bloody stuff off again, which was a real bugger!

I do feel much better now and think that the effort was well worth it ................in fact I feel quite proud that I managed to quit and not a little smug when I'm with the poor fools who haven't got the will to stop.

Keep on going!

I quit smoking 25 years ago was going through 2 or threepacks a day and coughed all the time. Best thing I ever did health wise. Remember it is only today you have to get through without a cigarettte, don't worry about tomorrow. Good going you have made it through the toughest part it is all down hill from here.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
....one night in a bar in Jomtien with my friends I started again.

How will you do it differently this time?

I don't think I truly believed that cigarettes were hurting me. My Dad is 86 years old and has smoked all his life. Last week I got the little motorbike almost stuck in the mud. It took a lot more effort than I am used to doing to get it out. It took at least 10 minutes to be able to breath normally again. I just couldn't catch my breath and was actually afraid that I might die. I think that was the wakeup that I needed. Fear is a great motivator.

Hi Gary A. I had exactly the same experience and share your views.

I'v been a smoker for the last 25 years. but never tried to stop before (I loved it. Cancer was a remote perspective if I may say).

But 2 weeks ago, I've noticed that my breath was a kind of short, even after small physical exercise. Very unusual. So last thursday, I start to be afraid. I was seeing myself with a bottle of oxygen on a bed in a hospital... :o Therefore, I've decided to stop, on the spot, without any preparation of whatever. Since then... no smoke. :D

And honestly, I'm not going crazy. I think about it of course, particularily after dinner, but it's okay.

I really think that fear is the best mean to stop.

So voila, I'm going to stick to this decision.

Since i have fully given up smokes, i have lost weitht, got healthier and feel better. People commenting on how good you look etc.(i'm not niave) but its nice to get compliments. Keep it up people. It does get easier.

• 11 months later...

I'm on my day one of stopping now, another 4 hrs will make it a day.

It's bloody hard, but a friend of mine who stopped, and craved after a day or so came up with a great trick.

Get a small lidded jar, jam jar or the like. Put the contents of an ash-tray inside and fill with water. Keep in your pocket, or the place you like to smoke the most. Everytime you want a smoke, remove the lid and inhale deply, if that doesn't help, take a swig.

You will stop!!

We will see.

by the way, has anyone else noticed that it gets really hard to type when you haven't had a ciggie for a while??

• 1 month later...
I think maybe you have posted on the wrong forum?, :D

This is a forum to help people trying to STOP SMOKING & Not the I want to whinge against smoker’s forum

Nowadays you have to smoke tobacco in the same way one was smoking pot before: in hidden corners!

Like lepers our smoking friends are excluded from the human community, horrible!

In airports they have to sit in a kind of aquariums, like being on show.

It is possible to stop and not only by being the centerpoint on one's last BBQ and subsequently turn into ashes oneself.

In two weeks it's one year ago for me. I did it (sorry for the triumphant tone), but many years too late.

You have to do it anyhow (no, of course you don't, but in a way of speaking), so please don't wait, better now than 'later'.

1st of June one year ago shortly after midnight: a friend drove me to the hospital. I could hardly breathe or walk and had

certainly no energy to drive myself. I was grounded.

The doctor told me that many people died in the car because they arrived too late in the hospital with my symptoms.

I said: "uh....?"

When you come in time they can still make an opening in your breast and admit oxygen through that, if I understood

his story well.

OK, five days in hospital, so the first five days were already 'done'.

I knew there was no choice anymore and I actually managed after smoking for plusminus 47 years.

I knew I hadn't a choice anymore.

But for my generation COPD will be cause of death numer 3, maybe even 2 in some years and then it will go down again as the

younger non-smoking generations take over humanity again. COPD is caused by smoking in more than 80 % of the cases (= you

and me) if I got the numbers right.

Just as IvanLaw I have a good heart for smokers. Stop teasing them!

Look at this picture! They make a smoking room, OK, my compliments, but in their calvinistic minds they can't do it without

forcing feelings of guilt and terror on the smokers segment of our fellow beings.

Anyhow gentlemen, be as stupid as me and hit the bottom first, then it becomes easier, hahaha!

Limbo :)

post-6305-1242436466_thumb.jpg

Mind over Matter. Now what should be in your MIND is a long Healthy Life with the wife and (KIDS??), this what MATTER. Give it a deep sincere try one more time for these reasons. Best of luck, let us know how goes it once in awhile :)

Best of luck to you.

I can tell you that when you don't smoke, life is easier. The life of a smoker is getting more and more difficult. Now, even in the parking lot of some dept stores you can't smoke--have to move very far from the doors etc. It gets to be a real hassle.