BANGKOK 23 March 2019 15:13
myshem

Tick vaccination ? useful ? what brand ? how much ?

On 2/7/2019 at 3:39 PM, Sheryl said:

A Chihuahua but probably not pure breed one. Also full sized, not miniature. One Vet thought he might be a Chihuaua/Pinscher  mix. He was a rescue so not sure.

Not only is he at least 22 but he still runs like the wind and remains a formidable watch dog. (If he hears the intruder, that is...his hearing is not as acute as it used to be and he does sleep more of the time and more soundly!). He remains the inflexible foe of the cleaning lady, as you can see here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlFXTJkqook

Chihuahuas are known to live longer than most dogs (though 22 is still unusual). Poms not so much. If it is a pure bred Pom they are prone to a lot of musculoskeleteal problems, it is important not to let them get at all overweight.   There used to be a Pom in my extended family, he died due to traumatic injury (mauled by larger dog) but before then had been in and out of hospital with a lot of chronic ailments. 

They are really adorable dogs , though. I still miss mine, in fact am just in the process of burnishing his head stone  (he's buried in the garden).

My dogs love my cleaning lady!  Although that's not suprising as a) she loves animals and spends a lot of her time here making a fuss of them and b) she always brings them food, either cooked by her mother for them or bought from 7/11 or roadside stall. 😀

Back on topic, the 'back of the neck' products didn't work for me or my dogs - and so I regard Bravecto and Nexguard as 'wonder drugs' that finally eliminated the (previously) never ending tick problem.

• Like 1

We have two Chihuahuas similar size to Sheryls (dog is 6kg, his sister is 5.5). They get Bravecto but they don't like the "delicious chewable tablet", Madam hides it in chicken liver which vanishes in an instant.

We have chooks and guinea fowl which munch up pretty well anything that creeps or crawls anyway and the dogs don't leave our 1.5 rai garden.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting Crossy I too have a 4kg Chihuahua and I googled Bravecto and was taken aback by numerous reports of dogs falling I'll from it.

I take my 2 dogs out, the other being a 30+kg German Shepherd mix and they love going off track in the wooded area I take them for their daily romp and I think that's where they pick up ticks. I am going to get me some Bravecto and see if I can at least reduce the number of ticks.

13 hours ago, jack2964 said:

Thanks for posting Crossy I too have a 4kg Chihuahua and I googled Bravecto and was taken aback by numerous reports of dogs falling I'll from it.

I take my 2 dogs out, the other being a 30+kg German Shepherd mix and they love going off track in the wooded area I take them for their daily romp and I think that's where they pick up ticks. I am going to get me some Bravecto and see if I can at least reduce the number of ticks.

When using Bravecto you will not find any ticks on your dogs in just a few days time (usual within 24 hours they are complete tick free) 

• Like 2

On 2/9/2019 at 7:24 PM, jack2964 said:

Nexguard Spectra seems to be a better option?

Taken monthly, so likely less toxic?

My dogs used to have serious problems with ticks and tick-borne blood parasites.

The problem disappeared after giving them first Bravecto, and then Nexguard Spectra.