The HUGE differences in vegetable prices ,market Vs Supermarkets

worgeordie

Today I went to Muang Mai market,that's the one opposite US Embassy,

bought 1 bag onions 10 Kg. 90 THB,10 Kg bag Potatoes 120 THB, Red Peppers 40 THB Kg,

and couple Kg Leeks 50 THB Kg.  Yes I use a lot of veg.

So onions 9 THB  supermarket 32 THB ,potatoes 12 THB  Supermarket 42 THB,last week Tops 86 THB !

red peppers 40 THb supermarket 120 THB, leeks 3 small ones 60 thb, so if you use a lot of Veg,there's

big saving to be made.

So I am standing at the back of the truck loaded with green & red peppers,no one around,so i am waiting 

thinking he has gone to the toilet or for something to eat,till someone pointed out he had a hammock,

between the high sides of his truck,fast asleep,little fan rigged up,rattle the sides of the truck,didn't move,

so i threw a pepper at him,popped his head over side of hannock,I asked him the price,weighted 2 Kg

myself,put the money in his plastic money container,by that time he was fast asleep again.

regards worgeordie

Yeah, that's an eye opening market....

A little too far into town for us but the wife veggie shops it if she tags along to the consulate....

I'm not the shopper in the family but I've noticed some of the meat there kind of sits out exposed to the sun, diesel fumes, & elements with no "date stamp" on it - not sure I'd trust it.....

It seems a big question is: Who does the shopping and how much knowledge has that person.

I am used to supermarkets and I just assume that whatever I buy is fresh (enough) and in good condition.

When we go to the fresh market my Thai girlfriend looks at the things she buys in detail and maybe she selects this and not that and maybe she goes to another vendor because she didn't like the quality from the first vendor.

For me it looks more or less same same but my experience tell me she picked the good quality items.

2 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

The night trade markets are the best.

8 whole pineapples- 60 baht or 8 baht per singular purchase.

Vendor on street price - 25-40 baht

Worth it of you have fruit and veg shakes each morning like us.

Im a bum, I want mine peeled.

Lets see why is the major market cheaper than say a vendor on the street or one of the smaller markets. How about they buy from the major market and mark up to make a profit. How safe is the produce we buy from any market, loaded with poison

I would say supoermarket produce has a far greater chance that its full of pesticides, look at it, its been selected, almost perfect. Maybe its been genetically created?

At a supermarket youre paying for rents, staff salaries, transport and distribution, warehouse outlets because they are big business and need more money to operate.

The old dear on the market may grow half her stuff in her garden, she cant afford pesticides so really its not too far from being organic. See a few wormholes, thats perfect you know its good. Overheads, well besides a 1m baht truck they spend 70bt to rent a market stall every day.

After buying fruit from makro for a good while, just because i  was there, i now realise their fruit is actually either tasteless, a week under ripe or a week over ripe.

Fruits from your local market are fresh or two days to ripe.

Its a choice, and markets dont suit everyone, especially snobs

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I don't think they're snobs, I think they're frightened of mixing with the locals.

I do feel a bit uneasy that two stall holders on my local now call me "boss"

Maybe its a local Thai word for something derogatory, or maybe just my tall goodlooking stance that is commanding some respect????

35 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Or perhaps some people don't mind spending a little more for one-stop shopping in a nice air-conditioned store that has ample parking and nice clean restrooms. 

10 kg of onions?

You need air-con in winter?

I use a scooter, you can park anywhere.

9 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Or perhaps some people don't mind spending a little more for one-stop shopping in a nice air-conditioned store that has ample parking and nice clean restrooms. 

Giving profits to the wealthy that own the large international corporations that abuse their suppliers and employees in the name of progress.

Go to Ruamchok Market sometime and park in the basement car park. As you come up the escalator, the fresh market is directly in front of you. Turn left, walk about 50 metres and you are in Tops, where the same veggies sold in the market you just passed are sold in Tops at 3 - 5 times the price.

12 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

I would say supoermarket produce has a far greater chance that its full of pesticides, look at it, its been selected, almost perfect. Maybe its been genetically created?

At a supermarket youre paying for rents, staff salaries, transport and distribution, warehouse outlets because they are big business and need more money to operate.

The old dear on the market may grow half her stuff in her garden, she cant afford pesticides so really its not too far from being organic. See a few wormholes, thats perfect you know its good. Overheads, well besides a 1m baht truck they spend 70bt to rent a market stall every day.

After buying fruit from makro for a good while, just because i  was there, i now realise their fruit is actually either tasteless, a week under ripe or a week over ripe.

Fruits from your local market are fresh or two days to ripe.

Its a choice, and markets dont suit everyone, especially snobs

Not here to start an argument but I would say that supermarket have a lower chance of peticide. To be honest I think your screwed anyway. And your argument of growing in a garden does not really sound convincing given the volume they sell at a market.

I personally go to Makro good quality not expensive, however I have bought my stuff at markets too. Has nothing to do with snobbery but more with location and convenience. 

I remember tests on markets for pesticide were quite bad (not that super markets fared that much better). So maybe we are screwed either way.

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I don't think they're snobs, I think they're frightened of mixing with the locals.

Yes I am quaking in my boots that is why i buy at Makro, for me its just the ease of shopping. Before there was a Makro near where i lived I went to the market. I stopped though good deals can be had at the market.

I buy what ever I need depending on where I am and what I am doing, a deal is a deal.

But, Im not buying those 2000 baht a package strawberrys at Takeshima. 50 baht a bag in Wongwangyai

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It's lots of factors.

When our ladyboy B-I-L visits us in CM he tries to insist we shop at Rimping, but for a different reason.

He brings his local ladyboy friends to our house and makes sure they notice fruit and veg in Rimping bags. All to do with trying to look rich and nothing more.

But nowadays it doesn't happen often because my son has barred him from bringing friends to the house (because he insists on trying to feed the 2 smallest kids and fix their school clothes before they leave for school and they are 30 minutes late getting to school - all previously forbidden but he keeps doing it, their language, the mess they leave behind, they tease the kids and make them cry and then laugh and more), and because my son and his wife refuse to take him to Rimping, they shops at local markets for fruit and veg but very selective what they buy. They only rarely buy meat at local markets. 

Just more convenient for me to go to Big C , only supermarket I visit , cheaper then the others.  And I can stay there for hours, after shopping have my daily 35 baht coffee. 

I agree I probably lose 100 baht weekly for not buying veggies at the market. 

3 hours ago, balo said:

You see to me, thats not 100bt its two large Changs and thats why you should shop around.????

I prefer to make my money stretch so I can treat myself at no further cost

9 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Giving profits to the wealthy that own the large international corporations that abuse their suppliers and employees in the name of progress.

Most "...large international corporations..." are publicly traded and as such provide investment opportunities to millions of people.

Most "...large international corporations..." obey all local safety, environmental and labor laws, treat employees much better and provide better compensation than local mom and pop shops.

So does the fact that attack others for shopping at Lotus or Macro when you clearly trade with large corporations make you a hypocrite? 

5 hours ago, balo said:

I know how you feel, I walked a quarter mile in the heat the other day to save 50 baht.

5 hours ago, balo said:

Just more convenient for me to go to Big C , only supermarket I visit , cheaper then the others.  And I can stay there for hours, after shopping have my daily 35 baht coffee. 

I'd rather shoot myself in the head than sit for hours in a supermarket.

Get yourself a nicer home!

When I was at the jomtien markets I found everything to be more than Tesco lotus but no doubt it's because I'm a white boy and no prices visible

After a week of buying there and getting ripped off twice by incorrect weighing I gave up. A few had their scales hidden behind the last row of Veges.. Errm no thanks

I live in bangkok and just order on line Tesco. A bit more but I don't have carry 10kg of bags

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'd rather shoot myself in the head than sit for hours in a supermarket.

Get yourself a nicer home!

Hang around the zucchini and eyeball the ladies

Archived