Marriage visa now a better alternative

9 hours ago, bbi1 said:

What happens if the married people don't live in the same house? A pic in front of both houses? lol

But how would they know you don't live in the same house. The last time we had our friends come to our house for the photo session, IO would not accept them on minor technicalities, farang friend on photo, not allowed etc. So we went down to the friends house and our photos take there, IO was satisfied.

But anyone thinking of using an agent for the extension, agents will only work with retirement extensions as I believe these can be processed in your local IO and not sent to Bangkok like a marriage extension.

15 minutes ago, vogie said:

But how would they know you don't live in the same house.

<snip>

A Home Visit by Immigration and or talking to the neighbors and asking them if the couple is really living together ???

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, vogie said:

But how would they know you don't live in the same house. ...

Home Visits are standard for marriage-based extensions.  The rules are "de-facto and de-jure" - so if you don't live together, you don't qualify.  Most of the "extra hoops" they set up are useless for detecting marriage-fraud (as you pointed out with the pics at another house), so only work a way to discourage marriage-based applications.  But, the home-visits actually do make sense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JackThompson said:

Home Visits are standard for marriage-based extensions.  The rules are "de-facto and de-jure" - so if you don't live together, you don't qualify.  Most of the "extra hoops" they set up are useless for detecting marriage-fraud (as you pointed out with the pics at another house), so only work a way to discourage marriage-based applications.  But, the home-visits actually do make sense.

How standard are the home visits, I have been here 6 years and have yet to have one.

5 minutes ago, vogie said:

How standard are the home visits, I have been here 6 years and have yet to have one.

4 years Marriage extension in Pattaya, 1 home visit by IO.

2 years Marriage extension here in Buriram, 1 Home visits (after the 1st extension) but they were not from Immigration but from Local Police together with Village Chief with A4 (double sided) full of questions which a lot were about our relationship (so I think they were send by Immigration)

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Boon Mee said:

Think you'll find it's a lot more hassle doing the Marriage Extension. 

Aside from the items mentioned above, if you don't have children, you need to get a 'guarantor' to show up at the Immigration interview plus his picture with you and your missus in front of your house. 

To add insult to injury, Immigration used to require a picture of you and the wife in your bedroom. 

For an additional 400k baht, it's a lot easier to do the Retirement Extension. 

The "guarantor" isn't a big deal, I just took the immigration to the condo office, I have a friend who literally grabbed a motorbike taxi guy (who knew him) from the corner.

Immigration is really just checking for cohabitation, 2 toothbrushes in the bathroom, mens and womens shoes in the cupboard etc. 

5 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

When we renew the visa they ALWAYS want a pic of us with the house number clearly visible.

On our first application IO came to the house and took pics of us outside the front gate, and also inside the house. No visits since, but they also want a copy of my TM30 each year.

I guess as Ubonjoe states different offices different interpretation of the rules....:biggrin:

Yes I agree, the photo we used for our house number was indeed our house, the rest as I said my friends house. Every year there does appear to be a new set of obstacles put in place, if agents are still going to be a viable proposition I'm sure many will go down that route, self included, its getting to the stage that it is just not worth the hassle anymore.

I just wonder what the criteria is for paying a home visit, it would appear as not as standard as one poster suggests.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, vogie said:

I just wonder what the criteria is for paying a home visit, it would appear as not as standard as one poster suggests.

As with all policies, it varies by office, and from one year to the next.

I have yet to read a report of anyone using an agent getting a home-visit, so those who don't actually meet the stated qualifications probably use agents.

• Like 1

I have been on marriage extns for 10 years based on income.

I have spent the last 6 weeks getting online banking from my UK account up and running.

Mainly because the card reader they require you to use didn't arrive until just this last weekend. 

I hope the 1st year leniency clause holds up for my next extn in mid December....

1 minute ago, Andycoops said:

I have spent the last 6 weeks getting online banking from my UK account up and running.

Mainly because the card reader they require you to use didn't arrive until just this last weekend. 

I hope the 1st year leniency clause holds up for my next extn in mid December....

Out of interest Andy, how many home visits?

2 hours ago, Spaniel said:

My wife and I were married in the USA.     Wouldn't it be easier to just get married again here in Thailand then we would have the marriage certificate in Thai and not have to mess around with translations etc?

you can only get married once to the same person, unless you get a divorce first

7 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

afaik all card readers are the same, you could have borrowed somes

17 minutes ago, tilaceer said:

Two weeks ago I started the process of changing from Retirement to Marriage and, apart from an initial misunderstanding, my local IO could not have been more helpful.

Now I never have to worry about bringing money over again for visa requirements, as the 400k does not have to be an international transfer, and we will just transfer this much locally into a bank account created just for this purpose for the months prior to resubmittal, then transfer back into the joint account.

Glad to read a story like this where it all worked out.  Do be prepared to keep the 400K in that account during the "under consideration" period, for future applications, in case this policy comes to your office.

I always use a 1y Visa instead of an extension as my wife leaves for 26 Years in Europe where she has permanent residency. I live in our properties in Thailand. I always wonder why people can bare such treatment when they apply for an extension. What is the benefit of an extension?

Gesendet von iPad mit Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

23 hours ago, biggerpill said:

Having been coming to Thailand for over 8 years and married to a thai lady I find the new retirement visa rules a big joke...I an about to retire and DO NOT need to jump thru do many hoops..trying to simplify my life..I support many thai households with constant construction on my wife,s farm.1.1thwy do not appreciate us.. I will look for.country that does and just come as a tourist when I can..they made my life difficult just to register a motorcycle in my name even though I have a marriage visa, bank account in thai,own  condo in bkk, but want a work permit..<deleted>  idiot's.. bike now in wifes name..I run a.very large agency in USA and not tolerant of beauracratic bullshit...and the.embassies are worthless in this fight...

Signed an ex,-expat

M

A very wise decision indeed, which will facilitate you to run your very large agency in the USA. All the best!

• Like 1

While I'm not married and have no plans to get married, I must say that I find the process for an extension based on marriage as per reports here and elsewhere unnecessarily intrusive and - depending on the immigration office - sometimes outright denigrating to the applicant and his wife.

For this reason, even if it were an alternative for me (at least on paper), I would have a hard time to submit myself to that nonsense. Photos taken in the bedroom, clothes in the wardrobe being checked, neighbors being questioned about my marriage? Count me out!

• Like 2

I lived in Thailand 9 years and married a Thai woman, had a marriage visa but was talked into changing to a retirement visa. Got divorced and went back to the states for heart operation then a hip replacement. I want to come back to Thailand and get married again to my former wife. Will I have to jump threw hoops again.

While I'm not married and have no plans to get married, I must say that I find the process for an extension based on marriage as per reports here and elsewhere unnecessarily intrusive and - depending on the immigration office - sometimes outright denigrating to the applicant and his wife.

For this reason, even if it were an alternative for me (at least on paper), I would have a hard time to submit myself to that nonsense. Photos taken in the bedroom, clothes in the wardrobe being checked, neighbors being questioned about my marriage? Count me out!

For that reason I use a visa instead of an extension

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 minutes ago, wobalt said:

For that reason I use a visa instead of an extension

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Same... No financials required and no reporting to Imm every 90 days..

I work 10 week on, 10 week off so suits me perfectly. If I don't have time to get a visa then I just use 30 day exempts for a while until I have a chance to get another Multi Non O

• Like 1