Inglsh n CM.....OMG, rlly rlly bad.....Flower Festival in CM

puukao

So I went to the Chiang Mai Flower Festival; however, all I saw was "To the Tourist and Festival"   "Chiang Mai Welcome Smile"

I know nobody cares what a farang English teacher might say, and nobody's gonna be askng those farangs about the sign beforehand.......but how in the world is every public sign sooooooo amazingly incorrect.......????

This is simply further proof the decades of English "teachers" failed to deliver.  Oh, you from Ahhhhmerika and speaka English, dai mai?  ok, ok, you teach us....put your backpack over there.  lol

we all have our little things....i like to look at the big, big signs that make zero sense.  lol.  

if your home country had a parade, and a great one at that, of course people would realize if they had the language all wrong and made zero sense.  Imagine London having a big Thai parade but, in Thai, it read something that made zero sense.  it would be hilarious.  

maybe i'm just more aware than others.  

with all the time to make such great floats, maybe, just maybe have some signs that make a little sense.  

I don't think translation into any other languages comes high on the Thai list of priorities but there again I'd probably say the same thing about my own homeland for that matter though I do think we'd at least ask a foreign person to proof read it for us first.  Think all TVF members would volunteer to do that for them but for the fact immigration say we are not allowed to do any work, even voluntary, on pain of deportation.

The irony is that Thailand hires native English speakers from USA, UK, Australia to teach English but it still fare worse than neighbouring countries  who don't hire native English teachers.

This shows that those English teachers can't teach effectively. 

23 hours ago, sfokevin said:

A few years ago I belonged to the California Wow gym... The guys that worked there used to wear these little silver vests that said “We Love to Service” on the back...

Sadly it was also a bad translation... ????

So what's the proper sentence? We love to provide a level of service that is exemplary?

8 minutes ago, EricTh said:

The irony is that Thailand hires native English speakers from USA, UK, Australia to teach English but it still fare worse than neighbouring countries  who don't hire native English teachers.

I think it’s more connected to the proficiency of the Thai teachers of English.

1 hour ago, lemonjelly said:

I think it’s more connected to the proficiency of the Thai teachers of English.

No. If you bother to go to the schools teaching English, most are native English teachers. There is no lack of them because millions from English speaking countries want to teach in Thailand.

In fact, the ads say 'only native English speakers are allowed to apply'...

There are few schools that do hire Filipino teachers but they are the minority.

23 minutes ago, EricTh said:

No. If you bother to go to the schools teaching English, most are native English teachers. There is no lack of them because millions from English speaking countries want to teach in Thailand.

In fact, the ads say 'only native English speakers are allowed to apply'...

There are few schools that do hire Filipino teachers but they are the minority.

All Thai secondary schools have English on their curriculum and it’s down to the Thai English teachers to teach grammar, this is typically 5-6 periods per week with 1 period per week with a foreign teacher.

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 1:33 AM, fruitman said:

Be carefull now mate, there posters here who want you to speak thai or go home....i'm waiting for them to pop up.

I'd never tell someone to go home because they didn't speak Thai, but how can anyone that LIVES in Thailand expect to survive if they don't speak any Thai? Outside the cities like Bkk, C M and Pattaya the chances of finding someone that speaks good English are not guaranteed.

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'd never tell someone to go home because they didn't speak Thai, but how can anyone that LIVES in Thailand expect to survive if they don't speak any Thai? Outside the cities like Bkk, C M and Pattaya the chances of finding someone that speaks good English are not guaranteed.

Well maybe they have a Thai partner who helps them? 

Even many French/Chinese/Koreans/Japanese/Russians who can't speak a word english live in Thailand.....

Even in BKK the staff can't speak english but plenty of bypassers do and will offer to help....

On 2/3/2019 at 5:54 PM, puukao said:

we all have our little things....i like to look at the big, big signs that make zero sense.  lol.  

if your home country had a parade, and a great one at that, of course people would realize if they had the language all wrong and made zero sense.  Imagine London having a big Thai parade but, in Thai, it read something that made zero sense.  it would be hilarious.  

with all the time to make such great floats, maybe, just maybe have some signs that make a little sense.  

If all you do is criticize, why live here? Who cares about the English at a Flower Festival? The festival was to satisfy the thousands of Chinese tourists who came here over the weekend and to boost the local economy.

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 3:31 PM, fruitman said:

Well maybe they have a Thai partner who helps them? 

Even many French/Chinese/Koreans/Japanese/Russians who can't speak a word english live in Thailand.....

Even in BKK the staff can't speak english but plenty of bypassers do and will offer to help....

Perhaps all the French/Chinese/Koreans/Japanese/Russians who can't speak a word English speak Thai.

Even a Thai partner can't be with the non Thai speaking one all the time. It's not even difficult to learn the essential words. If I could do it anyone can.

If all you do is criticize, why live here? Who cares about the English at a Flower Festival? The festival was to satisfy the thousands of Chinese tourists who came here over the weekend and to boost the local economy.

Right. The flowers were great and appreciated by most. Only a pea brain would go there to study English.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Perhaps, in wanting to translate into English, the signmaker relied on Google or some other translation app.  Assuming that whatever came up was correct English--and sadly not knowing any better, he went with it.

On 2/3/2019 at 5:54 PM, puukao said:

London wouldn't have a Thai parade off its own back though would it? Carnival in London was created by Caribbean expats and the sons/daughters of slaves who helped rebuild the country after WW2. A Thai parade would be organised by Thai expats, so they'd be well versed in the Thai language and Thai signs would be correct. The people who organise the CM Flower Festival want to accommodate, the best they can, for people like yourself but sometimes it ain't perfect. You'd complain just as much if there was zero English I'm sure.

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:08 PM, EricTh said:

You don't think there could be a learning deficiency in the students then?

Archived