Extension Cord Confusion

ricklev

Where have you looked, even Tesco and Seven have power boards of various ilks and prices. If you just want to extend a 2-core flex you can get the cable and fittings in HomePro and the like.

The last time I saw a lead like the one in your photo was in the Philippines, I didn't buy it.

Thanks. I do know what is sold here.  I mean just a basic cheap extension cord sold everywhere in the USA for a dollar or two.  They are UL listed and not dangerous when used as intended.  

Just curious why they wouldn't be sold in Thailand.  I'm sure they are all made in China and thereabouts.   

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=extension cord&cat_id=1072864_1067619_1231219_1231220&grid=true&povid=Search_extension+cord+|+contentZone1+|+2018-10-12+|+1+|+3up_extension+cord_Indoor+Extension+Cords

Any Global House, DoHome, Thai Watsadu, electrical supplier, hardware shop, BigC, Tesco etc has a wide variety, from cheap and nasty to quality and price. So maybe looking will help 

• 7 minutes ago, ricklev said:

What is the deal that I can't buy a basic extension cord in Thailand that is sold at every 99 cent store and Walmart  in the USA?  The one pictured is $1.49 at Walmart and is 6 feet long.  

3 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Any Global House, DoHome, Thai Watsadu, electrical supplier, hardware shop, BigC, Tesco etc has a wide variety, from cheap and nasty to quality and price. So maybe looking will help 

No, they don't sell them here except for the 400 baht heavy duty ones.  I've lived here 20 years and never seen a basic cheap extension cord selling for less than 100 baht as pictured.   And neither have you!

I'm just curious why they don't.  Not interested in replies telling me they do and I should go look.

7 minutes ago, ricklev said:

Thanks. I do know what is sold here.  I mean just a basic cheap extension cord sold everywhere in the USA for a dollar or two.  They are UL listed and not dangerous when used as intended.  

Just curious why they wouldn't be sold in Thailand.  I'm sure they are all made in China and thereabouts.   

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=extension cord&cat_id=1072864_1067619_1231219_1231220&grid=true&povid=Search_extension+cord+|+contentZone1+|+2018-10-12+|+1+|+3up_extension+cord_Indoor+Extension+Cords

The majority of leads sold for that price are in all probability worth the exact price you are paying and nothing more, with thin copper coated aluminium conductors and coated steel contacts

3 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The majority of leads sold for that price are in all probability worth the exact price you are paying and nothing more, with thin copper coated aluminium conductors and coated steel contacts

Every major store in America sells them at that price.  If they were a fire hazard I don't think Walmart, Target, etc. would  be selling them considering the liability issues.

Maybe it has something to do with 110 versus 220 voltage?

Philippines is 220V and I've seen them there so that's not likely to be the reason, considering some of the other electrical carp that's sold here I'm a little surprised that they're not available.

As to the liability issue in the US. As you note they're fine when used as intended, stick a label on "5A max" and you're covered, the fact that they will burn your home down when you pull 20A plus (with no overload protection) through them is neither here nor there.

EDIT Come to think of it, I may have seen them in MegaHome, I'll try to remember to look next time I'm there.

I'll have a go at it...  That type is (maybe) not sold here because it only has a single socket.  The locals will load up an extension board/wheel with at least 4 sockets and using 1mm² cable, or less, with rice cooker, refrigerator, fan, TV and even power tools.  No use at all for a single socket extension.

try lazada.  60 baht.  free shipping if you buy 2.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/magideal-2-pin-3x-female-connectors-power-extension-cord-splitter-cable-i251471106-s388177242.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.13.2da03f342OSWS1&search=1

42 minutes ago, ricklev said:

I mean just a basic cheap extension cord sold everywhere in the USA for a dollar or two.  They are UL listed and not dangerous when used as intended.   

HAHAHA! :cheesy: You are killing me! A safe extension cord it Thailand? No such thing. Stop looking you will feel much better.

here is one for you. “I don’t have a girlfriend, but I know a girl that would get really mad if she heard me say that.”  

but seriously i make my own. look for brass plugs and good luck.

I'll have a go at it...  That type is (maybe) not sold here because it only has a single socket.  The locals will load up an extension board/wheel with at least 4 sockets and using 1mm² cable, or less, with rice cooker, refrigerator, fan, TV and even power tools.  No use at all for a single socket extension.

+1 now i did not have post the same thing!

Skickat från min Lenovo TB-X704F via Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, Crossy said:

considering some of the other electrical carp that's sold here I'm a little surprised that they're not available.

Electrical carp, I've seen similar at similar prices 

probably dangerious and likely not earthed IMG_6619.thumb.PNG.c6c01a13e8eb3c0e3361cca500b8c0dd.PNGIMG_6620.thumb.PNG.1ac05697e488d9d8cf50c4a76e56de1c.PNG

Samui Prakan 3 sockets and switches 139

IMG_6618.thumb.PNG.03b24ca8f3c9a36eaefa38df020904c2.PNG4 sockets 159

1 minute ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Electrical carp, I've seen similar at similar prices 

probably dangerious and likely not earthed 

At least it has a 3-pin plug, if you're really lucky the cord is 3 core. It also has an overload trip (probably 10A) so it's less likely to burn down your home when you plug in the the microwave, toaster and kettle.

48 minutes ago, ricklev said:

No, they don't sell them here except for the 400 baht heavy duty ones.  I've lived here 20 years and never seen a basic cheap extension cord selling for less than 100 baht as pictured.   And neither have you!

I'm just curious why they don't.  Not interested in replies telling me they do and I should go look.

Actually they used to. But no more, now they are all heavy duty ones costing as you say.

Time was there were cheap plastic ones in the 7-11s etc. I still have some of these left in my home.  But no more. I don't know why.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

At least it has a 3-pin plug, if you're really lucky the cord is 3 core. It also has an overload trip (probably 10A) so it's less likely to burn down your home when you plug in the the microwave, toaster and kettle.

And if your really lucky your house is actually earthed, meaning that the third core is connected into a third pin holder inside your wall sockets, and the other end is connected into a grounding system and it's all serving it's safety purpose.

You cannot buy a cord like you show because it only has one socket. That might be OK in the US where you probably have plenty of powerpoints on the wall, but here you often have one power point and then need power boards piggybacked onto other power boards, each with fans, rice cookers, recharging iPads and phones taking up every available socket. That’s why your cord will not sell here, at any price.

46 baht in the USA ----

Hyper Tough 6-Foot General Use Extension Cord
Average rating:0out of5stars, based on0reviewsWrite a review
Walmart # 564791558
$1.48

70c17734-b646-47e0-ad46-5573fc0c4219_1.d00c55484febaa1e8ff90482042d44c7.jpeg?odnWidth=undefined&odnHeight=undefined&odnBg=ffffffAbout This Item

We aim to show you accurate product information. Manufacturers, suppliers and others provide what you see here, and we have not verified it. See our disclaimer
Expand the capabilities of the wall outlets in your home so you can plug in more than ever before with this Hyper Tough 6-Foot General Use Extension Cord. This 6-Foot General Use Extension Cord from Hyper Tough is all you need to turn one wall outlet into 3, so you can have multiple appliances, electronics and chargers plugged in at once and have an additional 6 feet of cord to give you more room to spread out. This 2-prong, 16-gauge general use extension cord has 3 polarized outlets to offer more plugging-in options. It features a space-saving design that's ideal for small spaces where you don't have a lot of room to spare and don't want to worry about tripping over a clunky power bar. The cord is made from premium heavy-duty construction materials that are sure to last for a long time to come, and it's great for placement in any room around the house that could use more plug-in capabilities. Say goodbye to tangled power cords and instead try out this Hyper Tough 6-Foot General Use Extension Cord today!
  • Always have an available outlet to keep plugged in. AWG Rating: 12/2 SPT-2, 125V, 13A, 1625 Watts
  • Turn any 1 wall outlet into 3 outlets for additional plug-in options with 3 polarized outlets
  • 6 foot cord is generously sized to allow you to spread out
  • Don't fuss with clunky power bars when you don't need to
  • Space-saving design is ideal for small areas that could use some more wall plug outlets
  • Made from heavy-duty construction materials for extended use
  • AC outlets are compatible with all kinds of appliances and chargers for versatile use

WARNINGS:

19 hours ago, ricklev said:

Weird.

I see them everywhere.

79 baht for a cheapo 3 or 4 power outlet board.

You want single?

Buy a couple of metres of cable, a male & female quality plug, assemble yourself, total cost 69 baht.

Jeez.

3 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

I see them everywhere.

Are you sure? Our OP is referring to a specific type of space-saving item as in his photos.

If you really want to be cheap there's nothing to stop you using even the 120V rated ones here, the amount of insulation needed for mechanical strength is far greater than that needed for 220v insulation. But any risk is your own.

My main worry with these isn't the rating of the cable (supposedly 13A or so) but the quality of the contacts in the business end. A few in-out operations and these can start fizzing happily even with very low power loads, plenty enough heat to get a small conflagration going if not noticed. 

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Are you sure? Our OP is referring to a specific type of space-saving item as in his photos.

If you really want to be cheap there's nothing to stop you using even the 120V rated ones here, the amount of insulation needed for mechanical strength is far greater than that needed for 220v insulation. But any risk is your own.

My main worry with these isn't the rating of the cable (supposedly 13A or so) but the quality of the contacts in the business end. A few in-out operations and these can start fizzing happily even with very low power loads, plenty enough heat to get a small conflagration going if not noticed. 

Thanks.  They are UL listed at all national stores:  

"your cord has been certified by Underwriters Laboratories, which is the US government testing house for electrical safety.  If your cord has passed UL safety tests, then it is deemed safe to use in the US and in the event of a failure, will fail within predetermined parameters."

I really think the only explanation, especially based on Sheryl's post about 7-11 previously carrying them, is that they were made illegal here for safety reasons and overload protection is required.  I could be wrong though.  

20 hours ago, ricklev said:

I bought 2 of almost exactly what you pictured.. 2 prong male to 2 prong female with a 6 ft or 2m cord (think it had a switch also) to extend some lamps.. first shop I looked in.. Think it was global house but might have been homepro.. 

Just a week or two back.. Took zero effort.. 

2 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

I bought 2 of almost exactly what you pictured.. 2 prong male to 2 prong female with a 6 ft or 2m cord (think it had a switch also) to extend some lamps.. first shop I looked in.. Think it was global house but might have been homepro.. 

Just a week or two back.. Took zero effort.. 

That's interesting.  How much did they cost and are they fused?

3 minutes ago, ricklev said:

That's interesting.  How much did they cost and are they fused?

not enough to notice and.. I doubt it.. 

Was in the section of plugs and things where the 'extra kettle lines' and other single item power cables were.. I think they had some coiled ones like old school phone cable too strangely. 

On 2/4/2019 at 8:44 AM, ricklev said:

Thanks.  They are UL listed at all national stores:  

"your cord has been certified by Underwriters Laboratories, which is the US government testing house for electrical safety.  If your cord has passed UL safety tests, then it is deemed safe to use in the US and in the event of a failure, will fail within predetermined parameters."

I really think the only explanation, especially based on Sheryl's post about 7-11 previously carrying them, is that they were made illegal here for safety reasons and overload protection is required.  I could be wrong though.  

UL is a private testing LAB located in Illinois near Chicago and is not run by the US government. They have been in business for 100 years .

Many electric cords sold in Mom and Pop places, or on Lazada, Shopee or even some larger stores do NOT meet Thai standards.  When I see 0.50 mm electric cable , (really 24 guage in the USA) two wire and a "grounded" outlet at the end I cringe. The OP can spend his money on plenty of cheap cords on Lazada or on LuZina brand at Thai Watsadu. I recall some inexpensive 0.70mm extension cords at Mr. D.I.Y. store in selected malls. I might recommend the OP consider the number on the side of the electric cable. 1.5mm is the minimum I would have for an extension cable in my home.  2.5mm for any tools and double check to make sure it is really 3 wires. 

50 minutes ago, kamalabob2 said:

Many electric cords sold in Mom and Pop places, or on Lazada, Shopee or even some larger stores do NOT meet Thai standards.  When I see 0.50 mm electric cable , (really 24 guage in the USA) two wire and a "grounded" outlet at the end I cringe. The OP can spend his money on plenty of cheap cords on Lazada or on LuZina brand at Thai Watsadu. I recall some inexpensive 0.70mm extension cords at Mr. D.I.Y. store in selected malls. I might recommend the OP consider the number on the side of the electric cable. 1.5mm is the minimum I would have for an extension cable in my home.  2.5mm for any tools and double check to make sure it is really 3 wires. 

Actually I, the OP,  am not looking for a cheap extension cord in Thailand.  I was just curious why the style available everywhere in the USA for less than 50 baht is not available in Thailand.   I would venture to guess that 80% of the households in the USA has at least one of those cheap extension cords in use or in their house.  Any USA folks disagree?

Archived