Marriage visa now a better alternative

22 minutes ago, Mister T said:

My last 5 renewals on marriage visa in two different provinces required photos on the bed, us pointing at our clothes in the wardrobe and sitting at the dinner table with food in front of us. The photo at the front of the house had to show us + house number + roof and ground level in the same shot.

Can anyone advise just what CW BKK wants these days in terms of numbers and types of photos for marriage extensions?

And also where CW BKK is on the issue of requiring or not requiring that witnesses be brought along?

My last 5 renewals on marriage visa in two different provinces required photos on the bed, us pointing at our clothes in the wardrobe and sitting at the dinner table with food in front of us. The photo at the front of the house had to show us + house number + roof and ground level in the same shot.
The good old pointing ritual, priceless!
[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Part of getting married in Thailand is submitting affidavits (from your embassy) stating you are not married and free to marry etc. Also a little difficult if wife is presenting passport, ID etc using married name.

I was thinking the same.

You'd be in some very murky legal water there. 

Essentially lying to get the affidavit, and God knows what name is in the passport.

I know my wife has her married name in her passport. And since they got married in the US that would have to be true for immigration and Green Card purposes

Edited by GinBoy2

As I understand it, IOs are under pressure to ensure that any marriage extensions they issue are legit and when they sign off on one they are potentially putting themselves on the line should it later turn out not to have been.  They will likely be antsier/more thorough in locations where there is a higher incidence or risk of fraud and where they do not know any of the people involved or for any other reason feel uncertain about  whether it is on the up-and-up. 

They could already skip all applicants which have married overseas especially In Europe or the US as the divorce laws there would be very strict.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I was thinking the same.

You'd be in some very murky legal water there. 

Essentially lying to get the affidavit, and God knows what name is in the passport.

I know my wife has her married name in her passport. And since they got married in the US that would have to be true for immigration and Green Card purposes

I don’t know about the US but in Germany it was checked over 3 month before approval. Thailand check as well in the Amphoes

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, wobalt said:

As I understand it, IOs are under pressure to ensure that any marriage extensions they issue are legit and when they sign off on one they are potentially putting themselves on the line should it later turn out not to have been.  They will likely be antsier/more thorough in locations where there is a higher incidence or risk of fraud and where they do not know any of the people involved or for any other reason feel uncertain about whether it is on the up-and-up. 

Easy to avoid that:

1. Is the applicant from a country with lower wage-levels than Thailand, so have a reason to fake a marriage?  If so, go check it out.
  2. When you visited their home, did it look like they lived there, and did the people living nearby say they were frequently seen together for months or years prior?  Take a pic while you are there for the superiors.

Add the form, fee, marriage and financial-docs, and Done.  No applicant-pics with special poses, no landlord-docs, no grillings, no "extra requirement" hassles. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, howardprice said:

Eighteen months ago, I went back to OZ to get an ..O_A multi retirement visa from Thai Emb Canberra...

I av got an extension of 12 months on it in Laos, in Oct..No prob...Still no B800 in bank worries..

To avoid this new regulation of money in bank all year, I intend to do same as money is not req in bank all year in OZ.....

Cost of plane fare etc, is well worth the trip as one splits cost over 2 years...

As one is on a pension, I do not av excess money to just lay in bank ....Cheers

Did you go to the Thai consulate in Laos to get an extension? With an OA visa you simply need to exit Thailand to anywhere and then re enter just before the first year expiry date and they will stamp you in for 12 months anyway. You can then exit and re enter during those next 12 months as long as you get a re entry permit.

On 2/4/2019 at 11:38 AM, biggerpill said:

Having been coming to Thailand for over 8 years and married to a thai lady I find the new retirement visa rules a big joke...I an about to retire and DO NOT need to jump thru do many hoops..trying to simplify my life..I support many thai households with constant construction on my wife,s farm.1.1thwy do not appreciate us.. I will look for.country that does and just come as a tourist when I can..they made my life difficult just to register a motorcycle in my name even though I have a marriage visa, bank account in thai,own  condo in bkk, but want a work permit..<deleted>  idiot's.. bike now in wifes name..I run a.very large agency in USA and not tolerant of beauracratic bullshit...and the.embassies are worthless in this fight...

Signed an ex,-expat

M

I have 2 bikes registered in my name, 1 new and one used. I purchased both on either visa exempt or an METV. No mention or request of a work permit 

I hope no one minds if I jump in with a question.

Is it possible to get a marriage visa (extension of stay) with a police caution on their record? I want to be honest but I`m worried sick about if I should tell immigration or not. I don`t want to be declined. It was for property damage over 10 years ago. Rehabilitated by British law but would still show up on a standard check. I was stupid and kicked a wing mirror a few times and a policeman saw me and he did his job.

7 minutes ago, Jasia said:

I hope no one minds if I jump in with a question.

Is it possible to get a marriage visa (extension of stay) with a police caution on their record? I want to be honest but I`m worried sick about if I should tell immigration or not. I don`t want to be declined. It was for property damage over 10 years ago. Rehabilitated by British law but would still show up on a standard check. I was stupid and kicked a wing mirror a few times and a policeman saw me and he did his job.

You have nothing to worry about since immigration does not do background checks. At the most the only thing they do is a Interpol wants and warrants check.

On 2/5/2019 at 12:40 PM, Peterw42 said:

Doesn't that equate to leaving and returning during your 10 weeks off ?

I don't understand your statement about not having to report to IO every 90 days. I thought 90 day reports were required for all visas. Please enlighten, Thank you.

On 2/4/2019 at 7:22 PM, ubonjoe said:

Yes she would need do it to register your marriage at a Amphoe to get a Kor Ror 22 required to apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai.

Sorry to butt in, could I ask

If you have a Thai marriage Cert, to get a an updated Kor Ror 2, from Bangkok, for a extension application in another province. Is it something you can get by post? or do you have to go in person? How long would the updated KR be acceptable for?

19 minutes ago, johnwf1963 said:

Sorry to butt in, could I ask

If you have a Thai marriage Cert, to get a an updated Kor Ror 2, from Bangkok, for a extension application in another province. Is it something you can get by post? or do you have to go in person? How long would the updated KR be acceptable for?

The system is computerised and the information linked to her ID card, you can get the KS2 at any Amphur office, no need to go to the one where you married.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Jasia said:

May I ask how is it possible to come into Thailand on a 90 day non O and then apply for an extension of stay based on marriage when you are suppose to supply the 400,00 baht for two months in a Thai bank account?

1. Arrive on Non-O and get 90-days
  2. Put money in account
  3. Before the 90-days is up, and after the money has been in the account for 2 months, apply for the 1-year extension
  4. Expect to be denied-access to your money for another month or two during the "under consideration" period, at some offices (using this as a back-door way to increase the specified seasoning requirement)

If any delay / need more time for the money-seasoning apply for a 60-day extension to the 90-day Non-O stay, to "visit your family" - which does not require the money.

On 2/3/2019 at 6:27 PM, ubonjoe said:

I chose that option many years ago. I am on my 11th extension based upon marriage now.

You can change the reason for your current extension to marriage when it or near to expiring.

Here is my general list of required documents. Marriage Extension Requirements 2.pdf

Thanks Ubonjoe. Just to clarify;

- what is acceptable as "Proof of Residence"? My wife is still on her Blue Book at her home.

- Is a Kor Ror 2 required for Thai marriages? Is the Thai wedding certificate acceptable?

Thanks

2 minutes ago, MichaelJohn said:

what is acceptable as "Proof of Residence"? My wife is still on her Blue Book at her home.

A rental agreement with signed copies of the owners house book and ID card.

2 minutes ago, MichaelJohn said:

s a Kor Ror 2 required for Thai marriages? Is the Thai wedding certificate acceptable?

You need a Kor Ror 2 marriage registry and your marriage certificate (Kor Ror 3). You wife can get a printout of the Kor Ror 2 at any Amphoe by showing her ID card and completing a form requesting it. The fee is 20 baht for it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MichaelJohn said:

what is acceptable as "Proof of Residence"?

This varies by office.  The most extensive list is:

• Rental Lease/Contract copy
  • Copy of Owners ID Card (front and back), signed by owner
  • Copy of Owners House Book, signed by owner
  • Copy of House Book of where you live, signed by owner
  • Copy of Chanote of where you live, proving purchase by the owner, signed by owner
  • Up-To-Date TM-30 receipt in your passport for this address.

You might not need all that, but if the office doesn't want to process your marriage-based extension (w/o agent involvement/money), they might demand the full list.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 5:37 PM, steve187 said:

you will be so sadly missed, look at the hoops required for the wife in your home country

Yeah, theses guys that are packing up and acting like they are God's gift to Thailand are going to be so missed by the Thais. A sad sad day for them. What would the Thais do without their stingy spending habits and invariably demanding needs. Poor poor Thais. Oh what will they do when they lose they whiny, stingy. scroogelike bastards? 

4 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

Yeah, theses guys that are packing up and acting like they are God's gift to Thailand are going to be so missed by the Thais. A sad sad day for them. What would the Thais do without their stingy spending habits and invariably demanding needs. Poor poor Thais. Oh what will they do when they lose they whiny, stingy. scroogelike bastards? 

I don't think many that leave think like that.

Often it's just Thailand fatigue, or like us, just wanna do a bit of both.

Stockholm Syndrome can be a powerful thing for many a farang in Thailand, and blinds them to reality.

I'm fine with few months a years now, just don't want it full time, don't want the lunacy all the time.

Those that complain so strongly about any criticism of Thailand, are I suggest hiding some inner doubts!

• Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 5:37 PM, steve187 said:

you will be so sadly missed, look at the hoops required for the wife in your home country

The difference is, once she’s in, she’s in. She won’t have to spend the rest of her life jumping through moving visa hoops.

It’s worth the effort.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

No one is acting like God’s gift, They either no longer meet the requirements or they finally came to their senses. One or the other. 

I actually feel sorry for the ones choosing to stay, all the while thinking they are secure and this is the last change in the visas. They are just warming up. Enjoy it while you still can.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcnx said:

No one is acting like God’s gift, They either no longer meet the requirements or they finally came to their senses. One or the other. 

I actually feel sorry for the ones choosing to stay, all the while thinking they are secure and this is the last change in the visas. They are just warming up. Enjoy it while you still can.

Thats the real nub of it. 

When you take your spouse to mythical magical 'farangland' they are an immigrant, and when they land are essentially no different to any other citizen of that country

As a  farang in Thailand, you are never more than in reality a long term tourist.

People on here often refer to retirement visas. No such thing. They are in effect simply an extension to various short term visas.

Tourists in any country have zero citizen rights, protections or work privileges

• Like 2