Replace Win 10 OS with Win 7 on laptop

simon43

I've had it with Windows 10.  If it's not some problem that pops up after the latest security update, then it's a slow-running computer, with the CPU overloaded with un-necessary apps running in the background etc.  I can kill the apps, run CCleaner etc etc, but slowly my laptop returns to 'snail' mode.

OTOH, my second laptop that runs Windows 7 is reliable and fast - always!!

My Win 10 latop is an Acer Aspire, just a couple of years old.

Is it feasible to completely remove windows 10 OS and install Windows 7 instead?  (I can't do a rollback to Windows 7 because the machine was bought new with Windows 10 already installed).

Just curious has that laptop a SSD drive ? otherwise spending some money on an SSD drive would solve the problem.

It would be feasible to install windows 7, why not if you can get the software and a key you can install it. 

If you can avoid it don't re-format your existing drive, pop it out and replace with an SSD which you can either clone from your existing W10 or install something else.

Your biggest issue with going W7 (apart from it being unsupported) will be finding drivers for such a young lappie.

I've been using W10 on an older machine since it came out, I do not see the issues that you have.

The wife has a 1 year old Asus flip book running windows 10.  Was slow.  I did a fresh install of win 10 and loaded Advanced uninstall and Advanced system care and uninstalled all the programs I didn't need.  The driver booster stopped it from working so did another fresh install and added AOMEI one key recovery so I can re install quicker.  I was thinking of putting in a new SSD and probably would if it was me but I just told my wife to be a bit more patient after all the darn thing is only a year old.  

O/P, I also have an Acer Aspire, (5742 in my case)

I've had it for 8 years now and It is my second Acer and it has run flawlessly for all that time as did the previous one.

I accepted the free upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 from Microsoft in March last year and I am very pleased with it and would not even think about returning to Win 7, even if I could, which I believe is not possible now.  anyway.

My one input to your problem is to ask whether you are running a good antivirus programme? 

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

My one input to your problem is to ask whether you are running a good antivirus programme?

The W10 Defender is fully sufficient for antivirus.

And so many problems with 3rd party antivirus programs, again and again.

I have never used 3rd party antivirus since xx years.

One of the most important protection measures still seems to be a "secret":

Use the device in daily operation with a standard user account that does not have administrative privilege.

About the OP:

Before going back to W7 I would still invest some time to find out why W10 is slow.

How much RAM? What type of CPU? Plenty of disk storage?

You wrote that the device was shipped with W10 preinstalled and you are using it "a couple of years". The preinstalled systems often have unnecessary bulk-ware with them.

It's a "law of nature" that Windows systems get slower over the years.

I usually reinstall after about 2 years (or earlier).

My idea: backup your important data (those that are on the same drive as W10).

Do an inventory of the installed SW (needed and available for reinstall?, unneeded).

Then do a fresh clean installation of W10.

Be aware that not all modern HW is supported by W7. Some vendors have stopped supplying drivers for W7 since long.

Depending on the age of your device you might end up with a "crippled" system where not all HW is usable.

I wouldn't downgrade to 7, best to just get a small SSD and install W10 from scratch.

I have a $350 or so 5 year old laptop, it used to take 6 minutes to stop the CPU/HD usage from being stuck at 100%

upgraded to a cheap SSD and it can boot in windows about 25 seconds, ready and browsing in less than a minute.

I sympathize with OP. Every time I build a new rig I seriously consider Win7. It was, IMO, the best Windows ever, it just worked. Apart from the early BSDs with nVidia drivers, which nVidia refused to accept. Made me switch to AMD for couple of years.

It seems that with every new Win 10 update, there are new problems. I was forced to upgrade Skype recently, which killed the microphone in my WebCam. The mike works everywhere else, but not in Skype.

The biggest problem installing Win7 is that the manufacturer might not provide specific Win7 driver. This is especially true for Laptops, and as the OP states, it came preloaded with Win10, so I would expect the Win7 drivers might not be available. Best to check on the manufacturers support website. Microsoft has also been making problems installing Win7 on certain platforms.

Simon a new laptop may very well tell you only win 10 can be installed. Mine does 2018 Acer bought in Oz. Never ending windows updates continuously cost me a fortune using MTP in Burma.  I ended up doing a reinstall from the built in program. Fixed everything and stopped the continuous windows upgrades . Then look at you tube about the spying that is built in with Win 10. Disable a lot of that and all is good.

I have a tiny Acer laptop running one of the N3450 Celeron processors, and had a problem with it locking up with Win7.

I have no clue why, but when I'm downloading a large file from the interweb, the CPU goes to <20% of maximum frequency and it locks up as if it's overheating.  (Resource Monitor)  I installed some CPU temp programs and found the temperature wasn't the problem.  I upgraded to Win10 and still have the same problem, and have been unable to find a solution on any blogs.  I've reached the end of what time I'm willing to spend on a $300 machine, so I just don't use it to download large files.  It's my backup video player.

Sorry I can't be of more help, except to possibly save someone some time by not changing OS.  I hated to spend hours and hours changing the OS, getting the drivers all lined up, reloading a bunch of software, then find out it didn't fix the problem.  I'm guessing it's a motherboard thing, but I've already spent too much time on a $300 machine.

On 2/14/2019 at 6:48 PM, emptypockets said:

Simon a new laptop may very well tell you only win 10 can be installed. Mine does 2018 Acer bought in Oz. Never ending windows updates continuously cost me a fortune using MTP in Burma.  I ended up doing a reinstall from the built in program. Fixed everything and stopped the continuous windows upgrades . Then look at you tube about the spying that is built in with Win 10. Disable a lot of that and all is good.

This is why you should install Pro as opposed to Home. Then you can defer updates quickly and easily.

On 2/14/2019 at 7:06 PM, impulse said:

I have a tiny Acer laptop running one of the N3450 Celeron processors, and had a problem with it locking up with Win7.

I have no clue why, but when I'm downloading a large file from the interweb, the CPU goes to <20% of maximum frequency and it locks up as if it's overheating.  (Resource Monitor)  I installed some CPU temp programs and found the temperature wasn't the problem.  I upgraded to Win10 and still have the same problem, and have been unable to find a solution on any blogs.  I've reached the end of what time I'm willing to spend on a $300 machine, so I just don't use it to download large files.  It's my backup video player.

Sorry I can't be of more help, except to possibly save someone some time by not changing OS.  I hated to spend hours and hours changing the OS, getting the drivers all lined up, reloading a bunch of software, then find out it didn't fix the problem.  I'm guessing it's a motherboard thing, but I've already spent too much time on a $300 machine.

Is it one of those devices with an SD Card as it Boot/Storage drive?

Model number?

On 2/3/2019 at 9:26 AM, robblok said:

Just curious has that laptop a SSD drive ? otherwise spending some money on an SSD drive would solve the problem.

It would be feasible to install windows 7, why not if you can get the software and a key you can install it. 

Hear, hear! I just bought a 129 GB SSD for kess than 1,000 THB in Europe. 

9 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Is it one of those devices with an SD Card as it Boot/Storage drive?

Model number?

It's an E3-111 with a 320 GB hard drive.  No optical drive and no cooling fan.  I thought the issue would be cooling, but the CPU temps just don't get that high. 

I considered installing an SSD (like I have for all of my well behaved computers), but if it's a CPU or motherboard problem, that would be throwing good money after bad...  I don't care if it boots slowly.  But having it lock up intermittently when the CPU goes <20% of maximum frequency is no bueno.

11 hours ago, onlycw said:

OT: Try Chrome OS. Hangouts is great and cheap, the extension handles Office files. It boots up in under 7 seconds and powers down in 1.5 seconds. Paid $ 50 for a Thinkpad X131E on Ebay and love the neat machine.

I think that would be Chromium OS. Depends on what the OP is using his laptop for, whether any limitations. Certainly he could try running the OS from a flash drive to try it out.

11 hours ago, impulse said:

It's an E3-111 with a 320 GB hard drive.  No optical drive and no cooling fan.  I thought the issue would be cooling, but the CPU temps just don't get that high. 

I considered installing an SSD (like I have for all of my well behaved computers), but if it's a CPU or motherboard problem, that would be throwing good money after bad...  I don't care if it boots slowly.  But having it lock up intermittently when the CPU goes <20% of maximum frequency is no bueno.

Have you adjusted the Power Options? https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/use-maximum-cpu-power-windows-10

What Temps are you getting?

11 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Have you adjusted the Power Options? https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/use-maximum-cpu-power-windows-10

What Temps are you getting?

I appreciate the effort, but I've run all of those traps- short of taking it in and paying someone.  And for a $300 machine, that's not in the cards.

Edit:  I'd add that it was $300 when I bought it in Thailand.  I can replace it for around $200 here in Texas with a newer, zoomier model. 

18 hours ago, impulse said:

I appreciate the effort, but I've run all of those traps- short of taking it in and paying someone.  And for a $300 machine, that's not in the cards.

Edit:  I'd add that it was $300 when I bought it in Thailand.  I can replace it for around $200 here in Texas with a newer, zoomier model. 

Those CPU are something special...

Notwithstanding, I would spend US$20 on a solid state drive and run a clean install. 

US$20 is still better than US$200 and it will definitely perform a lot better than it does now.

Some have reported that the problem went away with a new install.

In addition, have you applied the latest BIOS updates and set the BIOS defaults?

You keep repeating that it was a US$300 device, as if that has some bearing on anything.

Spend the US$20 on an SSD. Worse case scenario, you can always use the SSD with another device. It's just US$20. No need to agonise over it. 

Even in the worst case, it was be eminently usable with ssd fitted.

2 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Those CPU are something special...

Notwithstanding, I would spend US$20 on a solid state drive and run a clean install. 

US$20 is still better than US$200 and it will definitely perform a lot better than it does now.

Some have reported that the problem went away with a new install.

In addition, have you applied the latest BIOS updates and set the BIOS defaults?

You keep repeating that it was a US$300 device, as if that has some bearing on anything.

Spend the US$20 on an SSD. Worse case scenario, you can always use the SSD with another device. It's just US$20. No need to agonise over it. 

Even in the worst case, it was be eminently usable with ssd fitted.

It's not the $20.  It's the half a day of loading it up, trying the latest BIOS, re-tweaking a dozen power settings, reverting from Win10 back to Win7, and finding out it still has the problem. 

I may be able to use that SSD, but I'll never get back the wasted time.

My purpose of posting wasn't to fix my problem.  It was to warn people that changing the OS may be a waste of time.  I tried that.  I wasted half a day of my life.

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

It's not the $20.  It's the half a day of loading it up, trying the latest BIOS and finding out it still has the problem. 

I may be able to use that SSD, but I'll never get back the wasted time.

Just buy the new laptop then....

It takes less than half an hour to fit the SSD and install the OS...

The problem is that you wasted the time beforehand. It's that time you won't get back.

No shame in going back to windows 7.

I've used both and just prefer 7. I'm used to it more and it's menu layout. 

Win 10 trying to do what apple does and get too intrusive and controlling.

SSD speeds things up a noticeable amount. Worth doing.

Driver booster program good for after a win 7 downgrade install to get all hardware working properly.

Archived