Most people want PM to use “bitter pill” to deal with smog problem: Suan Dusit Poll

rooster59

1 hour ago, Chris Lawrence said:

This is the problem; Bangkok people want instant fix for their area. More astonishing is that the General believes he can fix it with a section 44. No doubt the thought of section 44 has been leaked to impress on people that the General is all and powerful.

The issues are multi and will take years to fix. 

I hope they do solve the problem. Do you think the public can be hoodwinked or deceived so easy?

The thing is Thais (and me at times too) like fast easy solutions. They are possible with article 44 if they really stopped the burning and banned diesel engines in the capital the older ones.

But even the all powerful article 44 can't combat the corruption and inactivity of the police. You can't govern a land with a police force that takes so many bribes and only works on what is best for them. 

But the people hit by article 44.. the people who can't burn anymore and the owners of older cars wont be happy. So it won't be done so close to the election even if it were possible.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have been in Bangkok for a month 

and it’s still a joke 

old bus’s still chucking out pollution 

so many tour bus’s and old trucks

not to mention the vast amount of old cars and pickups 

all should be off the road 

they drive past the police 

and I have never seen one being stopped 

what hope is there 

but it’s still the same story no one will do anything Bangkok will die

already the streets are empty of tourists 

compared with past years 

when will the government wake up and do something if they clear the streets of all old polluting vehicles 

it would at least easy the traffic problem 

mike

On 2/3/2019 at 7:59 AM, rooster59 said:

Control Department as having excessive levels of PM2.5 dust particles above the 50-micron level.

What does that even mean? PM2.5 describes dust particles in the air that is smaller than 2.5 micrometre. A human hair (farang) is about 20 micrometre. I don't have a clue what the 50-micron statement is about. If it refers to the Air Quality Index it is wrong, An AQI of 50 would be a good value. It might refer to 50 milligrams per cubic meter? A value of more than 50 is where it starts to seriously affect health.

12 hours ago, dontoearth said:

I agree they are still costly.   However, there have been big and important changes in the capabilities and usage of EV's.

The range is up to 320 miles now which is more than sufficient. 

Electricity is everywhere.  There might be some where you are living.  Check with the neighbors.  LOL.   There is nothing strange or exotic about the electricity the cars use.  In the USA they can be charged from any home electric clothes dryer socket.  It should be relatively easy to put in fast charges at any mcdonald's or KFC or service station which is independently owned.  There will be no need for huge new electrical lines.    They cars use very little electricity.  In terms of energy comparison here in the USA.  80 miles in an electric car only uses 2.35 USD of electricity.  80 miles in our gas guzzlers would run you about $10.60.  Since the cars use such a small amount of energy so efficiently some techies now estimate we would only need 10% more electrically capacity to run fully and completely on electric cars worldwide.

Fast chargers can be put in at any connection to the electric company at a street vault.  Not the big deal so many keep saying it is.

Of course the oil and coal companies produce must different 'facts' for some reason. 

Even Harley Davidson the manufacture of huge gas burning cycles introduced an electric version a few weeks ago.  Might be a good option for replacing the motorbikes at the mouth of every Soi spewing blue smoke.

I don't know that thailand has started into test of the cars to see what kind of real world facts and figures become apparent for the Kingdom.  It is something to consider because now we finally are getting lots of cars available which is decreasing the price. The chinese are investing in 3 car companies that will turn out ONLY EV's.  Korea is trying for a major introduction this year also. 

Now they have a tesla that has been in service for 350,000 miles and the battery degradation is under 13%.  It now looks like the batteries will completely outlive any car frame we manufacture today.  Very few ICE cars are anything other than landfill at 350,000 miles.  There will be no need to replace the batteries while owning the car.  350,000 miles in the USA would be like owning 3 cars over a period of time.  One optimistic estimate is that the battery pack might live 25 years and you might need to put a new car frame on top of it once or twice during those 25 years. 

And I seem to remember somewhere some years ago that Thailand was either going to test electric buses or gas buses.  I wonder what happened to that project?     

If you have been to San Francisco the buses all work like old fashioned electric street cars plugged into an overhead grid on their routes.  This is old technology they had this in the 50's in most western cities before the car became KING.  IN fact down market street in SF they use old restored 1950's electric street cars to create a tourist attraction. The buses don't need rails they run on rubber tires.  The older electric street cars are steel wheels needing rails. They are not that comfy since they are primarily wood bench.   

As you can tell I am quite an enthusiast.  My hi-rise has contracted to put in the chargers in our garage and I want to be switched over before the next gas crisis.  

Just some thoughts.  

I did a Google search and came up with the Tesla site. This is the cost in the USA.

https://www.quora.com/How-much-does-a-Tesla-charging-station-cost

AFAICS the standard home charger depending on a few variables (Ideal connection is 220v 100 amp for the Tesla batteries), the cost to have an electrician install the power requirements for your charger will be between $100 and  upwards of $1,500-$2,000 (Highly unlikely but if you don't have an empty circuit nearby, the electrician may need to install a panel / breaker).  I would make the safe assumption that on average, a home installation by an electrician is ~$300-$400. You will be ready to charge at ~$900.  This up front investment can pay for itself within a couple months of switching to an electric car.

For a fast charger at your home For a homeowner with a deep pocket:
First of all, I don't know if anyone has installed a supercharger at their house.  I think it would be virtually impossible to achieve the power requirements from any utility company (Requiring a transformer and switchgear at a home).  Elon has mentioned that the material cost for a single supercharger is around $15,000.  So you're looking at maybe $40-$50K ballpark to have one at your house.  If you can afford that, hats off.

Here is something of a link to home chargers in Thailand but no mention of the prices.

http://evfthailand.com/

This link is more informative and does have prices.

https://www.promptcharge.co/

I think that you would have to upgrade your meter to allow the extra power and you will certainly get much higher electricity bills.

How you could manage the charger if you live in a condo or High rise building I have no idea.

10 hours ago, billd766 said:

I did a Google search and came up with the Tesla site. This is the cost in the USA.

https://www.quora.com/How-much-does-a-Tesla-charging-station-cost

AFAICS the standard home charger depending on a few variables (Ideal connection is 220v 100 amp for the Tesla batteries), the cost to have an electrician install the power requirements for your charger will be between $100 and  upwards of $1,500-$2,000 (Highly unlikely but if you don't have an empty circuit nearby, the electrician may need to install a panel / breaker).  I would make the safe assumption that on average, a home installation by an electrician is ~$300-$400. You will be ready to charge at ~$900.  This up front investment can pay for itself within a couple months of switching to an electric car.

For a fast charger at your home For a homeowner with a deep pocket:
First of all, I don't know if anyone has installed a supercharger at their house.  I think it would be virtually impossible to achieve the power requirements from any utility company (Requiring a transformer and switchgear at a home).  Elon has mentioned that the material cost for a single supercharger is around $15,000.  So you're looking at maybe $40-$50K ballpark to have one at your house.  If you can afford that, hats off.

Here is something of a link to home chargers in Thailand but no mention of the prices.

http://evfthailand.com/

This link is more informative and does have prices.

https://www.promptcharge.co/

I think that you would have to upgrade your meter to allow the extra power and you will certainly get much higher electricity bills.

How you could manage the charger if you live in a condo or High rise building I have no idea.

You don't even need the home charger.  Many people have bought plug adapter kits to utilize normal socket plug-ins in their garage.  It does bring your charge time up considerable.  Some plug adapters can take as long as 16 hours for a full charge.  Most a more reasonable 8 hours.  However, a full charge today is over a week's driving because of the range.  Sunday night should do you until next Sunday night.  So you could utilize the charger space for several cars. 

Here in the USA any house utilizing an electric clothes dryer near its garage (10's of millions of homes here) can plug in an electric car with an adapter kid without the need for the power wall at all.  The plug for the electric clothes dryer gives charge times of a few hours for a full charge. I see the big shiny power walls as more of a vanity thing and sales to the fashion gullible.   I am sure anyone shopping at Paragon would have to the sleek charger prominently displayed somewhere on their property.  ???? 

I do know electricity cost more money in TH.  However, I would still be willing to bet it is cheaper than gasoline charges.  The estimate is 75% less spent on powering your car per month.  

Hi-rise and condo buildings with a garage are even easier as the whole building usually has the electrical service in the basement garage area.  One charger could easily serve dozens of cars and the EV owners could split the costs or the garage could have an attendant do it and the owners could be billed one additional garage service staff salary and the metered electric charges.   My hi-rise condo hasn't done it because the garage will be tuckpointed.  After which we are to get 4  charger units which can easily serve 40 cars and the new multi-chargers have smart technology we should get our charge times and bills directly on our smart phones.

This technology is moving along at such a rapid pace.  Many of the larger countries are on pace to have more than a million units on the road in the next one or two years.

This field is really changing fast.  From clown cars 15 years ago with golf cart frames and huge lead acid batteries to the new sleek model S from Tesla capable of driving coast to coast and the now cheaper 3.  They are all very powerful with 0-60 times right around porsche territory.

Any of the thai in BMW's, or Audi's, or M-B, or Lexus, or porsche could really afford to switch over immediately.  And I see plenty of those cars on the street everyday.

The huge rush by the old line auto companies  to get millions of EV units manufactured in just the next year to 2 or 3 years clearly shows this technology now has a strong foot hold and bright future.

Yes. I do own Tesla stock.  ????   

And keeping with the original theme of combating Bangkok smog here in this forum, EV's of all shapes and sizes are all ZERO EMISSIONS FREE. 

Archived