The HUGE differences in vegetable prices ,market Vs Supermarkets

worgeordie

On 2/3/2019 at 5:37 PM, Rc2702 said:

The night trade markets are the best.

8 whole pineapples- 60 baht or 8 baht per singular purchase.

Vendor on street price - 25-40 baht

Worth it of you have fruit and veg shakes each morning like us.

Hello,

I like the sound of these Night trade markets, I like to purchase some items in bulk and enjoy the wholesale prices.

Could you tell me either the names of these markets or there locations.  Thank you in advance

Justin

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 5:27 PM, BritManToo said:

I just went to my local market,

Strawberries 80bht, tomatoes 10bht, peppers 10bht, mushrooms 20bht, potatoes 20bht, limes 40bht, onions 20bht.

market.jpg

Your posting history dictates you like to live on the cheap.

Hope you enjoy it but, I bet those products you bought are so full of pesticides which over a period of time can cause many health issues.

If you do not believe me research it yourself about those products at the cheap markets.

Sometimes the old saying: you get what you pay for... can be very true.

Good luck with your veggies hope you know what you are doing...…..

Just now, bkk6060 said:

Hope you enjoy it but, I bet those products you bought are so full of pesticides which over a period of time can cause many health issues.

I'm too old for it to make any difference now.

Those that obsess over what they eat don't seem to live any longer, although it probably feels like a lot longer.

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Most "...large international corporations..." are publicly traded and as such provide investment opportunities to millions of people.

Most "...large international corporations..." obey all local safety, environmental and labor laws, treat employees much better and provide better compensation than local mom and pop shops.

So does the fact that attack others for shopping at Lotus or Macro when you clearly trade with large corporations make you a hypocrite? 

You want to love large international corporations, fine, be blind to their black side.

I'm too old for it to make any difference now.
Those that obsess over what they eat don't seem to live any longer, although it probably feels like a lot longer.
Very true. It's genetic, your life already has a used by date stamped. You can vegan all you like and be dead at 40, smoke drink do drugs and live a lot longer.. Keith Richard's is the poster boy [emoji16]

57 minutes ago, jaenterprises said:

Hello,

I like the sound of these Night trade markets, I like to purchase some items in bulk and enjoy the wholesale prices.

Could you tell me either the names of these markets or there locations.  Thank you in advance

Justin

The one I use in khon Kaen is called talad rod fai and opens at 2am until 8pm. The earlier you go the cheaper it is. 10kg of small apples price between 150/200. 1 kg sold at market stalls around city sold for 40 baht. Pretty sure there is equivalent markets throughout Thailand with same opportunities. 

1 hour ago, madmen said:

Very true. It's genetic, your life already has a used by date stamped. You can vegan all you like and be dead at 40, smoke drink do drugs and live a lot longer.. Keith Richard's is the poster boy emoji16.png

I bet Keef doesn't source his fruit & veg from Thailand ????

1 hour ago, madmen said:

Very true. It's genetic, your life already has a used by date stamped. You can vegan all you like and be dead at 40, smoke drink do drugs and live a lot longer.. Keith Richard's is the poster boy emoji16.png

I suggest you school yourself on the subject of statistical outliers.

1 hour ago, amexpat said:

Small markets?  Pesticides and much more.

Many big supermarkets, Big C in particular, source a large amount of their produce from China where there is no shortage of pesticides, including some highly toxic ones not used in Thailand. Thirty percent of the world's pesticide use is in China, which holds nine percent of the world's cropland.

I am taking my chances at local farmer's markets, supporting Thai farmers and probably consuming fewer pesticides.

When I go to my local market, it's painfully obvious that most vendors are buying a lot of their produce from wholesalers.  Sure, some comes from the farm, but look at the perfect carrots, onions, peppers, limes, etc (all perfect, and uniform in size).  I laugh a bit with my wife, and say: Makro must have been busy this morning....  

We used to shop at Muang Mai market for just about everything - except meat. My wife and her family never buy meat or poultry of any kind at Thai markets. Fish, no problem as they are alive in tanks when you select them. ???? But over the years as the Chinese have arrived here and like to go to Muang Mai market to buy fruits, the price of fruits have increased dramatically. We never buy fruit there anymore. The exact same oranges that they sell at MM for 65-85 Baht/kg. we get from our local fruit seller for 25-35/kg. (same brands). Same with dragon fruit, grapes and a few others; roughly 1/3 of what MM charges. We still buy coconuts at MM as well as avocados (40-45 Baht per kg.).

But we much prefer either Doi Kham brand or Rimping Organic Farm brand (not the same as the market chain but sold there) for veggies. Muang Mai market veggies are loaded with pesticides and many - like carrots come from China. The Doi Kham and Rimping brands are no more money. We pay 35 Baht for 500 grams of organic veggies from Rimping Organic Farm - like paak boon, rocket, cos lettuce, etc. At the Doi Kahm shops and through their distributors, most items like a huge pack of cos lettuce is 20 Baht, potatoes - 20 Baht, a bag of bell peppers - 20-30 Baht, etc.

We rarely ever go to MM market anymore, but this time of year we go every few days for avocados. We used to have a guy who delivered coconuts in our moobaan for about 5 years, which was convenient as they are difficult to transport. But one day - he completely disappeared and closed his telephone number, so now we are back to hauling them back home.

The lettuces at CMU Royal Project are in a league of their own...the outside markets at CMU are hit and miss.  Ton Payom is about 100 meters down Suthep, but is generally filthy, but the candies are good.  For a restaurant, I would go over by Us consulate, but still get my salad at RP.

On 2/3/2019 at 7:35 PM, eyecatcher said:

I would say supoermarket produce has a far greater chance that its full of pesticides, look at it, its been selected, almost perfect. Maybe its been genetically created?

At a supermarket youre paying for rents, staff salaries, transport and distribution, warehouse outlets because they are big business and need more money to operate.

The old dear on the market may grow half her stuff in her garden, she cant afford pesticides so really its not too far from being organic. See a few wormholes, thats perfect you know its good. Overheads, well besides a 1m baht truck they spend 70bt to rent a market stall every day.

After buying fruit from makro for a good while, just because i  was there, i now realise their fruit is actually either tasteless, a week under ripe or a week over ripe.

Fruits from your local market are fresh or two days to ripe.

Its a choice, and markets dont suit everyone, especially snobs

They have already done studies on this, more than once. Both the market and the supermarket vegetables are filled with chemicals. Only some of the organic vegetables you buy in either place are actually organic. And they are generally incredibly high levels of chemicals at that.

Google will set you free.

Archived